Atlanta in MLS

bleuet

According to SI, team will be Atlanta United FC

It will be introduced officially on July 7, along with a logo that’s thought to feature a prominent ‘A’ and the club’s red, yellow/gold and black colors.

Ugh...

There needs to be a maximum quota for each of the common British style team names. There doesn't need to be more than 2 Uniteds (same goes for "City" and "FC") in MLS and since Minnesota and DC already have that name Atlanta should go back to the drawing board.

They can call themselves Atlanta Athletic instead if they want to go the Euro route.

Love the old names like San Jose Earthquakes and LA Galaxy more and more with each new Euro poser addition the league makes.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and Minnesota was only just announced in late March.

Except that the name's been used by the team that's currently in NASL since 2013.

(I love the team, but still hate the name. Less "United", more #DETHLOON.)

As far as I know, MNU is still not planning to change name or logo upon entry to MLS.

---

As for Atlanta, the right answer was Silverbacks. But this is the US, where soccer ownership entities can't work together at all, so we end up with new names every few years while at the same time complaining about a lack of history.

Not to mention that this marks the second time in less than a month that a newly announced team in Metro Atlanta has seen fit to mimic the identity of its Minnesota counterpart and/or predecessor.

CCSLC signature.png

Good to see that the ownership is listening to the fan base here.

I just wish the name was more original then this. Oh well, the fan nickname should make up for it... come on, Phoenix!

Adelaide United would probably disagree.

TIL what Adelaide United is. Also, that there's a soccer analogue to the OKC Thunder in Australia:

440px-Adelaide_United_FC_logo.svg.png

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Atlanta Athletic or an Atlanta (bird name here) would have been excellent.

Atlanta Athletic Club is trademarked but it is not necessarily restricting the team from using it. It's a well known golf course which had held a US Open, PGA Chpionships and the PGA Tour Championship.

http://www.atlantaathleticclub.org/About-Us/History.aspx

However, while Arthur Blank has money, the members of Atlanta Athletic Club have much more to fight any legal battle.

The name is fine except for the fact that they have the same colors as another United team in DC.

Based on images I've seen on Twitter and the team's placeholder scarf, red and gold look to feature more prominently than DC United.

spacer.png

Good to see that the ownership is listening to the fan base here.

I just wish the name was more original then this. Oh well, the fan nickname should make up for it... come on, Phoenix!

The story I heard this morning was that the supporter groups couldn't agree on a name so the Atlanta ownership sent out lists to all the people who signed up for season tickets asking what they wanted to be included in the name. United, ATL and FC were all in 70% of returns.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Indeed.

They listened to the fans, but the fans didn't exactly know what they were saying. :P

If I had been in charge I would have had to say, "Screw this noise! This is what we're going with"!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've been a defender of "Euro style" names, and I still think most are perfectly fine (Real Salt Lake can go jump off a cliff). That being said? This one's just ridiculous. It comes off as the team doubling down on a trend, rather then trying to establish a traditional, long-lasting soccer brand.

Archived