Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Semifinals)

Here is the Philadelphia alternate with a better balance between the thickness of the letter and the thickness of the outline.

1955_philadelphia_railers_alternate_by_v

Honestly the Railers new unis look like the Archie Manning era Ole Miss Uniforms

This is amazing. I'll definitely start giving some input.

Honestly the Railers new unis look like the Archie Manning era Ole Miss Uniforms

Yeah, I was concerned about that. When I combined the colors (which I got from the Wikipedia page on the American Flag) with the shoulder stripes that they had on their old uniform, that was what I ended up with. Here is a second proposal, along with the previous uniform and the first option for reference. Naturally, I welcome any feedback or suggestions to improve either of them.

Pre-1955 Uniform:

1954_philadelphia_railers_uniform_by_ver

New uniform option 1:

1955_philadelphia_railers_uniform_by_ver

New uniform option 2:

1955_philadelphia_railers_uniform_b_by_v

With those jerseys, I'm a big fan of Option 1's alternate.

With those jerseys, I'm a big fan of Option 1's alternate.

Thanks. So you're not concerned with the strong similarity to Ole Miss?

Two more updates for today:

First, the Guardians of Cincinnati, hoping to modernize their look, made a relatively small but important change by removing the shield from the chest and placing it on the helmet instead. Having designs on the jersey had been common before the 1920s, but by the 50s, Cincinnati was the only team left in the league with anything more complex than stripes or an arm patch. This also made the just the third team (behind Richmond and Houston) to have some sort of logo on their helmet.

Previous uniform:

1954_cincinnati_guardians_uniform_by_ver

New uniform:

1955_cincinnati_guardians_uniform_by_ver

And finally, 1955 marks the AFA's 10th season. In celebration of this, each team will wear the following Decennial Season patch. Here, it is displayed on the jersey of the defending champion Boston Captains.

1955___decennial_season__green_backgrounboston_1955_patch_by_verasthebrujah-d7zi

First, let me start with something that I meant to post with the Guardians new uniforms. The old logo (which I never finished to a degree that satisfied me) featured a football player carrying a shield with the flag of the city on it. The update simply eliminates the player and uses the shield exclusively.

1946_guardians_of_cincinnati_logo_by_ver1955_guardians_of_cincinnati_logo_by_ver

Second, I have the results for the 1955 season.

1955_season_by_verasthebrujah-d81jnaa.jp

The 1955 season was full of surprises and instability. The only team to repeat as division champions from the previous season was Houston, and they were very nearly dethroned by the Washington Wasps, who finished at 8-4 in only their second season of play. Washington's surprising success was fueled by the success of second-year running back John Campbell, who became the first player to rush for more than 1500 yards in a season.

Detroit reclaimed the Northern Division title, while the surprising Minnesota Angels won the West in their first winning season since joining the AFA (they also became the fourth different team to win the Western Division in the first four years of its existence).

The story of the season, however, was in the Eastern Division. With several of Boston's key players having retired at the end of the 1954 season, there was little doubt that New York would win the division. However, the margin by which they won it was shocking, as they posted a perfect 12-0 record, while none of their division rivals even managed to break .500. In six games they defeated Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh by a combined score of 151 - 16; and they won 10 of their 12 games in the season by double digits.

Unsurprisingly, New York was heavily favored to win the league championship, but they stumbled in the playoffs while Minnesota caught fire. In the semifinals, New York nearly fell to Detroit, surviving only after a goal line stand by there defense late in the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, the Angels pummeled Houston, 21-3. This led to a great degree of grumbling in Houston, as they had been eliminated in the semifinals in three consecutive years.

When the championship game began in Chicago, it at first appeared that the Imperials had returned to form as they jumped to a 10 - 0 lead in the first quarter. However, Minnesota came back behind an incredible performance by defensive lineman Norbert Langway, who forced two fumbles, both of which set up Minnesota field goals. The Angels finally got into the end zone with 6:27 remaining in the game to take a 13-10 lead, which they did not relinquish.

Finally, I need to announce that I will be temporarily stopping work on the AFA. I'm working on my thesis for my M.A., and it isn't going well. I've been stuck in the same place for two years, and I'm tired of having it hanging over my head. I want to have it finished by Christmas, and for that to be possible, I am going to have to devote a lot more time to it. The only time that I have to give is the time I spend on this. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish writing it in the next month or two, and then I can return to doing this (which, trust me, is a lot more enjoyable).

Okay, so I couldn't stay away.

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, many teams will be switching to new, considerably more modern logos. Teams with crest-like or highly detailed logos, such as San Francisco and St. Louis will be getting new logos within the next decade or so.

One of the first teams to make this change will be the Chicago Butchers. I like their old logo, which they have used since before the AFA was even founded, but it's time to replace it. I have a general design that I like, but I was hoping for some feedback regarding colors.

This was inspired by drdougfresh's fantastic entry for the Logolympiad Event 9.

1956_chicago_options_by_verasthebrujah-d

First of all, is it better with or without the outline? If I go with the outline, should I make both letters red with black outlines, or do one of each? I'm only worried about how this looks on a white background for now. Once I decide which one to use, it will be fairly simple to determine what I should do to it to make it work on a red or black background.

I like the one with no outline. I feel it keeps the "old school" feel better.

I basically agree with all three of the previous posts. I think that the first one looks the best, but the last one feels like a better fit for the mid 1950s. After going back and forth, and playing with the logo a bit more, I have narrowed it down to four options (including the two mentioned above).

1956_chicago_options__2__by_verasthebruj

Obviously, W1 and W4 were in the previous post. In W2, I added white borders to the letters as negative space, mostly because I realized that there will be white outlines no matter what when the logo is presented on a colored background. However, I felt like there was a slight bleeding effect when the red and black touched each other directly, and this eliminates the problem. For W3, I was hoping that making the letters bolder would keep the best qualities of W1 and W4.

For the colored backgrounds, it probably goes without saying, but B1 and R1 go together, as do B2 and R2. My instinct is to go with B/R 2, because, even with the outline, the letter disappears a bit when it is the same color as the background. That being said, B/R 1 would offer more consistency if I end up choosing W1, W2, or W3.

I'm all for W3, and the B/R 2 looks

what was the 10 worst afa teams of the first 10 years

Most of team were equal )) on first page is Season by season standings and champions

Veras, I have to tip my hat to you here.

I am a football fan and a history buff. This entire thread is like touring a museum.

The amount of work and detail that you have put into this project is commendable.

I would hope that you would someday be able to publish this in some sort of book or journal or whatnot.

I love the anticipation that you entice with your work. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!