the admiral

Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

Sigh. Thanks, Sharks. I blame them for this happening.

I think that's the most frustrating part for me. This could have been over so many damn times.

Down 3-0. Down 3-2. Down to overtime in a third road Game 7. For Kings fans and the media, it's a story of resiliency and triumph and a dominant team for the ages and gag me. For everyone else, it's the story of a sixth seed that couldn't score worth a damn during the regular season and annoyingly scraped its way by three seven-game series dragging its disgusting excuse for a fan base with it (save for the few of you that becoming the ever so increasingly obvious exception to the rule).

It's just a formality now.

tumblr_m5hhtwYIqb1qcqqkzo1_500.gif

chickens_hatch.jpg

If they can overcome a 3-0 series deficit, there's no reason why they can't blow a 3-0 series lead.

That being said, if the series does by some miracle come down to Game 7, we can all imagine how it would end. :/

Silly Rangers fans you know Rangers Cups are are as rare as Haley's Comet

I hope they win it in their vastly superior road jerseys. I'd heard they were going to add real hem stripes to the black design in 2011 but the plans were nixed by Reebok. Too bad.

Going into next season, I feel it's almost LA/Chicago and 28 others. And yes, that includes Boston.

Since these are the two best teams in the league, everyone other then the B's is playing catchup.

Going into next season, I feel it's almost LA/Chicago and 28 others. And yes, that includes Boston.

Since these are the two best teams in the league, everyone other then the B's is playing catchup.

Nonsense. The Kings went to game 7 three times and were down 3-0 in round one. They're literally one bounce away from not being here. The Blackhawks or Ducks or even the Sharks could be in the finals right now. They aren't that much better than everyone else.

It's not Kings, Blackhawks, and everyone else, but there's a definite stratification setting in, which is very surprising for a salary-capped league playing a game of randomness.

Nonsense. The Kings went to game 7 three times and were down 3-0 in round one. They're literally one bounce away from not being here. The Blackhawks or Ducks or even the Sharks could be in the finals right now. They aren't that much better than everyone else.

The Sharks, as presently constituted, will never make the Stanley Cup Final. Said so before the season started and what a shock, they complete their biggest choke job yet which is really saying a lot.

The Sharks, as presently constituted, will never make the Stanley Cup Final. Said so before the season started and what a shock, they complete their biggest choke job yet which is really saying a lot.

Ugh. I knew somebody would get hung up on that and it wasn't the point I was trying to make or lead the discussion in that direction. I was trying to say the Kings aren't leagues above everybody else by essentially saying "they could've lost to the sharks of all teams"

Ah. That being said I agree with the consensus that the Kings and Hawks are two clear powerhouses. This is not to say either of them will definitely win it all next year, just that the cup will likely go through one of them.

Wait, do the Blues have a bunch of contracts up? I know they've been terrible after the first weekend of the playoffs, but they should be good, right?

These days, if you can come away with 2 Stanley Cups within a five year span, you should automatically considered an NHL dynasty. I would probably consider it the equivalent to an NBA 3-peat.

Over the last 25 years, outside of all those Detroit teams, how many great squads came away with 2 or more championships within a five year span? Three. The Devils, Avalanche and Mario's Penguins of the early 90s. That's it.In fact, you can throw out Colorado and New Jersey because they didn't even win 2 in 3 years!

I suppose what I am trying to say here is that you automatically have to put the Blackhawks and Kings in the same sentence as those great teams of yesteryear. That's how tough the accomplishment of winning two Cups is.

The Kings are not to me a dynasty- those teams showed up in the regular season AND playoffs.

These Kings remind me of the Giants and Cardinals- they stumble at times during the season, yet come playoff time they get the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, in January, this team could barely score. And we're supposed to think this is THE best team in hockey literally because they only show up when their backs are against the wall?

They're the type of team that is only built for April, May, and June. There were times when I thought this team was overrated.

Cups as an 8 seed AND 6 seed? To me, that screams WAKE US UP IN APRIL

The Kings are not to me a dynasty- those teams showed up in the regular season AND playoffs.

These Kings remind me of the Giants and Cardinals- they stumble at times during the season, yet come playoff time they get the benefit of the doubt.

I mean, in January, this team could barely score. And we're supposed to think this is THE best team in hockey literally because they only show up when their backs are against the wall?

They're the type of team that is only built for April, May, and June. There were times when I thought this team was overrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycEH6fBLiRI

Who cares how good their regular season was, the playoffs are what matters. I would much rather be a fan of a team that steps it up when the cup is on the line than one that racks up wins in the regular season and chokes in the first round.

Its not like the Kings 8th seed cup victory started the trend either. The Mighty Ducks and Flames made the Finals as a 6th seed and the Oilers made it them as an 8th. Made for much more exciting hockey. It is boring when the two top seeded teams are the last ones standing.

It's not Kings, Blackhawks, and everyone else, but there's a definite stratification setting in, which is very surprising for a salary-capped league playing a game of randomness.

http://grantland.com/features/how-kings-blackhawks-continue-dominate/

Hoping the Lightning can break into this kind of exclusive group within a season or two but, yeah, right now it's pretty clear who the best of the best are. It's also no surprise given the philosophies of those organizations. Chicago and Los Angeles are two of the most progressive organizations in the league and either teams around the league will adapt to those philosophies to try and keep up, or they'll be left in the dust. Like it or not, the sabermetrics movement has fully engulfed the NHL.

Technically, the Kings were a three seed, since there is no longer 1-8 seeding.

Technically a king is just an archaic concept from the antiquated monarchical system of government. In America we elect our leaders!

This is giving me some vibes of the NBA/NBC farewell in 2002, only here it's CBC/TSN:

A team from Los Angeles survived a grueling seven-game West Finals with a road win. Afterwards, everyone said it was the real championship series.

They have gone up 3-0 on a NY-area team that many discounted their chance (Though none of these games were like the Nets' game 1 shellacking).

A new era is looming for the sport next year TV wsie (Rogers for hockey, ESPN/ABC for basketball).