Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of people crying foul over this citing the 1st amendment really bothers me.

Why? Most people in this country have no clue what the first amendment does and doesn't protect and who it protects them from. (Hint: it's not the NBA).

The 1st amendment only protects people from the government arresting or passing laws regarding censorship. This has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Dude, I'm pretty sure the 1st amendment means you can say anything you want at any time with no repercussions whatsoever. Twitter told me so.

Yeah, or else, we'll invoke the 2nd ammendment on your ass.

I ran across this today in the comments for an unrelated article:

"My fellow citizens:

In America, we should be able to say ANYTHING about ANYTHING and if people don't like it, they can respond in kind or just ignore the speaker. This is getting way out of control. Americans have always had thick skins. But now, Obama's Regime has changed everything. We are doomed."

Finding a comment on freerepublic.org to support your argument is no way to go through life.

It was from this LA Times article.

The amount of people crying foul over this citing the 1st amendment really bothers me.

Why? Most people in this country have no clue what the first amendment does and doesn't protect and who it protects them from. (Hint: it's not the NBA).

The 1st amendment only protects people from the government arresting or passing laws regarding censorship. This has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Dude, I'm pretty sure the 1st amendment means you can say anything you want at any time with no repercussions whatsoever. Twitter told me so.

"My fellow citizens:

In America, we should be able to say ANYTHING about ANYTHING and if people don't like it, they can respond in kind or just ignore the speaker. This is getting way out of control. Americans have always had thick skins. But now, Obama's Regime has changed everything. We are doomed."

Finding a comment on freerepublic.org to support your argument is no way to go through life.

You say that like that rag has any credibility left...

"My fellow citizens:

You say that like that rag has any credibility left...

No online comments section for any news site has any credibility.

On a side note, that was the most basic sentence I could construct. How you could read anything into that is beyond me.

This might get us back on track

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/donald-sterling-girlfriend-v-stiviano-speaks-about-relationship-barbara-walters-050214

I find it weird that she still hangs out with him after all this stuff, she is looking even more like a gold digger now

She's not a gold digger, she's his "righthand arm man" and his "silly rabbit".

The near-universal condemnation of Donald Sterling and the NBA's swift response is heartening when you read about how it's become a trend in Soccer, Land Of Happiness, to throw bananas at African players. And then there was some player who responded to fans making monkey noises by doing a little monkey dance. Bananas and monkey noises! Someone tried that on Wayne Simmonds last year, everyone got really upset, and the guy who did it was publicly shamed. But apparently this monkey stuff happens, like, seriously, all the time. I feel better as an American that we mostly limit our racism to passive-aggressive stuff like "he's such a natural athlete," "he's such a classy coach," or "they get most valuable pay of all: a college education."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The near-universal condemnation of Donald Sterling and the NBA's swift response is heartening when you read about how it's become a trend in Soccer, Land Of Happiness, to throw bananas at African players. And then there was some guy who responded to fans making monkey noises by doing a little monkey dance. Bananas and monkey noises! Someone tried that on Wayne Simmonds last year, everyone got really upset, and the guy who did it was publicly shamed. But apparently this monkey stuff happens, like, seriously, all the time.

Ya at a barca game, I want to say it was David villa got a banana thrown at him before taking a corner kick and ate it.

Like, try to imagine someone at, say, a Mets game going "ooh-ooh ah-ah" at a black player. The guy would be thrown out of the park, heckled by surrounding spectators, and then the story would blow up and Deadspin reporters would dox him and work to ruin his life forever. But apparently this is routine in soccer?

Croatian soccer fans have been known to make hissing sounds at Jewish players to simulate the sound of a gas chamber. Lesson? European soccer fans can get pretty messed up.

“I don’t want to talk about racism. There is no racism in Ukraine,” Blokhin said.

“This is a political matter. I don’t think it has anything to do with football. If there are any incidents, they will not be in Ukraine.”

This is of course the same Oleg Blokhin who, in 2006, was quoted in the New York Times in 2006 as saying that “the more Ukrainians that play in the national league, the more examples for the young generation – let them learn from Shevchenko or Blokhin and not some Zumba-Bumba they took off a tree, gave him two bananas and now he plays in the Ukrainian league.”

:/ Seriously, it's always with the bananas!

The near-universal condemnation of Donald Sterling and the NBA's swift response is heartening when you read about how it's become a trend in Soccer, Land Of Happiness, to throw bananas at African players. And then there was some player who responded to fans making monkey noises by doing a little monkey dance. Bananas and monkey noises! Someone tried that on Wayne Simmonds last year, everyone got really upset, and the guy who did it was publicly shamed. But apparently this monkey stuff happens, like, seriously, all the time. I feel better as an American that we mostly limit our racism to passive-aggressive stuff like "he's such a natural athlete," "he's such a classy coach," or "they get most valuable pay of all: a college education."

"He's got a non-stop motor."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I vaguely remember years ago (like around the time of the Al Campanis thing) when you would often hear broadcasters say things like "well, the first thing you notice about [insert black player name here] is how articulate he is". I mean come on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

We've come a long way, baby.

And yes, I think this is something Europe as a whole can learn from. We've been a pluralistic society much longer than they. More used to living together. Perfect? Not by a long shot. But slowly, ever slowly, working towards actually fulfilling the promise of our founding documents.

The near-universal condemnation of Donald Sterling and the NBA's swift response is heartening when you read about how it's become a trend in Soccer, Land Of Happiness, to throw bananas at African players. And then there was some guy who responded to fans making monkey noises by doing a little monkey dance. Bananas and monkey noises! Someone tried that on Wayne Simmonds last year, everyone got really upset, and the guy who did it was publicly shamed. But apparently this monkey stuff happens, like, seriously, all the time.

Ya at a barca game, I want to say it was David villa got a banana thrown at him before taking a corner kick and ate it.

haha, it was a recent Villareal/Barca game and Dani Alves did that before a corner. In a bit of karmic justice, Barca scored courtesy an own goal on that corner.

spacer.png

I vaguely remember years ago (like around the time of the Al Campanis thing) when you would often hear broadcasters say things like "well, the first thing you notice about [insert black player name here] is how articulate he is". I mean come on.

Joe Biden.

Archived