New University of Southern Indiana Logos

uk-owns-iu

The University of Southern Indiana (based in Evansville, Indiana) has changed both their academic and athletic logos. While it has been widely reported here that this is the first change since 1985, that is not true although I am unsure of when the previous change was made. This was the logos when USI won their Div II championship in 1995 with Bruce Pearl as head coach (my favorite is the star which shows Evansville's position on the state)

eaglemg%20thumb.jpg

USI2.jpg

Then sometime in the 2000s the change was made to this (downgrade in my opinion)

Story.jpg

USI_Athletics_Eagle_Head.jpg

And now finally, we have the new ones unveiled this week:

1003401_10151939291556895_15389584585491

Personally, I like the star logo best. But of the two new ones. I like the torch and flame best because it's a part of the Indiana state flag. The other new logo looks like the love child of the Atlanta Hawks and Philadelphia Eagles. Thoughts?

I wish schools/teams would just update their previous logos, keeping the general elements and composition the same, but just modernizing the style. The Liberty Flames did a nice job of that recently. This update is an improvement style-wise, but the new eagle looks like something we have all seen before.

My nitpick would be the top left outline around the S which is meant to mirror the N's outline, and also the bland font choice (looks like Phoenix Design Works go to font).

All in all it's a solid modern logo, just nothing unique.

Archived