Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Semifinals)

Was this swift USFA demise planned beforehand, or added because of time constraints? Even if not, I still love how it happens (conpletely plausible IMO), and it’s a perfect segway into the Rebels issue. Personally, I want the name to stay but with a redesign that does away with the Confederate-inspired imagery (I could see them move to a Revolutionary War inspired look, because IIRC no team has one of those currently), as I think that “Atlanta Rebels” is just a great and unique name.  

USFA died in flames of failure and stupid racist remarks. Really sad but it deserved it. Hopefully the AFA teams will score big time with the demise of the spring league and regain their lost players. But now what will happen to my California Atoms? Or Disney and American Football in general in this universe?

As for the Rebels, name change is gonna happen but I hope it won't. While the Rebels isn't a bad name for a team the placement of said team and their  logo is bad choice. I honestly think they need to change the logo and image of the team and organization to match with modern time. So yea, i hope they get rid of the southern soldier and replace it with something better.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:53 AM, BellaSpurs said:

As awesome as it is to see the Victory Bowl logos and stuff. We understand that this isn’t the most important thing and your life and I know most will support whatever you do in this.

Excited to see where the Comets could go in the 90s. Would be interesting for the Ghosts to go for a “horror” aesthetic and add black or red or even orange. Especially if they do go through a rough time. Purple and red is such and underused color combination imo and could work very well for the ghosts. 

I wanted the Ghosts to be purple and orange when I first started, but it didn't seem right for the 1940s.  Really, in retrospect, I probably should have given them an orange and white color scheme to start with and added the purple later.  However, my general plan has been tilting them toward black and purple in the 1990s.  I added the grey to their look as a sort of stepping stone in that direction, but they have now won a lot of games in purple and grey.  They might have to get pretty bad to make the change now.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:34 PM, TargetToad said:

The Krewe need a flashy 90s update with like 10 colors and a million sharp points like the NHL Panhers original look.

As for the Whales, they could be a BFBS candidate that would actually make sense (since whales are black and the 1952 old Whales logo actually had a drawing of a black whale)

I'm looking forward very much to the 1990s Krewe look, and have been since they were first introduced.

I hadn't thought of the Whales as BFBS, but you're right.  Black/blue/white is one of my favorite color schemes (yay Estonia!), and I've always intended to add a team with that combo at some point.

23 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

Gotta be honest, I would love to see what the LA Comets would look like going BFBS. I personally think it would fit well as an alternative home uniform then their main one. Like for select games or playoff appearance.

Also I still want the eggplant and teal one as their main one if you still considering it.

Also since I'm still waiting for my California Atoms sig, is there one for the Houston Hurricanes? If not then can you create one please?

I'm really pretty sure that the Comets will end up in black at some point.  They were supposed to finish the story in black and lime, but with how things have evolved, I'm not sure they'll get there.  Portland has a cleaner path there, unless they go back to red and green at some point.

I totally forgot about the sig request.  Remind me after the Victory Bowl.  I don't have a Hurricanes one either.

17 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Was this swift USFA demise planned beforehand, or added because of time constraints? Even if not, I still love how it happens (conpletely plausible IMO), and it’s a perfect segway into the Rebels issue. Personally, I want the name to stay but with a redesign that does away with the Confederate-inspired imagery (I could see them move to a Revolutionary War inspired look, because IIRC no team has one of those currently), as I think that “Atlanta Rebels” is just a great and unique name.  

It wasn't my original plan.  O'Malley was going to flame out, but not like that.  Actually, my original plan was for the USFA to either be crushed by the AFA (which would have involved an 1952-like expansion where two teams would have been transitioned over) or to become a sort of AAA league.  With time constraints, I didn't have the ability to go through with it anymore, though I was changing my mind on the plan anyway.

Atlanta's redesign is already finished, and has been since May.  I've known exactly what their identity was going to be for years.

12 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

USFA died in flames of failure and stupid racist remarks. Really sad but it deserved it. Hopefully the AFA teams will score big time with the demise of the spring league and regain their lost players. But now what will happen to my California Atoms? Or Disney and American Football in general in this universe?

As for the Rebels, name change is gonna happen but I hope it won't. While the Rebels isn't a bad name for a team the placement of said team and their  logo is bad choice. I honestly think they need to change the logo and image of the team and organization to match with modern time. So yea, i hope they get rid of the southern soldier and replace it with something better.

The Atoms experiment was an abject failure.  Until the utter collapse of the Spiders and Commandos, they were the franchise that lost the most money.  The only reason that they weren't on the list of financially unstable franchises is that Disney had too much money for it to matter much in the short run.

No Offense to Cliffe, I hope the Captains sign Manny Rowe in all of the Chaos

They are loudly competing for his services.

Damn, what an incredibly stupid way for that league to go. I think it might be covered in the next update, but if not, which teams are more likely to get new stadiums and which teams are closer to leaving right now?

44 minutes ago, Veras said:

The Atoms experiment was an abject failure.  Until the utter collapse of the Spiders and Commandos, they were the franchise that lost the most money.  The only reason that they weren't on the list of financially unstable franchises is that Disney had too much money for it to matter much in the short run.

I honestly agree with that. Disney didn't really know how to run a franchise at that point so them mishandling the operation would be a good factor. Still would have been nice to see them get another shot in the future. I can also see how Disney lost money on the project and them wanting to get rid of it as soon as possible. I mean the Southern California area already had the established Comets but also other sports teams from other leagues. Surprised that Disney didn't put their full weight like they did with the Mighty Ducks in RL. They put on a show for the hockey fans so missed opportunity for the Atoms here in your story.

Will any USFA teams be transferring? Will the USFA affect the next expansion market? I’d think so do to the show of the bigger fan bases of the good teams. The bad teams however. I don’t think they would’ve gotten a chance anyway.

Excited to see what you roll out for Atlanta. The historian side of me wants to keep the rebels name bc it’s been there so long. But the designer in me wants to just blow up their identity.

41 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Will any USFA teams be transferring? Will the USFA affect the next expansion market? I’d think so do to the show of the bigger fan bases of the good teams. The bad teams however. I don’t think they would’ve gotten a chance anyway.

Excited to see what you roll out for Atlanta. The historian side of me wants to keep the rebels name bc it’s been there so long. But the designer in me wants to just blow up their identity.

1. I truly expect that the stronger USFA markets will be truly strong AFA expansion candidates (for IRL example, if it hadn't been for the Jacksonville Bulls' success, there'd be no Jacksonville Jaguars)

2. Whatever they do, I'm ready to see that Confederate imagery GONE FOR GOOD.

Going by your original plan to have 2 teams jump over, does that mean the War-On-I-4 is jumping to the AFA? :lol:

Also, Louisville is definitely the Jacksonville of this universe. (And IMO, either OKC or Indy should get team #30, with the other and North Carolina (Charlotte or Raleigh) getting teams #31 and #32).

Oof, I wasn't expecting the USFA to fold like that, but then again, that's what you get for allowing a jerk like O'Malley to own a team. Anyway, are the Whales still trying to move to that new stadium in Oakland? What's the name of that stadium? I'm looking forward to 1991, and the Rebels' new name and branding (Although we probably won't see it until next offseason obviously, but you get the picture)!

5 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Going by your original plan to have 2 teams jump over, does that mean the War-On-I-4 is jumping to the AFA? :lol:

Also, Louisville is definitely the Jacksonville of this universe. (And IMO, either OKC or Indy should get team #30, with the other and North Carolina (Charlotte or Raleigh) getting teams #31 and #32).

I’d love to see Louisville snag a team. I think they have to highest chance to. Oklahoma would also be my guess as the second highest chance of getting an AFA team (out of the USFA teams) But I could totally see another city coming in and getting it too. I don’t think Indy will get a team if Louisville does tbh, too close together and I think with Louisville’s close proximity to Cincy, their outstanding support would be the only reason they’re considered. Maybe a city like Buffalo could get a team back. There’s a lot of possibilities

Whatever happens with teams transferring or simple expansion, Charlotte should absolutely get a team here. The city has been growing for quite a bit for a while now, plus the Hornets should be proving that a major league team can exist in the city (if the NBA is around in this timeline, I've forgotten). Additionally, I'm all for Louisville gaining a team, and both OKC and Indy seem nice, but I think you'd have to pick between Louisville and Indy, since they'd be right around Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee. Either way, I can't wait to see how this story continues!

Looking at the division alignment, OKC could easily slide into the Southern division with Texas, Houston, Arizona, and New Orleans. While Lousiville could easily slide in to the Northern Division with Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Detroit.

I love the storylines you come up with! How the scandal and collapse of the USFA ripples into the AFA is great! I was wondering how it was gonna go down. I'm glad it wasnt just a simple "the league is poor, attendance and viewership dropped, the end". I am looking forward to what becomes of Atlanta. I am also hoping that New York or New Jersey are getting in on signing star players from the USFA! 

EVERYBODY LAUGH AT BUBBA AND ATLANTA

LAUGH AT THEM, I SAY

Wow, that's quite the way to go out. I like how Tennessee turned into a smoldering crater, essentially.

Coaching Changes

10 teams would see new head coaches on the sideline, including a few huge names.  The most notable change was in Pittsburgh, where Willie Krause finally retired after 36 years, 408 wins, and 8 championships.  Minnesota’s Rob Cole was fired after a total of 18 years with the team, including 11 as head coach.  John Logan, best known for leading the Washington Wasps to titles in 1975, 1977, and 1978 was also shown the door following four lackluster years in Atlanta.  While Cole didn’t have to wait long to receive new offers (he signed with the Miami Suns 10 hours after the Angels announced his termination), Logan will spend at least this year jobless.  Despite his impressive résumé, he has now washed out in Washington, Chicago, and Atlanta since 1982, and hasn’t led a team to the postseason since 1980.

The other seven coaches were not particularly notable.  Arizona, California, Los Angeles, Miami, Portland, St. Louis, and Washington let go coaches who had largely failed to impress.  Only Portland’s Eddy Gault and Arizona’s Jerry Danko had been with the team for more than 3 years, and none had led their team to the postseason more than once.

Cincinnati’s coordinators were among the hottest commodities on the market, with both OC Cy Washington (California) and DC Oscar Matthews (St. Louis) getting head coaching gigs.  With the exception of Pittsburgh, who promoted assistant head coach Neal Fabbro to fill Krause’s impossibly large shoes, the other teams looked to the college ranks for their hires.

Stadium News

Three teams are playing in new stadiums this year.  Detroit’s once state-of-the-art Autodome has been demolished, and construction has begun on the General Motors Dome, which will open in time for the 1992 season.  In the meantime, they will play their home games at The Big House in Ann Arbor.  The Minnesota Angels are moving across the river into Minneapolis, where they will begin play in the brand-new General Mills Stadium.  Finally, the Portland Dragons are opening the Schnitzer Steel Dome, less than half a mile to the east of their old home.

For the past several years, there has been a great deal of uncertainty regarding the future of AFA football in both Los Angeles and Baltimore, as the Comets and Royals have both been engaged in serious stadium disputes.  However, both teams appear to be safe in their regions.  The Comets will move out of the Coliseum in 1993, and will begin playing their home games at Anaheim Stadium, home of the Anaheim Stars baseball team (as well as the USFA’s California Comets).  Baltimore officials, on the other hand, have struck a deal with the team to build a new indoor stadium downtown.

Player Movement

The league’s quarterback carousel saw a significant shakeup thanks to the entry of two of the USFA’s most successful quarterbacks into the league.  Having played out their contracts, Louisville’s Manny Rowe and Carolina’s Lucien Desjardins both jumped to the AFA.  Competition for their services, particularly Rowe’s, was fierce in a league starved of field generals.  In the end, the New Orleans Krewe and Milwaukee Wolves won the contest, signing Rowe and Desjardins, respectively.

Rowe’s presence in the Crescent City meant that Donny Minor was expendable.  The first overall pick in the 1984 draft had never lived up to his potential but was still being paid like a superstar, and dropping him helped the team to lighten the payroll with the salary cap coming into effect in 1992.  He was ultimately cut before signing with the Boston Captains, which led to the team electing not to resign longtime starter Jon Cliffe, who will head to Seattle and becomes the Grizzlies’ presumptive starter on opening day.

Desjardin’s move to Milwaukee also had a secondary effect, as their former starter, Ray Oram, is headed to Portland where he will compete with former All-Star K.C. Baker for the QB1 job.  Additionally, Cleveland’s Therron Nikoloudis, who led the Ghosts to a title in 1984, will also have a change of scenery in 1991.  After losing out to sophomore Sam Mundy last season, Nikoloudis asked to be released.  He signed with his hometown Miami Suns, where he is a slight favorite to beat out former number three pick Bob Obradovic.

Notably, one team that was expecting to see a change under center will get their starter back.  Future Hall of Famer Ron Adams announced that he will return to the New York Imperials for one more season in pursuit of the Victory Bowl that has eluded him for his entire career.  The team is loaded with veteran talent, but the team’s age showed down the stretch in 1990.  This has sportswriters unsure of what to expect from the Imperials, to the extent that nobody would be surprised if they were to go 8-8, nor if they were to go 14-2.

Other big names to move include New Orleans TE Ron Murray, who signed with Texas; Colorado OLB Paulie May going to Boston; and 5-time All-Star CB Scott D’Angelico departing Minnesota for Los Angeles.

1991 AFA Draft

This year’s draft class wasn’t seen as being particularly strong, though there were a few notable exceptions, with MLB David Riley (USC), RB Mark Brown (Auburn), and guards Damon Terry (Miami) and Raul Quinones (Arizona St.) being head and shoulders above their peers.  Brown in particular drew a lot of interest, which put the Miami Suns, who held the first pick, in an interesting position.  They already have a star RB in Ken Yarbarough, and spent the 13th pick in last year’s draft on a MLB.  Determining that adding more draft capital would be more valuable than an interior lineman, they dealt the pick to New Jersey in exchange for moving down to 5th overall, plus first and fifth rounders next year.

Unsurprisingly, Mark Brown became a Shark and Baltimore took Riley with the second pick.  Both of the highly-touted guards fell slightly, as the Comets scooped up Steve Jackson (QB – USC) and the Dragons grabbed Frederick Britton (LOLB – Texas Tech) fourth.  The Suns were delighted to get the hometown hero Quinones with the 5th pick (the player that they had wanted all along), while Terry dropped to the Minnesota Angels 10th overall.

Season Preview

Cincinnati looks like the team to beat again, and in fact, may be even better in 1991 than they were in 1990, thanks to the late addition of former Louisville Brawlers RB Arthur Ocheltree, who should be a massive upgrade over their backfield from a year ago.

The Hurricanes are also poised to break through, though sportswriters are divided as to whether the young team will suffer from a Victory Bowl hangover or use their heartbreaking defeat as motivation to put them over the top.

The Boston Captains have also improved considerably thanks to the addition of Minor (assuming he can stay healthy) on offense and May on defense.  They’ve been on the brink of greatness for some time, and 1991 could be the year that they finally fulfil their potential.

The race for the number one pick is also an interesting one this year, thanks to the presence of Derek Hendrix (QB – Texas) in the upcoming draft class, who is probably the most polished prospect since Donny Minor in 1984.

I don't think Minor isn't a bad consolation prize for not getting Rowe.