New NHL logo

bbb

The only problems I see here, conceptually speaking, are that there is a high number of Canadian teams in the NHL and a higher number of foreign players. I think this is why they've never gone red, white, and blue. Maybe something with a star and maple leaf would work.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

The only problems I see here, conceptually speaking, are that there is a high number of Canadian teams in the NHL and a higher number of foreign players. I think this is why they've never gone red, white, and blue. Maybe something with a star and maple leaf would work.

Unlike the other big 4, the NHL has roughly 1/3 of its teams located outside of the United States and non-Americans make up a large percentage of its players.

Just something to consider...

thanks l didn't take care of this

here's the new NFL/nba logo (very quick to do)

newnfl-nbalogo_zps2af55514.png

l used the nflpa logo

new nhl/nba logo

nbalogo_zpse5ebf669.png

The NHL is really a two-country league, moreso than other major sports in North America. MLB and the NBA have a few teams north of the border, but hockey is really a Canadian past time. That being said, I think you have a decent start.

Here's my mock up of your logo, which is designed to balance US-CAN evenly. You can't show preference to one country or the other, really.

d7gEhPV.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The "Nation" in the National Hockey League originally referred to Canada, as it was founded with all Canadian teams. I would be one of many outraged Canadians if the NHL adopted American stars and stripes. Even the combination with the maple leaf just doesn't sit right with me. The NHL has used a similar shield logo (originally orange and black, with the NHL slanting from top left to bottom right) for almost its entire history.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking a few days ago about how the NHL was the only one of the big 4 leagues not to include any indication in its logo of the sport involved- no player, no ball (puck), etc.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

new nhl/nba logo

nbalogo_zpse5ebf669.png

AND JINGO WAS HIS NAME-O!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

lol, a smack in the face to Canadian's everywhere. I don't understand the reasoning behind you remaking a logo. Its been the same forever, switched from orange to silver and mirrored the diagonal script. No need for a change to match the MLB/NBA/AHL/NLL/INDY - and I guess NFL to an extent - look; especially when the NHLPA already does the Blue/Red split.

I wouldn't touch the classiest League Logo in the world.....in my opinion of course.

Guest darkpiranha

My suggestion would be to come up with nation-specific versions of the logo. Do a Canadian one similar to the American one. Or do one for all nations that have significant player representation in the NHL.

Archived