What's Your Uniform Demographic: Traditional vs. Modern

rmackman

Music Preferences: Classic Rock, Blues, Bluegrass, old school Rap (Public Enemy, Ice-T, etc.) some Country.

Music Dislikes: Today's "pop" music. It's all auto-tuned, can't be played live, everything sounds alike, garbage for the most part.

Clothing Preferences: Jeans, sneakers, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and of course, team jerseys/t-shirts/sweatshirts/hoodies. Baseball caps.

Sports Uniform Preferences: It would be easy to just say "traditional" and move on, but that doesn't come close to describing my taste in uniforms. I like clean designs that don't try too hard.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Font for font's sake, weird stripes and piping, gradients.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music Preferences: Classic Rock, Alternative, classical music, cinematic soundtracks, some techo.

Music Dislikes: Rap, country, other kinds of techno, "pop" music.

Clothing Preferences: Anything from khakis, collared shirts or sweaters, to jeans, t-shirts, and hoodies.

Sports Uniform Preferences: It's more about looking good, really. I like quite a few modern designs. At the end of the day though? I'd say my tastes skew towards the traditional.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Nike's obsession with grey and neon, chrome/matte football helmets, monochrome, designs that relay way to much on panels or piping, number fonts that are custom for the sake of being custom, throwbacks that don't belong to the history of the team in question, trendy designs that either reflect the trend or the manufacturer above representing the team, and elements that are so subtle you can't spot them from the stands. I just don't see the point.

Music Preferences: I like a wide variety. Rap (mostly old-school), classic rock, alternative to electronic music to metal.

Music Dislikes: Boy Bands, like One Direction and most Pop music, and music with bad or lyrics that don't make sense.

Clothing Preferences: Sweatpants, hoodies, T-shirts, casual clothing.

Sports Uniform Preferences: I guess I'm mixed. With baseball, I like the traditional and wild uniforms. I like the Miami Marlins uniforms, and I like the traditional clean ones like the Atlanta Braves. I like the traditional ones in other sports like Basketball and Hockey. But I like those weird 90's uniforms like the Hawks one.

Dislikes: Ones that are too flashy, like those Christmas sweater hockey uniforms.

Age 30
Music Preferences: 80's Hardcore Punk (Bad Brains, Black Flag, Misfits, Germs, Cro-Mags, Judge), Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors, Rush, Lynyrd Skynard, etc.), Metal, Blues, Grunge, Classic Country...
Music Dislikes: 99% of rap music. Techno/Dubstep/etc. Pop-Punk.
Clothing Preferences: Hoodies, jeans, and work boots. Lots of Dickies and Carhartt. 47 branch "franchise" hats, usually faded, with very very curved brims.
Sports Uniform Preferences: I just like what looks good. Some "modern" looks are fantastic. The pre-edge Sharks jerseys were a great example of modern being good. I generally prefer cleaner designs that are more simplistic and classic. Especially in hockey and football, I want a team that would still look appropriate in the 60's or 70's.
Sports Uniform Dislikes: I mostly just hate inconsistency and superfluous design. I'd rather you just not use many stripes than use stripes that don't match. A lot of football jerseys would look nicer going the Raiders route of solid-jersey without stripes than mixing and matching every pattern like the Redskins. I felt like the Olympic hockey jerseys were all really really close to being fantastic, but were ruined by the stupid plastic-shiny designs they tried to "sneak" in. If I wouldn't be able to wear it around without looking like some kind of super hero or power ranger, I probably won't like it.

Music Preferences: All over the place, The Killers, Vampire Weekend, etc. to Kanye, Danny Brown, Pharrell. George Strait, Dwight Yoakam to Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, One Direction (yes, seriously, I legitimately enjoy their music). And i've recently found myself liking 50's-60's music as well as old school country (Willie's Roadhouse on satellite radio is pretty cool).

Music Dislikes: Pink, Kelly Clarkson, most country played on the radio. I like some EDM but not a huge fan of Zedd, Afrojack, etc. A little bit too much for me. Pit Bull (although to his credit, he was tolerable like 5-6 years ago)

Clothing Preferences: Skinny jeans, v necks, polo shirts, patterned button ups buttoned all the way up, vans, fitted clothes.

Sports Uniform Preferences: This too is all over the place. Loved Oregon's last set, their Yellow/Kelly/Yellow combo might be my all time favorite uniform in all of sports. I don't mind Oregon doing Oregon (multiple combos, matte helmets, chrome helmets, etc), but i mind all these other programs doing Great Value imrpressions of Oregon. Oregon has a vision in mind when they do these things, and for the most part it works, and comes together, and to me at least, is visually pleasing. When Tulsa does it, they're trying to look like Oregon and it doesn't work. Took a while, but the Seahawks look grew on me. Favorite NFL sets are probably the Giants and the Texans. I usually hate piping but i really like the Falcons. Basketball i'm mostly a traditionalist although i like a lot of Nike's college designs (Sweatbacks) which are still fairly simple. Baseball i think you have to be a traditionalist. Weird panels and inserts as seen in college baseball are terrible. Soccer, keep it simple. Have loved Frances kits since the switch. Germany's greens were great.

Dislikes: Mostly covered this up top, but piping (for the most part) on football uniforms. multi colored panels on baseball uniforms.

I don't like BFBS. Consider it apart of Oregon's wide color palette though. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

And here's how i dressed sometimes in HS. fwiw

71548_172994569384235_5999024_n.jpg

Music Preferences: Hip-hop & rap, indie, alternative rock, modern rock, drum and bass, old school hip-hop, some instumental

Music Dislikes: gangster rap, heavy metal

Clothing Preferences:i normally wear tshirts and jeans, cargo shorts, athletic shorts, hoodies, zip up jackets, track jackets

Sports Uniform Preferences: I really enjoy the mix of traditional and modern unis. all 4 major sports have a good balence. the classic teams have their perennial looks, and teams that are newer have a solid modern look (although some teams drop the ball (Bucs, marlins, jags)), i enjoy the mono white in football for a road team. in college sports when done right, nike usually puts out a great product (Navys PC, Cal, Ohio st alts, etc)

Sports Uniform Dislikes: adidas and their treadmark techfit, marylands current unis, russell, some nike stuff (a normal block font wouldnt suffice?), chrome helmets, designs on the facemask, GFGS, sleeved basketball jerseys, college jerseys with slogans on them ( i go to miss st, i despise us having hail state on the football jerseys, put the school name on it and it looks great), custom facemasks, gimmicky uniforms (digi camo, VT brick helmets, pink NFL gear)

2rzsaw3.jpg

Music Preferences: 90s Alt Rock, Alt Rock, some stuff you wouldn't know (like Why? and Moondoggies), Kendrick Lamar, Tupac, Childish Gambino, Schoolboy Q, don't mind some electronic alt sometimes, Hopson, Passion Pit, Strfkr

Music Dislikes: Dubstep, Metal, 80s Rock (Aerosmith), :censored:ty Rap, Classical

Clothing Preferences: Plaid shorts, jeans, sneakers, SnapBack, Sweatshirt, Sports T Shirts

Uniforms I like:

NFL- Packets, Seahawks, Chargers Powder, Saints, Eagles Kelly, Bills

MLB- IDC and IDK

NBA- Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Hornets (until 2013), Warriors, Trailblazers, Sonics, Bulls, most 90s uniforms (Suns, Magic, Sixers Black and Golds, etc)

NHL- Flyers, Blackhawks, Bruins, Penguins Blue, Maple Leafs, Wild

Musical Preferences: Classic Rock, Alt/Indie Rock, Traditional County, American Roots Music, Blues

Musical Dislikes: Techno

Sports Uniform Preferences: traditional templates and color schemes (Packers, Celtics, Dodgers), pinstripes in baseball, minimal striping in football, football uniform colors with sheen, I like some simple traditional two-colored uniforms (Colts, Jets, Nets), the color brown is fine for sports and under-utilized

Sports Uniform Dislikes: BFSB, GFSG, any uniform featuring a color not associated with a team or school, multiple alternate uniforms in college football, non-traditional number fonts, matted football uniform colors (with some exceptions), non-traditional uniforms (Jaguars, new Buccaneers uniforms), overly bland uniforms (Padres, Chargers, Dolphins), the use of piping in football uniforms

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Musical Likes: Heavy Metal (Thrash, New Wave of British Heavy Metal), Hard Rock, and Alternative

Musical Dislikes: Modern Pop Music (trash to my ears), Rap Music (except Eminem)

Clothing Preferences: T-shirt with Blue Jeans on most days and sometimes with my Rays cap on

Sports Uniform Likes: I generally like some traditional looks (New York Yankees, USC Trojans, Indianapolis Colts) and also modern styles (Arizona State, Oregon, Missouri) as well. However, I love when teams have classic looks but have a modern touch to make it cool yet still have some sort of tradition from the past. (Toronto Blue Jays, Ohio State Rivalry Uniforms, New Florida State Uniforms, Texas A&M)

Sports Uniform Dislike: Any look that is either too traditional (Lots of high school teams in general, Penn State) or too modern (Syracuse, Arizona (gradients), Tampa Bay Buccaneers) for my taste.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Music Preferences: Indie Rock (Guster, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Twenty One Pilots, etc), Indie Pop (Foster the People), Alt Rock (Coldplay, U2, REM, The Cure, etc), Psych Rock (MGMT), Folk, Classic Rock, 70's/80's Hard Rock, Jazz.

Music Dislikes: Country, most rap, most R&B

Clothing Preferences: Levi's 501s (I like button fly jeans), loud/colorful T-Shirts (preferably V-neck), Nikes or Docksiders.

Sports Uniform Preferences: Honestly, whatever is well thought out and consistent. Whether that's modern (2008 Oregon) or old school (PSU) doesn't matter.

Dislikes: Poorly thought out uniforms, usually involving large blocks of colors, or random/pointless piping (looking at you Tampa Bay Bucs!)

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Age 28

Music Preferences Metal (Heavy Metal, Thrash, Death Metal), Hardcore Punk, Prog Rock, Jazz (Bebop, Fusion)

Music Dislikes Rap, Hip-Hop, Pop Music (trash from the TV and radio), Metalcore and its derivatives

Clothing Preferences Anything ranging from a kutte, band shirt and jeans to baseball and football jerseys and everything in between

Sports Uniform Preferences Simple classic or vintage-looking designs are the best. In order to stop this from becoming an essay, I'll stick with baseball. Some of my favorite unis are from the Houston Astros, Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Phillies and LA Dodgers. For some odd reason, I like the Miami Marlins stuff though, just wish they'd ditch the black.

Sports Uniform Dislikes 90s/2000s cartoonish styles. Arizona Diamondbacks, Milwaukee Brewers, Seattle Mariners, Colorado Rockies (what's up with that Times New Roman font?)

all_teams_sig_classic_small.pngall_teams_sig4_small.png

Music Preferences: Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative, Metal, Punk, Eurodance, 90's Hip Hop, Country (only female vocalists).. nothing beats good old Canadian Alt Rock though. There are some older pop songs I can stand. Savage Garden is one lmfao. Favorite bands are Matthew Good (Band), Alexisonfire, Protest the Hero, Rise Against, blink-182, U2.

Music Dislikes: Modern Pop, Modern Rap.

Clothing Preferences: Skate Shoes, Doc Martens, Running Shoes. Snapback or Cowboy hat (yes, I'm weird). Board Shorts, normal shorts?, Jeans of the regular fit, not too tight, not too baggy. Band/Graphic T-shirt, Almost always have a Soccer Jersey on in the warm months and a Hockey Jersey in the winter.

Sports Uniform Preferences: Classic/Traditional. If the team is old and has a history, I say don't change it, don't touch it. Example: NY Rangers, Leafs, Red Wings etc.
If it's a new team, for sure, modernizing can result in some nice and clever logos/jerseys. Example: Carolina Hurricanes old jerseys with the hurricane flag striping and Minnesota Wild's Primary logo.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Anything that is too out there that takes itself seriously. The Phoenix Coyotes old Taco Bell Desert thirds were a great example because it was a third jersey and we all know they don't last, nor are a serious thing. (unless somehow the fans like it, it becomes primary like LA Kings) But when teams go all out stupid on their primary jerseys (Seahawks and Buccs to name a few) then it's just ugly. Nothing wrong with testing a new look as a Third/Fourth jersey to see how reception is (Buffalo Sabers).

If you're looking for some sort of correlation, I suggest asking about originals vs remakes in movies as well. As uniform designs, especially in football, keep getting crazier, more and more of the average fans are starting to form opinions. I've noticed that the ones who get really excited over Oregon like changes also prefer modern day remakes of Hollywood classics.

Just a thought.

If you're looking for some sort of correlation, I suggest asking about originals vs remakes in movies as well. As uniform designs, especially in football, keep getting crazier, more and more of the average fans are starting to form opinions. I've noticed that the ones who get really excited over Oregon like changes also prefer modern day remakes of Hollywood classics.

Just a thought.

Very interesting. I guess there is a split of population that recognizes there is no need to touch a good thing, and those that are just trend hoppers. The thing is that the OP might be trying to test is if the trend hopper population is mainly younger folk.

all_teams_sig_classic_small.pngall_teams_sig4_small.png

Music Preferences: Hip Hop/Rap (Not "Gangsta" Rap), Classic Rock, Pop

Music Dislikes: Heavy Metal, Reggae

Clothing Preferences: Hoodies, T-shirts, Jeans, Khaki Pants, Khaki shorts, Athletic Jackets

Sports Uniform Preferences: Prefer classy, but sometimes a more modern look is cool...

Baseball: Classic uniforms period.

Basketball: Don't know... modern I guess, I really like the way the Hawks look.

Hockey: Classic, Blackhawks and Bruins probably have the best jerseys in the league.

Football: A little bit of both classic and modern, I like the Packers, Bears, etc. But I also think the Seahawks look really cool.

College: Both as well, I realty like Georgia, Ohio State, and Oregon's uniforms.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Crazy Nike Uniforms (Excluding the Seahawks)

Baseball: None really (Except if the Padres go back to brown)

Basketball: Logos on the front of the jersey, Warriors, Spurs

Hockey: Sabres

Football: Crazy stuff like Gradient helmets.

College: Northwestern, Illinois old helmets, FSU's new Uniforms

NEWSGG copy.png

Music Preferences: Rock, Alt Rock, Folk

Music Dislikes: Dubstep, Dance Music, Country, Death Metal, Pop crap, Hip-Hop, Nickelback

Clothing Preferences: T-Shirt, Jeans, Athletic Shoes, Athletic Jacket or Hoodie, Fitted Cap.

Uniform Preferences: Classic, Tastefully Modern, Clever

Uniform Dislikes: Most Nike Football crap, Most EDGE stuff, Overly Bright

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Music Preferences: Grieg, ABC, Information Society, Last Shadow Puppets, Long Blondes, Manic Street Preachers, September, Royksopp, Rachel Stevens, Boston, Offspring, Idlewild, Wombats, Giorgio Moroder, Donna Summer, ELO, Lee Hazelwood, Crystal Gayle, Kool and the Gang, Human League, Berlin, many more

Music Dislikes: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Wayne Newton, Eminem, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Aerosmith,Jay-Z, LFMAO, Tool, Marilyn Manson, Mariah Carey, Michael Bolton, Toby Keith, Hank Williams Jr., Bon Jovi, Erasure, Elton John, Neil Sedaka, TLC, Aaron Neville, Ice-T, Rod Stewart, 2pac, Taylor Swift, Poison, Glee Cast, Suicidal Tendencies, Barbra Streisand, Don Williams, James Taylor, I could name off 2,000 more but I'll stop.

Clothing Likes: simplistic

Clothing Dislikes: anything that makes me sweat

Uniform Likes: (blue and white bias ) Nfl Colts, Bills, Dolphins, Lions, Cardinals, Falcons (until 2003)NHL: Maple Leafs, Coyotes, Sharks, Panthers, MLB: Orioles, Expos,Cubs, Blue Jays,  Brewers, Tigers (home only).

Uniform Dislikes: NFL Washington, Cleveland, Pittsburgh. NHL: Detroit , New York Islanders & Rangers, New Jersey, St. Louis, Chicago, Philadelphia. Capitals(better in 98), Sabres(so much better in 99) MLB: Washington, Boston, San Diego (camo) White Sox, Angels (bring back the navy) Astros(too dull)Giants. 

Music Preferences: not a big music guy, but l like classic rock, rap, pop and country; prefer music from the 70s-90s

Music Dislikes: dance music

Clothing Preferences: I wear a suit and tie 5 days a week and jeans/khaki shorts and a polo on the weekends

Sports Uniform Preferences: I usually prefer classic looks, but I think teams should tend to look like they did in their most successful era(s). I don't have a problem with modern uniforms at all, but I think they work better with teams that don't have a winning history (like Oregon) than they do with teams like Syracuse.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Non-cohesive and wild looks (new Jags, new Bucs, Boise St. alts)

Archived