North American Soccer Resurrections: The Golden State Gales

Soarindude

Hey guys,

This is a "rebranding" of the short lived San Francisco Golden Gate Gales. The team played one season in the NASL during the 1967 season. After searching through a couple old NASL logos, I saw this gem of a logo and thought it'd still be a great look for a NASL team. I thought the name was pretty cool too. I played with the color of the logo as well as got rid of a couple minor details (lining at bottom and soccer ball)

Introducing, the San Francisco Gales!

nywewx.png

14ce8zq.jpg

t7e446.jpg

Modernising? The crossbars on the G'scould be changed up to a more modern-looking font. Dropping the sun above the bridge would modernise it. Adding a bit of detail to the bridge would modernise it.

rATMcmK.png

Modernising? The crossbars on the G'scould be changed up to a more modern-looking font. Dropping the sun above the bridge would modernise it. Adding a bit of detail to the bridge would modernise it.

I'll work on that. All good recommendations.

Apparently moderniziation is spelled with a z. Oh how weird the English language is.

I like the jerseys a lot. they fit pretty well with the tea. You should try modernizing the logo a lil bit though.

Any ideas on how to modernize it? I wanted to change it up some but didn't want to ruin it too much.

Probably make the bridge a little bit more realistic, like add those wire things that are on the actual bridge. It also needs some words on it. I'd put "San Fran" above the logo, then "Gales" below it. I just hope that doesn't seem too much like the Warriors' logo.

Made a couple changes after reading the initial reaction from everybody.

-Decided to keep the sun after trying a couple options. I first tried getting rid of it all together, but it looked very plain and had too much empty space. I tried replacing it with the original look (a soccer ball), and that just looked horrible. Personally, I think the sun adds a little character to the look.

-I decided to completely re-do the bridge. Unfortunately, the lines are a little bit off because of the program I am using (Paint.net). I might move to Inkscape if I can get used to it. However, I defenitely think it's an improvement.

- I decided to completely re-brand the look by changing the name to the Golden State Gales, instead of San Francisco Gales. A) It sounds better. B) It establishes a connection to the Golden State Warriors. I also added 2016, as that would be the year this 'team' takes off in the new NASL.

If I get positive feed-back from this and feel my work is sufficient, I might move onto rebranding some of the other forgotten 60's-80's American soccer teams.

Here it is: The Golden State Gales!

2pop8qo.png

I like the addition of the year but would bump up the font size a little bigger. Same with the wordmark elements.

The trouble with the sun is that the logo is, overall, so symmetrical, and the sun really throws off the symmetry. But I think you'd also agree that if you centred the sun, it would look goofy. So I still say drop the sun.

rATMcmK.png

I agree with Whittier about bumping up the font a little bit, make the "2016" fit perfectly into the space that the GG leaves. And truthfully, that font is really bad, it doesn't fit in well at all, I would change it something that looks a little more like the GG.

I don't think the placement of the sun is that jarring, and a little asymmetry actually balances out the open space the end of the GG, although I'd ditch the white outline on the sun. The font does need to be changed, however. The Windows standard font looks really out of place with the retro logo. I'd use something more along the lines of a November Sky or Market Deco to go along with the retro vibe. If you can, you should arch the "Golden Gate" and "Gales" along with the contour of the logo. Overall this could make it a very solid badge.

And if you plan to try using inkscape, this would be the perfect logo to learn with, due to its overall simplicity and geometric style. Check out some Inkscape tutorials to get some tips for things like arching text and making everything you'd need!

TDZiMMB.png

I think the logo could still use some work. The fonts aren't doing it for me; I would definitely try one of the fonts JimmyN64 suggested.

As for modernizing it a bit--if that is your intention--maybe try an angled view of the bridge instead of profile view. Like this:

320px-GoldenGateBridge1.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

There was a concept for NYCFC that had a similar view of the Brooklyn Bridge that looked really nice. I've been scouring the boards for a link, but can't find it again, sorry.

And arching the "Golden State Gales" text is a good call. Or get rid of it altogether.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Alright, sounds good. I'll download some of the font suggestions and see what I can do with that. I'll resize the 2016 to fit better and I'll get rid of the white border around the sun. I'll defenitely do the arching of the letters, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Also, I like the idea JDP, but I plan on keeping the view of the bridge the same. If I did the view you reccomended, it'd be almost identical to that of te Golden State Warriors. Not only that, I want to keep the basic elements of the logo the same. But I appreciate the ideas.

I might give this a go on Inkscape after I watch some tutorials. Thanks guys.

After several hours fiddiling with the path tool on Inkscape, I made the arched text about as aligned as possible. It might not be 'completely' perfect, but for my 'first' attempt at creating a soccer crest (well, mostly creating), I think I did fairly well.

-I added the arched "golden gate" and "Gales" to the top and bottom of the crest. I also changed the font to November Sky. I made the 2016 fit a little more snug in between the two G's. While I adore the alphabetical font, the number font is a little weird. However, for a new NASL team, I think a little uniqueness is fine.

Here it is:

zi2u.png

Edit: Not sure why there's an awkward grey border around the picture. I'll fix it when I get home.

It looks like the verticals of the bridge are slightly off-centre. I'd also recommend blowing up the font on the text.

I tried making the font larger and it just didn't look good. This was the largest I could get it.

The verticle bridge probably I can see though, so I might revisit that and try and make sure they line up better.

Other than that, what team should I take on next? I was thinking either Baltimore Comets or Boston Rovers.

Archived