University of Maine Black Bears Logo Update: Update #5 (2/10/15)

MDGP

Well, after a couple of months of general poking and prodding, I'm back with my 5th update of the logo. (Update #4 looks like a freaking Keane painting now that I see it again... It's kinda creeping me out, honestly)ScreenShot2015-02-10at101923PM_zps37e424

I took into account what you guys were saying, and a couple of big changes came about.

- Smaller eyes/updated pupils.

- Updated, more pronounced snout area.

- Nose with larger, more visible nostrils.

- Mouth opened more.

- Updated ears to better reflect the size and shape of black bear ears.

- Updated fur shadow

- The one suggestion I didn't change was the teeth. For whatever reason, I really like the way the curve looks.

Thanks to everyone for the comments so far, I'd really appreciate it if you keep them coming.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I can't pinpoint it, but it looks more like a Bearcat than a Bear (minus the whiskers). Here are a few suggestions I have.

---Bears typically have dark eyes, and the humanesque eyes throw me off. I understand why you are adding the blue, but maybe remove some of the detail from the eys and make them more of solid color. The detailed eyes and minimalist look of the rest clash.

---Speaking of eyes, I think the eyes need to be roated to follow around the snout, as opposed to angled away. The outer corners of Bear eyes, particularly when they growl, tend to get pulled down from the skin/cheeks being stretched when growling.

---I think the nose needs to be a bit bigger. Looks a bit more like a cat or dog nose.

I'm not saying this is the right way to go, but it'd be interesting to see what a brown snout would look like. I know brown isn't a school color of Maine's (nor is red), but a lot of teams add extra color to a primary logo to help give the intended look.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

I think your second version (20 April 2014) is the best so far.

In that stage, no matter what the rest of the bear's colour was, you stuck with a light blue nose. Was that a reference to Maritimers in that area being called "Bluenoses" or "Bluenosers"?

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived