Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

This is interesting. From Woj:

Across the league now, owners want Sterling out. They should've done so years ago, but understand every franchise will now pay a price for failing to remove Sterling. Finally, they're pushing Silver to find a way. These owners are on the clock, and they know it.

"If the owners can't force [sterling] to sell, they need to be held accountable to change the bylaws so they can," one member of the NBA's Board of Governors told Yahoo Sports on Sunday. "A fine and suspension is meaningless, and that'll be seen as a lack of acceptance that the league and owners are responsible for this ass----."

The NBA will move to suspend Sterling in the short-term and turn its army of lawyers onto a way to force Sterling into a sale.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/exit-strategy-for-nba--donald-sterling--sell-clippers-to-magic-johnson-073015142.html

Guess he really might have to leave whether he wants to or not.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

State Farm is pulling their sponsorship of the Clippers and other sponsors are expected to do the same. I really just don't see how the franchise survives this.

State Farm said they "will be taking a pause in [their] relationship with the organization." It seems like they're open to coming back on board when the time is right.

If the league moves quickly enough, the Clippers organization might not have to suffer too badly. There's a press conference being held by the NBA tomorrow before Game 5. Silver did say he hoped to have this resolved by then.

PJU85JF.png

I can't imagine that any Laker fans hate Magic. Most of his criticism has been directed at Jim Buss, and it's the same stuff the fans are saying.

Also it's worth noting that while the league probably can't actually force Sterling to sell the team, we all know what he cares about most is money. As sponsors keep pulling out, and Rivers resigns, and players refuse to play, he could be indirectly forced to sell because the brand of the franchise will have been ruined. Even the most stubborn person would have to admit that at some point it's best to get out while the gettin's good.

Sterling's delusional. He probably would welcome Doc and the players leaving because then he can go back to being cheap again. This guy has no concept of guilt or shame. There's no chance he willingly sells.

As far as I'm concerned, the NBA can go ahead and contract the franchise after the season because there's no point to it existing. Call it an exaggeration but it might simply be the only solution to this mess. I can safely say this is the most screwed any sports franchise could ever be, and it makes the Stepien Cavs look like child's play.

I wouldn't say contraction, just relocation. I'm pretty sure the higher-ups and owners in the NBA have enough business savvy to force a hostile takeover.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Here's something to ponder:

Can the Association revoke his franchise?

They almost did in 1984, when Sterling moved the team from San Diego to Los Angeles, and did so without league approval (almost akin to Al Davis moving the Raiders to L.A. two years earlier--ironically, both moves involved the inept L.A. Coliseum Commission playing a hand luring the Raiders and Clippers to Exposition Park). Sterling sued the Association, and won...that was pretty much it.

Like with Lights Now posting the Woj article, the owners have the real power in terms of ousting Sterling; all Silver can really do is make suggestions to the Board of Governors and owners, and then act appropriately.

By the way, being a Clippers fan before the very recent past required some inherent contrarianism. The franchise has been awful for most years and had they not been gifted Chris Paul, would still be terrible now. There hasn't been much for a Clippers fan to be proud of, outside of the certain type of person who likes things others don't. As a former Expos fan, I understand that allure.

Anyway, the current Clippers are a good team that deserve a better owner. Now is a great time to move those wheels along.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Did some light googling after finding out Sterling had a girlfriend who looked no older than 30, and this dude has a wife? Like, does anyone else find THAT whole situation very uncomfortable, gross, and dysfunctional? Then you consider the fact that Donald is an awful excuse for a human being and...just, man, c'mon. I can't believe this is happening in 2014. I guess I can't be too surprised though, given his track record.

I went out and was banging a 17 year old when I was 30 and it was awesome.

tumblr_inline_mqp6ygsmMl1qz4rgp.gif

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I can't imagine that any Laker fans hate Magic. Most of his criticism has been directed at Jim Buss, and it's the same stuff the fans are saying.

Also it's worth noting that while the league probably can't actually force Sterling to sell the team, we all know what he cares about most is money. As sponsors keep pulling out, and Rivers resigns, and players refuse to play, he could be indirectly forced to sell because the brand of the franchise will have been ruined. Even the most stubborn person would have to admit that at some point it's best to get out while the gettin's good.

Sterling's delusional. He probably would welcome Doc and the players leaving because then he can go back to being cheap again. This guy has no concept of guilt or shame. There's no chance he willingly sells.

As far as I'm concerned, the NBA can go ahead and contract the franchise after the season because there's no point to it existing. Call it an exaggeration but it might simply be the only solution to this mess. I can safely say this is the most screwed any sports franchise could ever be, and it makes the Stepien Cavs look like child's play.

I wouldn't say contraction, just relocation. I'm pretty sure the higher-ups and owners in the NBA have enough business savvy to force a hostile takeover.

The thing is, it makes business sense for the Clippers to stay in the Staples Center. They make more money (when Sterling's racism is publicized anyway...) than they would anywhere else.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, it's a terrible pickle that the NBA's put themselves in. Staying in LA makes the most monetary sense, but you have to wonder if this hasn't permanently scorched the earth for the Clips (Game 5 may prove to be an indicator of that). One thing's clear though, Sterling has to be removed, at any cost. I don't understand why people are so opposed to the idea of Sterling making a boatload of cash by being forced to sell. If the NBA had done the right thing and quietly forced him out back when it first started and when the leverage was on their side, this would never have happened. The NBA gave Sterling the leverage he has now.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Additionally, imagine the PR nightmare the league would face from moving the team immediately after this scandal. They would basically be kicking sand in the face of the fans in LA right after they've already had their hearts ripped out by Sterling.

Moving is pretty much a moot point, though. Seattle is worth more to the NBA as an empty threat than as a legitimate NBA city now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I just don't think "Clipper fans in LA" is a market worth saving. Without the Lakers essentially subsidizing then they would have been sold, moved or contracted ages ago anyway.

I doubt they'll move; I just think now is as good a time as any.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

could the NBA contract the clippers then expand some where else in a couple of years? because that seem like the best option. becouse i dont want to hate magic but it would be really hard not to if he buys the team.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

could the NBA contract the clippers then expand some where else in a couple of years? because that seem like the best option. becouse i dont want to hate magic but it would be really hard not to if he buys the team.

Do we have a special place to collect great posts like this?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived