Minor League Hockey Moves 2014-15

Burkell007

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Vegas pipe dream just went bust....

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2014/05/07/waranglers-plaza-deal-is-off/

After scrambling to find a new venue for their home games after losing their lease at the Orleans, the Las Vegas Wranglers has informed the Plaza that construction will be too costly to locate the team at the downtown rooftop venue.

The deal is off.

baltimoreravens.png

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=82382

The Port Huron Fighting Falcons (NAHL) are moving to Connellsville, PA, for the 2014-15 season. They will be renamed "Keystone Ice Miners".

That's five hockey teams in Port Huron to either fold or relocate in 13 years. Attendance for the Falcons was almost non-existent (577 per game in a 3100-seat arena), so I'm not surprised they left. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if another team arrived in town before the summer's up.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Welp, looks like a CHL expansion market just opened up!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Welp, looks like a CHL expansion market just opened up!

I'll take it. Port Huron would be on an island with Brampton in the CHL, but I'd rather have that than, say, a Federal Hockey League team. <_<

Rumor has it that the city is talking to the USHL about an expansion franchise, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I see the LV Wranglers folding. Abbotsford would be a great fit in the ECHL, ASAP. Would still love to see Peoria get into the ECHL. With Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, Ft. Wayne, and Orlando - the old IHL teams are starting to come back around. Even Houston would be a cool addition.

About time, too.

Now let's hope the team's the "Adirondack Flames" so that they can recycle the old flaming-A logo.

:woot:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Keystone Ice Miners logo is out.

Before:

ffgf29s2b66346fmgh4lbhc7c.gif

After:topstory-225.png

:(

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Well, shoot, the ECHL's gonna have to do something out west, aren't they? They're down to a 7-team division with 8 available playoff slots. Maybe #9 from the east gets kicked west for the postseason.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well ECHL Fans... say goodbye to Evansville, Indianapolis, Ft Wayne, and Kalamazoo. Western Conference? These four teams will go bankrupt before the season is over. Way to go ECHL! If anything should have just disbanded from the Western Conference and let them form their own 8-team "AA" League.

I assume the scheduling will be more along the lines of the AHL's "divisions/conferences are suggestions rather than guidelines". I don't expect the Midwest 4 to hike further west than Colorado unless they really want to.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

True, but just plain dumb. If they aren't going to play against Western teams then why be in their conference? I still say the hockey minor league system needs re-done. The Western ECHL teams need to move up to "AAA" and support the Western NHL teams.

NHL teams need to have their affiliates within driving distance. Never understood why they don't follow baseball's example. The Blue Jackets' AAA team should be Lake Erie. AA should be Cincinnati.

Never understood why they don't follow baseball's example.

Because baseball's example is kind of...erratic. El Paso is within driving distance of San Diego only under a very liberal interpretation of the term. Same for Salt Lake City and Los Angeles, Reno and Phoenix, Milwaukee and Nashville, Chicago and Charlotte, etc....and of course, Las Vegas and New York.

Also, AAA baseball regularly blows money on planes. Not sure if most AHL budgets can accommodate that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hockey teams, even in the AHL, tend to end up where they can make money.*

*Like Daylight Savings Time, this does not apply in the state of Arizona.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived