What player has worn the most different unis in their career? (Read post for qualifications)

gongofdoom

Hearing all the boring hype about Jeter's retirement made me think of this. He's only worn 3 or 4 different uniforms with the Yankees while Rickey Henderson has worn, well, lets just say Rickey;s worn a lot, seeing as he played for 9 different teams.

For the purposes of this thread I would like to the confine it to MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and NCAA football and basketball. Yes yes I know the NHL and MLB have minor leagues and most players spend a few years or at least months there before moving up so they will wear at least a couple of unis there, but hey I started the thread, so my rules.

But I hear you screaming, what constitutes a different uniform?

A semi-reasonable question.

For the purposes of the thread, and again, I started it, so please stick with these 'rules' you don't like it, go start another thread.

For all six categories the unis must have been worn in an actual regular season game or in the playoffs. that means the Saint Patricks day unis worn in spring training don't count, nor do unis worn by NFL/NBA teams in the pre-season.

For NCAA basketball, home and away unis alternate unis special throwback or tournament anniversary unis, all are considered separate and each counts as one.

Same thing goes for NBA home and away, third/alternate/sleeved/all-star game jerseys all considered separate and each counts as one.

NHL. 'Radical' font changes to numbers will be considered a new uniqie uni otherwise home/away/third.throwback/alt/all star see NBA rule.

NFL. "Font' changes like the Steelers moving from block to rounded numbers have inspired much spazzing and frothing at the mouth both here and elsewhere (seriously, you'd think Art Rooney had taken a chainsaw to Santa Claus in a room full of 7 year olds) and thus are considered a separate uni. The whole sleeves disappearing and thus making stripes on sleeves migrate to the shoulder area, that's a league wide thing and for the purposes of this thread DOES NOT constitute a different separate uni. Don't agree? Start you own thread. Home and away and third /throwback/anniversary all considered separate. As it currently stands the Buccaneers new unis don't count because they haven't been worn in a regular season game yet. With the NFL's rule not allowing more than one helmet to be worn, the Packers wearing their throwbacks with the yellow helmets counts as a separate uni. Changing the color of a facemask does constitute a separate uni.

NCAA football. You have a team like Oregon that brings out a new uniform every goddamn week or maybe they wear the same jersey and pants but wear a helmet from three years ago. Then you have Alabama who essentially have worn the same uniform for the past 40+ years. Yes, yes, yes I know there was the whole houndstooth trim thing a few years ago and given the spazzing that went on over that fine, it's a separate unique uni. To try and make this as simple as possible if it's a combination of helmet, jersey and pants that hasn't been worn before, it' s a unique uni. Changing the color of a facemask does constitute a unique uni, even if everything else stays the same.

MLB. Home/away/alt/throwback/anniversary. Batting practice jerseys worn during regular season/playoff games count because why the hell wouldn't they. Like the NCAA football if it's a combination of hat/shirt/pants/batting helmet that hasn't bee worn before it's a unique uni.

Patches. *Sighs and shakes head* I know gridiron uniform database considers every patch worn to be a different uniform as this Ravens link shows, but screw that. http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/teams/2012_Baltimore.html For the purposes of this thread patches and the wearing of same on unis DOES NOT constitute a different unique uniform.

Same thing goes for shoes/cleats. Changing from white to black does not constitute a new unique uniform at least not in this thread

Is that all reasonably illegible? FANTASTIC.

Now, I'm sure if we all work together we can ensure that this thread will drop like a stone off the front page in let's give it two hours never to be seen or replied to again.

It has to be Gary Anderson in the NFL. Maybe it's Morten Andersen, but it seemed like every year for a decade, I would see Gary Anderson kicking for yet another team and think "Damn, he's STILL around?"

Sean Landeta might be a candidate too. Either way, I'm sure it's a kicker or punter.

Mike Sillinger.

NHL:Red Wings, Mighty Ducks, Canucks, Flyers, Lightning, Panthers, Senators, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Blues, Predators, Islanders.

AHL: Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Adirondack Red Wings

Austrian League: EC Wien

Now is the director of Player Development for Edmonton.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Mike Sillinger.

NHL:Red Wings, Mighty Ducks, Canucks, Flyers, Lightning, Panthers, Senators, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Blues, Predators, Islanders.

AHL: Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Adirondack Red Wings

Austrian League: EC Wien

Now is the director of Player Development for Edmonton.

Jesus ! wonder if he kept some jerseys from each team, i assume most players do that ?

Shouldnt it be a rule that if you start a thread like this, you have to at least post one example, if for nothing else, to have everyone else follow...

Hasn't Octavio Dotel played with about half of MLB at this point?

EDIT: yes, well almost, 13 different clubs now in 15 years. The most in MLB history. I dont even want to think about how many different uni's that is in that time.

9085763.jpg?678

For baseball. Stairs, Morgan, or Dotel might be it, but it is less likely to be Morgan, just because he played the majority of his career before every team wore a bunch of alts, and he did play for a couple of teams that we alt-less.

Morgan (12 teams, 17 uniform numbers according to BB Reference) played for the Yankees & Dodgers, who didn't have alts at the time, but he had 2 stints with the Cubs, who probably changed their roads in the meantime.

Dotel (13 teams, 15 uniform numbers) played for a lot of teams for 1 year each, but he was in Houston for the rebrand that included 5 uniform sets. He played with lots of teams that had at least one alt.

Stairs (12 teams, 19 uniform numbers) played for a shorter time, and he was a mixed bag of alt-clad teams and traditionalists. He played in Montreal, Detroit, and Philly, but he also played in KC and Milwaukee.

Someone would have to sit down with Henderson's guide and do the legwork here for an exact answer on this one.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived