Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An agonizing way for the Rangers to go out, but hopefully more people in SoCal start following the team regularly so we can get some new jokes, not the same rehashed "Hurr durr, LA doesn't know they have a team" shtick we've had to endure.

Also, well done Rockstar Matt. Humble pie wouldn't hurt a whole bunch of people in LA and Chicago right now.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Well again it was indicative of a season of Sharks having horrible mental lapses at the most inopportune times. One could even look at how they played against Buffalo this season...

Just imagine how Sharks fans feel.

This image will be forever ingrained into my brain:

850826265.gif?w=1000

Speaking about the article earlier: As a Sharks fan, I still want Jumbo to a part of the Sharks team. I would also say most Sharks fans probably still want him as part of the team. However the team needs to not worry about reputation so much. I could see that after game 6 that the Sharks (sans Stalock - the dude is always on) just let their reputation right back in the arena. So ignore that moniker, or wear it as a reminder, whatever helps them focus on getting to the Stanley Cup Finals and winning it.

Yeah, sounds awesome. Sounded great in 2006, too!

Exactly.

You could tell the Sharks were going to lose that series as early as game 1 when they stopped playing in the third after a 5-0 lead. If you recall, the Kings came within 2 goals in just one period. As for keeping invisible Joe, isn't insanity described as repeating the same thing over & over and expecting a different result? The guy is a pylon when it matters and from what I hear, a locker room cancer. The sooner him and Marleau are shipped out, the better for the team... And stop wearing black in the playoffs, your not the Kings! They know how to win when it matters.

The LA Kings are built for the playoffs and only the playoffs.

At times during the season, I admittedly didn't think they were gonna go all the way.

But they seem picture perfect for the spring no matter the record.

1 playoff series defeat in 3 years under Sutter and it took 2 OT.

Unless the Miami Heat pull off a miracle, LA officially inherits the title of "Hardest team to finish off when it counts."

At times during the season, I admittedly didn't think they were gonna go all the way.

Unless the Miami Heat pull off a miracle, LA officially inherits the title of "Hardest team to finish off when it counts."

I'll gladly take being "built for only the playoffs" over the playoff meltdowns I have to sit through with the Chargers and Clippers. The regular season doesn't mean jack beyond playoff seeding in just about every sport except maybe football.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I was watching the game with a bunch of Ranger fans and actually felt bad for them when the Kings won. Maybe I'm not as big of an a-hole as I thought I was.

Hockey Night in Canada's send off. Amazing as always.

This is hockey, folks.

Meanwhile the playoff opening montage is nowhere to be found on the internet because they made the mistake of using a Metallica song and Lars is still a sniveling, greedy, egomaniacal, pain in the ass.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Martinez. What the :censored: . Seems like he just woke up like a lion or something. More clutch than Williams.

No he's not. Obviously, you don't watch this team a lot or at all. #1 Williams won the Conn Smythe because he was the most clutch player in the playoffs. Alec Martinez just did what Alec Martinez does, put the puck on the net. Martinez has been doing that for three years.

Martinez. What the :censored: . Seems like he just woke up like a lion or something. More clutch than Williams.

No he's not. Obviously, you don't watch this team a lot or at all. #1 Williams won the Conn Smythe because he was the most clutch player in the playoffs. Alec Martinez just did what Alec Martinez does, put the puck on the net. Martinez has been doing that for three years.

A Whole 19 times before these playoffs! #AmericanHero

I'll gladly take being "built for only the playoffs" over the playoff meltdowns I have to sit through with the Chargers and Clippers. The regular season doesn't mean jack beyond playoff seeding in just about every sport except maybe football.

So would I. I don't care if my teams garnered the last seed as long as they make the most of the playoffs that they get. You can go 82-0 and wet the bed in the playoffs. How many times have we seen players on teams that put up gaudy regular season numbers only to vanish in the playoffs and get their respective teams bounced in the first or second round? If the Kings are purely built for the playoffs, then the GM/Coach is doing exactly what he is supposed to do which is ultimately win when it matters, in this case the playoffs.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I will never understand how people who devote six months of every year to watching their team and other teams can be so cavalier about the whole thing not mattering. Upsets are fun, of course, but I would like for the 1,230 games the NHL plays each season to tell me something other than that the Oilers suck.

I suspect that if games were officiated the same way in spring that they are in autumn and winter, it might be more difficult to be "built for the playoffs." However, the prevailing wisdom, such as it is, among NHL refs is that they don't want to "decide the game" by making calls, even though the absence of calls decides a game just as much as the presence. Alas.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's what the NHL regular season has taught me- it hasn't showed that anyone not named Chicago can beat the Sutter Kings in a big game. Different game, where the Anaheims/Colorados of the world can freewheel for a bit. They got my hopes up and I admittedly didn't believe LA could do it again, I thought their offense was too punchless and they were making a mistake by investing in Gaborik.

The Kings at times I felt during January were biding their time until the playoffs. "Yeah, they aren't scoring goals now, they're getting shutout. but I feel like they're gonna go off in the playoffs. They're built for the 2-month spring, not this 6-month marathon."

Until I see either/both shaking hands in defeat, it's an LA/Chicago league and everyone else is playing for 3rd next year.

Here's what the NHL regular season has taught me- it hasn't showed that anyone not named Chicago can beat the Sutter Kings in a big game. Different game, where the Anaheims/Colorados of the world can freewheel for a bit. They got my hopes up and I admittedly didn't believe LA could do it again, I thought their offense was too punchless and they were making a mistake by investing in Gaborik.

The Kings at times I felt during January were biding their time until the playoffs. "Yeah, they aren't scoring goals now, they're getting shutout. but I feel like they're gonna go off in the playoffs. They're built for the 2-month spring, not this 6-month marathon."

Until I see either/both shaking hands in defeat, it's an LA/Chicago league and everyone else is playing for 3rd next year.

They may have been bumped in the 2nd round this year, but I see no reason for Boston not to be grouped in with LA/Chicago, especially if Iginla sticks around. They were only a couple of goals away from making the Conference Final where I'm sure they would've beaten the Rangers and possibly given us an extra game or two in the Cup Final. They have a Norris-caliber defenseman, a goalie who belongs on the league's Mount Rushmore (along with Lundqvist, Price, and Quick), they're well coached, and have a group of guys who know how to get it done when it matters. I expect Montreal and TB to take steps back next season, Ottawa, Toronto, and Detroit are big question marks, and Buffalo and Florida will be duking it out for Connor McDavid. The Bruins are far and away the toast of the Atlantic. I'm not writing them off yet.

I seriously thought Boston would annihilate Montreal and win the entire thing. Was Montreal for real (their performance in the Conference Finals was questionable, Carey Price or not) or is Boston's window closing? I definitely would not put them in the same class as Chicago or L.A. regardless.

Archived