Sign in to follow this  
mcrosby

Florida Gators FINAL UPDATE pg 3. bonus FSU update.

With FSU getting a logo 'update' and both FSU and Miami getting new football uniforms I thought it was high time to update that other Florida school's logo. If you follow my work, you'll know that I'm a big fan of keeping the general shape of a classic logo when updating it, that applies here as well.

I realize now that I'm uploading a version with unfinished teeth, but I wasn't quite happy with how they turned out anyways so please, C&C away.

Florida8x6_zpse3c50848.png

UPDATE

floridadribbble.png

If you opened the jaw some more you could create a semblance of an "F" inside the logo. I love the look of the teeth, but less of them would clean up the feel.

The neck part reminds me way too much of Boise.

With FSU getting a logo 'update' and both FSU and Miami getting new football uniforms I thought it was high time to update that other Florida school's logo. If you follow my work, you'll know that I'm a big fan of keeping the general shape of a classic logo when updating it, that applies here as well.

I realize now that I'm uploading a version with unfinished teeth, but I wasn't quite happy with how they turned out anyways so please, C&C away.

Florida8x6_zpse3c50848.png

3690_boise_state_broncos-primary-2013.pn

the original logo reads as a gator every time i see it.

the new one looks like it could just as easily be a dragon. i don't know if that's important or not, but it's just a general feeling i got when looking at it.

it's very well rendered, but it just looks too sleek and fast to be an alligator.

I don't see Boise State at all. You could make that argument for any animal cut off at the neck. I'd say just lessen the teeth. Having so many varying sizes is making it messy (I know you're not done). You could still have different sizes teeth, but less extreme.

Another thought is that the way you have the neck now makes it look like it is belly up and gators rarely show their bellies. Not a big deal though. Just a thought and maybe a reason ColeJ sees a dragon since gators are lurkers.

This is definitely an improvement in their real logo.

brilliant assessment. that's exactly what it is that is making me see a dragon. it's a very unnatural neck position for a gator.

Like others have said, the neck is just off and kills the imagery.

The shape and curvature of the jaw is more of a dinosaur or a lizard than that of an alligator. It looks like Toronto's velociraptor mated with an alligator and this is the progeny.

Also, remember the Gators darkened the green in the neck area (they don't use the light green color anymore)

Someone send this to Gainesville!!

It reminds me more of UAB's logo than anything else. This logo just doesn't work for Florida because alligators aren't able to bend their necks and bodies like that. If you took the neck portion out of the logo then it would be grand.

You know what's funny? I think great executed concepts like this that get posted on the boards does get the right C&C. I think people know it can be great. What's funny is that there are A LOT of bad to mediocre concepts that don't get a lot of C&C or negative feedback. It seems like if a logo doesn't start out good people feel less likely to try and help out because it would take to long, and just say 'nice job'.

Anyways, that's besides the point. I really like this a lot. I think it's a great update. It's already been said, but if the teeth are balanced better I think it will come together as a whole.

Same here as most have said the teeth needs to be more balanced and I would consider losing the neck.

I really think this does look like a gator so no issues there.

Great work as always I love your style.

Really good update. I like this a lot better than what they already have, not saying that their current logo is bad. I would like to see an option without the neck though

I really love the direction you're heading, but it could use some minor tweaks. My biggest concern is that it looks more like a Dragon than a Gator.

The teeth also rub me wrong just a little. The neck I have no concern with. I think the shape of the mouth would help make it appear more like a

Gator and maybe throw in more lines that would suggest scales. Just some food for thought, but great job!

Other than everything said above, I would make the eye if the gator white. Other than what has been said before, this is fantastic and I personally think it's already an improvement over what's the Gators have.

I agree with virtually everyone that the teeth are a problem. However, I think it might be as simple as adding a tongue to help define all the space in the mouth. Excellent start!