Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how painful was it the first time some Red Wings fan threw you on the ice?

This post is going to get deleted!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just when you thought the Sharks weren't going to out-Shark themselves, they did just that.

How do you blow a 3-0 series lead?!? It's unfathomable to see a team just blow that big of a lead in a best-of-7 (Despite the fact that it's happened just 4 years ago).

I kinda hope San Jose does some real soul searching here.

I'm not really sure what they can do, short of firing Doug Wilson, who perennially builds inherently doomed teams: Thornton has more beard than heart, Marleau has more beard than heart and is clean-shaven, and they still have too much filler on their rosters. They could have torn it down last summer or this summer, but instead chose to keep swinging at the piñata. The organization feels that rebuilding is beneath them, they've made long-term commitments to this core, and so I suppose it'll just keep being like this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The money they're paying Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau is going to make them very tough to move. But both are still elite level players that they'll be looked at. That's the Sharks route I think find someone to trade with to move Joe and Patty. They still have a solid core to build around with Burns, Couture, Hertl and Pavelski. Justin Braun is coming along on the backend, and Alex Stalock I know is loved by the Sharks organization, so he'll definitely be retained.

Their prospect pool is pretty bare, Freddie Hamilton is the only guy I can name off the top of my head. Mirco Muller looks to be a decent guy as well.

Move Thornton + Marleau for something that can help your future. They're still a playoff team I think without those two, but the Western Conference is a hideous bitch goddess. So who the hell knows anymore.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

When it comes to the sharks, it just seems they should be better than what they are. They have fielded some pretty decent teams and some that just as well could have won the cup. But it just seem they can't get out of the way of their own shadow at times. IDK, they should have at least one SCF appearance at the very least. Sharks fans know this team better than I do, what is it that continues to hold this team back from being a perennial cup winners/contenders?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I did a lengthy Tweet series the other night after they lost Game 6. I may have even posted a brief version of that here the day after that game. I dunno; it's a few pages buried by now.

In any case, advanced metrics always say that the Sharks are one of the elite teams in the league. As someone who made a concerted effort this season to watch plenty of games involving the California teams I could see why the metrics indicate what they indicate, because what I saw was a really good hockey team that, somewhat surprisingly, could get goals throughout the lineup. Their puck possession and ability to generate shots is among the best in the league, and as long as Antti Niemi isn't :censored:ting bricks in net, they're going to win their fair share of games (kinda like Corey Crawford in Chicago).

With that in mind, my problems with a team like San Jose never come with the advanced metrics as much as just the very basic (but easily forgotten) concept that there is more than one thing to consider when analyzing a team, analyzing a series, etc.. San Jose has been this fragile hockey team for several years now and it shows up in the playoffs. Why do I ride the Kings and 'Hawks jock so much around here? Because those teams check out with regard to both being very good, and having fantastic mental fortitude. I picked LA-Chicago in the WCF last year, and I picked them again this year. In my opinion, San Jose is a better hockey team than LA, but I would never pick San Jose over LA in a best-of-7 series. San Jose has lost any logical reason to be tabbed as the favorites when they play any semi-comparable team.

The Thornton/Marleau Sharks, in other words, have officially morphed into Cincinnati Bengals mode when making playoff predictions.

spacer.png

Basically, the Kings/Blackhawks/Bruins are the only teams that can win when it matters in the 2010s.

This could be the 2010s Colorado/New Jersey/Detroit where they basically trade off Cups.

If the Final Four is the exact same as last year I will flip a table.

Anaheim will crash.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Perhaps North American scumbag Matt Cooke can try to lull the Hawks to sleep (i.e. knock them out cold) with a panic switch.

Given that the Wild got the last 3 of their 4 wins without Cooke, if they're at least holding their own through the first 3 games against Chicago I'd be surprised to see him back in the lineup right away.

Really, nothing good for Cooke could have come of what he did. If the Wild had lost the series, he probably would have gotten much of the blame for it. As it is, he's shown that the Wild don't really even need him around.

CCSLC signature.png

Perhaps North American scumbag Matt Cooke can try to lull the Hawks to sleep (i.e. knock them out cold) with a panic switch.

Given that the Wild got the last 3 of their 4 wins without Cooke, if they're at least holding their own through the first 3 games against Chicago I'd be surprised to see him back in the lineup right away.

Really, nothing good for Cooke could have come of what he did. If the Wild had lost the series, he probably would have gotten much of the blame for it. As it is, he's shown that the Wild don't really even need him around.

Fine by me. I'd rather have never signed the turd in the first place.

Ultimately, I am really happy with how they played. I don't know if I am realistically hoping for a series win, but I expect more fight vs. CHI than last year.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For any Game of Thrones fans, I think this fits nicely:

(Spoilered for language)

COCMybH.jpg

House Duck: Humble Are Our Brags

House King: Tweeting Strong

House Ranger: Failure Is Coming

House Penguin: Ours is the Fleury (Unfortunately)

House Blackhawk: Some Do Despise Us

House Wild: Mild Is Your Interest

House Bruin: Go :censored: Yourselves

House Canadien: No, :censored: You, Buddy

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived