Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

This will be tied up in legal proceedings for years. Lots of questions to answer. Donald isn't going to just leave.

Technically, by the constitution of the league, he actually waives his right to sue in the event of both the 3/4 vote and the forced sale. Unless he can convince a judge to set those clauses aside (not likely), he's done.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be tied up in legal proceedings for years. Lots of questions to answer. Donald isn't going to just leave.

Technically, by the constitution of the league, he actually waives his right to sue in the event of both the 3/4 vote and the forced sale. Unless he can convince a judge to set those clauses aside (not likely), he's done.

But this is Donald Sterling and he will huff and puff til he can no longer breathe, he will never go down quietly.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

But this is Donald Sterling and he will huff and puff til he can no longer breathe, he will never go down quietly.

He's 80 years old. Maybe he'll clue in that he should take the money and enjoy what's left of his life rather than drag what's left of his name through the mud for an appreciable portion of the rest of his life.

I'd think any sale would mirror the Dodgers with a NBA coordinated auction.

Correct. When the league votes out DTS, the team officially becomes property of the NBA while the league works out a sale.

The Dodgers were in financial trouble, and MLB had somebody oversee day-to-day operations of the team before they eventually filed bankruptcy and were sold. This is a different situation.

Why would the sale procedure be different? Wouldn't the league be obligated to sell at the highest price?

VmWIn6B.png

Well back to an earlier discussion. Hopefully this will lead to a change in the logo and maybe even the color scheme of the team.

A return to this beauty or something like it would be most welcome...

San_Diego_Clippers.jpg

What exactly is/was that logo supposed to look like?
It's an abstract take on sails of a clipper ship sitting in water, with the sun beaming down. This is My favorite logo. They need this back and it doesn't need much work. Held up nicely all these years.

Yep, definitely one of the nicer NBA logos out there, past or present. I've always liked that is was obvious that it was a Clipper ship, without being blatant or cartoony as many teams would do today. It kind of shows that it was chosen by a man who so wanted to have a team in San Diego and California that he was willing to sell his multi champion Celtics to make it happen. Always been a shame they ended up in Sterlings hands for over 30 years shortly there after.

I think it screams 1970s. An update inspired by it may work, but I would not want them to go to this very version.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

When the team is sold to a new owner, I believe it would be in the teams best interest to shy away from this incident and change the name of the team or if anything do a complete rebrand. What do you guys think?

spacer.png

I disagree. The Clippers name is older than Sterling's ownership of the team and the Reds didn't change their name when Marge Schott was given the heave-ho even though she was a freakin' Nazi.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I disagree. The Clippers name is older than Sterling's ownership of the team and the Reds didn't change their name when Marge Schott was given the heave-ho even though she was a freakin' Nazi.

The Reds name has origins in the 19th century, and even that got changed during the 1950s.

He will fight this, as he's a stubborn and delusional old man, but his chances of winning are slim-to-none. He agreed to the terms of the league constitution when he bought the team, and he can't renege on them now. At most, I could see the NBA settling with him to make him go away.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

When the team is sold to a new owner, I believe it would be in the teams best interest to shy away from this incident and change the name of the team or if anything do a complete rebrand. What do you guys think?

Disagree. The name predates Sterling, and has fought tooth and nail the last few years to be rehabilitated. Overcoming Sterling is just the last step in that rehabilitation. You could see that last night with the loud and nearly universal support the team and it's identity got.

The league must approve all new owners. Even if that means refusing the highest bid.

Additionally, like with the Dodgers, it will likely be a blind auction, which all but guarantees high bids.
Additionally, like with the Dodgers, the winner of the auction will be a secretive private-equity/wealth-management firm worth hundreds of billions of dollars.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201404/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-new-owner-name-change-nba

Look, someone else has ideas, and they're all terrible.

I will reiterate. The fetishization of the old ABA is quite unhealthy at times. Especially when you are commemorating teams that nobody gave a :censored: about in LA.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived