2014 NBA Playoffs

GraysonColtsBoy

Give the title to the Spurs already! There's no way the Heat can come back! End the NBA season already! If the Spurs need to win back-to-back titles next year, they have to dominate like they had this year!

why? they still got to close out the series. Sure I don't see the Spurs losing 3 strait but it's not impossible to think Miami can't come back and win this thing. We already saw in the hockey playoffs how having a 3-1 series lead wasn't a guaranteed series win.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give the title to the Spurs already! There's no way the Heat can come back! End the NBA season already! If the Spurs need to win back-to-back titles next year, they have to dominate like they had this year!

why? they still got to close out the series. Sure I don't see the Spurs losing 3 strait but it's not impossible to think Miami can't come back and win this thing. We already saw in the hockey playoffs how having a 3-1 series lead wasn't a guaranteed series win.

The NBA is a little different.

That's true, but you still can't count out a team that has Lebron and Wade in a league with as questionable of officiating as the NBA. I think the Heat are pretty clearly outmatched... But in the NBA, you never know.

IUe6Hvh.png

Is it possible to feel bad for a two time champ, and multi millionaire? I ask because I really do feel bad for LeBron. Outside of game one he is getting no help from his squad. This is almost like his old Cleveland team in the Finals against the Spurs and it has no rite to be. The Spurs are great but Miami is making it easier for SA.

No.

LeBron chose to go to Miami. Sure, he was buddy-buddy with Wade and Bosh and they planned to team up a couple years in advance, but he should have known the pitfalls of aging players, the restrictions the salary cap puts on the roster, etc.

Plus, the Heat are playing in the fourth consecutive Finals. The other 14 East teams would kill to have just gotten to one Finals.

And LeBron's a douche. And his jock-sniffers are bigger douches.

I still find it flabbergasting how a couple of months ago, there were people on this forum decreeing Puig and Manziel as bigger douches than LeBron, even though:

1. Puig and Manziel are just beginning their professional careers and not letting the whole "everybody in their early 20s will do stupid things and it's understandable" narrative take hold.

2. LeBron created the whole "player-pacted super-team" concept in the NBA, where the players themselves conspire to team-up to form mega-teams full of 3-4 All-Star Game starters, leaving other teams to hope to lure high-caliber players using uncontrollable elements (climate, market, nightlife, big city bias, players and their friends related to the team). Not even a bigger contract can be guaranteed to lure a free-agent to an undesirable market, whether because of no All-Stars or because it's not "glitzy" enough, and LeBron started this mess.

3. LeBron is a media whore who commands all attention to himself, including through countless articles about his everyday life, his addressing of all media in the 1st-person tense ("...I am capable...I did this...I carried my team...People will remember my name...I am a legend...They're gonna have to stop me..."), and an app for his legion of so-called diehards, who probably can't name more than Miami's Big-3.

I don't understand why people are so against players wanting to be on the same team as their friends. It comes off as serious sour grapes.

It's because this is a precedent never done in the history of the NBA. Yes, there have been mega-teams in the past, but those were mostly constructed through team management. Scottie Pippen was sent to Chicago after they and the Sonics negotiated a trade on Pippen's draft day; he didn't go to Chicago because he was all-buddy buddy with Michael Jordan and made a pact to play together with him. Kobe Bryant was sent to LA because of a trade the Lakers and Hornets made with each other before his drafting; Kobe never explicitly said that he'll only join the Lakers because he wants to team-up with Shaq. James Worthy was sent to LA because Ted Stephien is an idiot; Worthy never conspired to only want to play in a team with Magic Johnson.

But alas, LeBron becomes the person who would allow players to openly circumvent decisions made by team offices in the best interest of their franchises to go play with their friends. Instead of sucking up and learning to deal with the hand they're given, today's All-Star players would rather combine to form 1-2 mega-teams, filled with elite, world-class players on the roster, while the other majority of teams scrap together and make best with lesser talents. This is why people despise the tandem of LeBron-Wade-Bosh-Allen, and potentially Carmelo, all in the same team. You never heard Jordan in his prime saying that he'll only play alongside Magic, Kareem and Worthy on one mega-team, with Bird, Ewing, Pippen, Olajuwon and Malone joining suit. It's why so many people wish the Spurs can wrap up the NBA championship and shut Miami up.

I don't understand why people are so against players wanting to be on the same team as their friends.

People want to see the best play the best. I don't understand the "BRON-BRON JUST WANTS HIS FWENNNNNSSS" tack. All these guys are friends!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It is literally no different than you taking a job at the local amusement park because you buddy also works there.

People become so hypocritical when it comes to sports. Why would you not expect someone to take the most money they can get? Why would you not expect someone to pick a workplace based on the city it's located in? Why would you not expect someone to want to work with people they like? Why would you not expect someone to try and make it as easy as possible to succeed?

jNTsTyQ.png

It is literally no different than you taking a job at the local amusement park because you buddy also works there.

People don't pay to watch you do your job at the local amusement park. People do, however, pay a lot of money to watch the best basketball players in the world compete. And they'd prefer to see the best play the best. Not see the best team up to beat a bunch of scrubs.

People become so hypocritical when it comes to sports. Why would you not expect someone to take the most money they can get? Why would you not expect someone to pick a workplace based on the city it's located in? Why would you not expect someone to want to work with people they like? Why would you not expect someone to try and make it as easy as possible to succeed?

Ok. This is a truth-fact. You cannot compare your job to the job of a professional athlete. It's a false equivalency.

While yes, there is a lot more that goes into professional sports than say an amusement park, at the end of the day, sports are a business and athletes are employees. Comparing my job to the job of a professional athlete, i agree, is not fair. But comparing the thought process of deciding where they work is not. It's the same thought process, just at a bigger scale.

To expect athletes to have more loyalty and integrity than your average employee is just silly.

jNTsTyQ.png

I'm not saying I expect any sort of "loyalty" these days. I'm just saying that people have very valid reasons for being peeved off about James, Wade, and Bosh decided to team up. People want to see the best play the best. Not see the best dominate everyone else in year in and year out. That's why they take issue with the idea of the "big three." And it's why you can't play the "pro athletes are on par with me and my job" card.

While yes, there is a lot more that goes into professional sports than say an amusement park, at the end of the day, sports are a business and athletes are employees. Comparing my job to the job of a professional athlete, i agree, is not fair. But comparing the thought process of deciding where they work is not. It's the same thought process, just at a bigger scale.

To expect athletes to have more loyalty and integrity than your average employee is just silly.

Wanting to team up with your buddies two years before your contracts expire isn't the least bit screwy to you?

Wanting to team up with the best players kind of goes against what competition and athletics are all about.

I've just come to expect that I will be told to love LeBron at all times. A few days ago, Deadspin ran a piece congratulating LeBron on cashing out of Beats headphones. Who -- other than noted Deadspin nemesis Darren Rovell, ironically enough -- even cares how much money LeBron made on headphone stock?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

People who have nothing better to do with their lives...other than to possibly vicariously live out whatever pipe dreams/wide-eyed fantasies they have of themselves through the lives of celebrities...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Is it possible to feel bad for a two time champ, and multi millionaire? I ask because I really do feel bad for LeBron. Outside of game one he is getting no help from his squad. This is almost like his old Cleveland team in the Finals against the Spurs and it has no rite to be. The Spurs are great but Miami is making it easier for SA.

No.

LeBron chose to go to Miami. Sure, he was buddy-buddy with Wade and Bosh and they planned to team up a couple years in advance, but he should have known the pitfalls of aging players, the restrictions the salary cap puts on the roster, etc.

Plus, the Heat are playing in the fourth consecutive Finals. The other 14 East teams would kill to have just gotten to one Finals.

And LeBron's a douche. And his jock-sniffers are bigger douches.

I still find it flabbergasting how a couple of months ago, there were people on this forum decreeing Puig and Manziel as bigger douches than LeBron, even though:

1. Puig and Manziel are just beginning their professional careers and not letting the whole "everybody in their early 20s will do stupid things and it's understandable" narrative take hold.

2. LeBron created the whole "player-pacted super-team" concept in the NBA, where the players themselves conspire to team-up to form mega-teams full of 3-4 All-Star Game starters, leaving other teams to hope to lure high-caliber players using uncontrollable elements (climate, market, nightlife, big city bias, players and their friends related to the team). Not even a bigger contract can be guaranteed to lure a free-agent to an undesirable market, whether because of no All-Stars or because it's not "glitzy" enough, and LeBron started this mess.

3. LeBron is a media whore who commands all attention to himself, including through countless articles about his everyday life, his addressing of all media in the 1st-person tense ("...I am capable...I did this...I carried my team...People will remember my name...I am a legend...They're gonna have to stop me..."), and an app for his legion of so-called diehards, who probably can't name more than Miami's Big-3.

I don't see how point 2 makes ANY player a "douche" considering every all-time great team ever has consisted of multiple all-stars. I still struggle to understand what was so deplorable about player's choosing to do for themselves (building a good team) what the team's front office (specifically Cleveland and Toronto) had been failing to do for years.

I wouldn't have a problem with Kevin Love and Melo going to Boston with Rondo either. It's not their fault the Knicks and Wolves are inept.

As for 3, How is LeBron any more of a "media whore" than any other player that's been the face of the NBA? Were Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant or Magic Johnson low key, "avoid the spotlight" type guys?

I mean, if your stance is simply that is sorta sucks to see the best players all band together and leave already bad teams in even worse shape? That's reasonable. Where it becomes the unerasonable ramblings of a guy who probably lives in his mom's basement and calls in religiously to his local sports-talk radio show is when you actually think that choosing to change jobs when your last job kinda sucked makes a guy a "terrible human being." Get a life, people.

Archived