Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Semifinals)

CACAW CACAW!!!!! DR. DOOOOOOOM! That’s the way to finish on top!

What a win for the Kansas City Crows! Eleven years in, they're on the board! Unlucky for Boston though, they wasted their opportunities. The Crows' uniforms give me a New Orleans Saints vibe.

Coincidentally, the year 1991 was when the Adelaide Crows in Australia played their first ever season. So do the KC Crows go on an invincibility streak?

Well done, KC! You have pulled off the upset over Boston and have won the Victory Cup! Also, I know the Rebels are moving away from the Confederate imagery in the offseason, but are there any other uniform changes to expect for 1992? One things is for sure, with all the headlines in store (Atlanta rebranding as I mentioned before, potentially new TV contracts, and I think free agency either this offseason or the offseason after that, I don't remember exactly), 1992 is going to be a busy offseason for the AFA!

22 hours ago, TargetToad said:

Wow. So the Bobcats are the inferior 81 expansion team. SIGH

Kansas City beat them to a title, but Tampa ahead in most other metrics.  More wins, more playoff appearances, and they made it to a Victory Bowl faster.

22 hours ago, Darknes said:

You've got to be kidding..and this is why I'm generally pessimistic about them in the playoffs. Is there anyone I can blame a curse on?

Nothing as clear-cut as a goat having been kicked out of the stadium, but fans have long wondered if the franchise is somehow cursed.

19 hours ago, Red Comet said:

The Crows actually effing won?! I'm actually pretty thrilled and hell, feels good man. Whenever you can get to it, can you make a championship banner sig for the Crows? 

No problem.

Hold on, don't you normally end the season with a gif of a crow dejectedly drinking?  Shouldn't you have one of a crow with champagne or something?

17 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

What a win for the Kansas City Crows! Eleven years in, they're on the board! Unlucky for Boston though, they wasted their opportunities. The Crows' uniforms give me a New Orleans Saints vibe.

Coincidentally, the year 1991 was when the Adelaide Crows in Australia played their first ever season. So do the KC Crows go on an invincibility streak?

The Saints throwbacks inspired the Crows look, so there is a good reason for it, lol.

As for the Crows making a run of dominance... I doubt it.  They were underdogs for a reason this year - they're a pretty good, but not truly great team.  They do have a few bright young stars, most notably RB Dyron Battle (24) and rookie of the year WR Brent Haacke (22), but their core is old.  This is particularly true of the linebackers that have been the heart and soul of the team.  LOLB Minden Lincoln will be 35 next year, and both Adrian Doom and ROLB RIck Ortega will be 33.  QB John Vessey is almost impressively middle of the road, and at 31 years old, isn't likely to get much better.  I would expect them to be on the bubble of missing or making the postseason again, but I would think they're more likely to miss the postseason entirely than to repeat as champions (unless the Fountain of Youth is in Kansas City, which I guess isn't out of the question in the City of Fountains).

9 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

Well done, KC! You have pulled off the upset over Boston and have won the Victory Cup! Also, I know the Rebels are moving away from the Confederate imagery in the offseason, but are there any other uniform changes to expect for 1992? One things is for sure, with all the headlines in store (Atlanta rebranding as I mentioned before, potentially new TV contracts, and I think free agency either this offseason or the offseason after that, I don't remember exactly), 1992 is going to be a busy offseason for the AFA!

That's probably going to be the only major design change this year, though there should be some minor ones.  The Comets will rebrand in 1993 and the Grizzlies will do so in 1994, but those are the only big ones that are guaranteed in the next few years.

You're definitely right about this being a wild offseason for the AFA.  In fact, there have already been reports of major drama in Cincinnati.  Reggie Hart's contract is up, and at 35 years old, he's expecting to sign the last big extension of his career.  The Guardians, on the other hand, think he's past his prime and want him to take a much smaller contract to help them make one more title run before their window closes while also preparing for the launch of the salary cap in 1993.  The two sides are extremely far apart, and it seems almost impossible that they'll reach a real extension.  The Guardians could assign him protected status, but even that would only delay the issue by one year.  At this point, it's more likely than not that Hart plays at least one more season in blue and silver, but there is a not insubstantial chance that he could sit out the year or even leave town as a free agent or part of a trade.

20 hours ago, Veras said:

No problem.

Hold on, don't you normally end the season with a gif of a crow dejectedly drinking?  Shouldn't you have one of a crow with champagne or something? 

spacer.png

Not a gif but here's a cartoon of the Crows mascot drinking too much Old Crow right before the Victory Cup parade.