Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

Since Stern is gone, hopefully the new commissioner can do something about it. Wonder if the players will want out after the season.

Like what? Racism and bigotry are not illegal in the greater sense*.

True, but it's not about legality here, it's about tarnishing the image of the league and one of its franchises. Marge Schott got kicked out of baseball simply for having and openly revealing bigoted views and beliefs, I fail to see how Sterling doesn't merit the same treatment.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Stern is gone, hopefully the new commissioner can do something about it. Wonder if the players will want out after the season.

True, but it's not about legality here, it's about tarnishing the image of the league and one of its franchises. Marge Schott got kicked out of baseball simply for having and openly revealing bigoted views and beliefs, I fail to see how Sterling doesn't merit the same treatment.

You have been a Clippers fan forever, I understand that, but the housing case should have been the red alert for everybody, even Clipper Daryl.

I am still shocked on how are people OK with someone being a snitch, like that woman is.

Also, David Stern has never been happier to be retired than today.

What did Cincinnati contribute to MLB executives at the time of her scandals? Schott rode the cottails of that 1990 championship team and dismantled it herself throughout the decade by going all-Sterling on the players and praising Hitler. She didn't contribute anything of worth to league officials (TV revenue, marketing around a star player).

What do the Clippers contribute to NBA executives right now? A boost in TV ratings, more interest to see NBA games from casual fans, bankable and marketable superstars such as Griffin and Paul and a boost in merchandise sales for the team and the league. I doubt Adam Silver can punish Sterling for his actions without the league taking a revenue hit because of said action against one of the league's current cash-cow teams.

And here goes Sterling, reminding everyone that he is the worst owner the major sports in North America.

I'm not surprised he said this, but I am surprised is took so long for someone to catch him. Anybody who's familiar with Los Angeles pro sports knows how racist Sterling is, from his business dealings (I believe he made his money through real estate) to his sports franchise.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

What did Cincinnati contribute to MLB executives at the time of her scandals? Schott rode the cottails of that 1990 championship team and dismantled it herself throughout the decade by going all-Sterling on the players and praising Hitler. She didn't contribute anything of worth to league officials (TV revenue, marketing around a star player).

What do the Clippers contribute to NBA executives right now? A boost in TV ratings, more interest to see NBA games from casual fans, bankable and marketable superstars such as Griffin and Paul and a boost in merchandise sales for the team and the league. I doubt Adam Silver can punish Sterling for his actions without the league taking a revenue hit because of said action against one of the league's current cash-cow teams.

Exactly

Earlier today.

@mcuban: Its playoff time, no reason to talk about anything in the NBA that does not relate to our Mavs.

And here goes Sterling, reminding everyone that he is the worst owner the major sports in North America.

I'm not surprised he said this, but I am surprised is took so long for someone to catch him. Anybody who's familiar with Los Angeles pro sports knows how racist Sterling is, from his business dealings (I believe he made his money through real estate) to his sports franchise.

He's been caught before, but he used to get lucky on two accounts: 1.) his prior scandals largely came before the advent of social media, TMZ, and the 24-hour news cycle, so they could come and go without everyone in the world hearing about it, and 2.) David Stern was an apologist who did nothing to stop him. Additionally, the fact that his team sucked and wasn't relevant on the court reduced his scandals to the punchlines of jokes at the Clippers' expense instead of the focus of serious outrage, as ridiculous as it sounds.

Neither one of those conditions are present here. I've never seen this level of scrutiny on Sterling in my entire time as a Clippers fan. I seriously think there's a good chance that he won't be owning the team for much longer.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The NAACP is going to honor Sterling with a lifetime achievement award in May.

http://deadspin.com/naacp-to-honor-noted-racist-donald-sterling-again-1568142191?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Why would they even consider this in light of his history?

He's on the phone with them right now assuring that no blacks will be in attendance, including the New Zealand All Blacks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You have been a Clippers fan forever, I understand that, but the housing case should have been the red alert for everybody, even Clipper Daryl.

I am still shocked on how are people OK with someone being a snitch, like that woman is.

I think there is something to be said for hearing it from the horses mouth. There have always been stories, but that's all they ever were. This is conformation.

As far as her being a snitch? Maybe. I reckon, as a black woman, she got tired of that mess too. Who really knows though?

I think there is something to be said for hearing it from the horses mouth. There have always been stories, but that's all they ever were. This is conformation.

As far as her being a snitch? Maybe. I reckon, as a black woman, she got tired of that mess too. Who really knows though?

Lee, she was sued by Sterling's wife in March (see one of my earlier post).

The 2009 case and judgment should have been the red alert on his personality or business practices.

I knew that Sterling had bigoted/racist thoughts for years, so I really don't think this is news, but I have as much of a problem with snitches as much as I do with bigots/racists. You can have different opinions with one group and know it, but with a snitch, you never know when they will "drop a dime" on you and your other friends.

He's been caught before, but he used to get lucky on two accounts: 1.) his prior scandals largely came before the advent of social media, TMZ, and the 24-hour news cycle, so they could come and go without everyone in the world hearing about it, and 2.) David Stern was an apologist who did nothing to stop him. Additionally, the fact that his team sucked and wasn't relevant on the court reduced his scandals to the punchlines of jokes at the Clippers' expense instead of the focus of serious outrage, as ridiculous as it sounds.

Neither one of those conditions are present here. I've never seen this level of scrutiny on Sterling in my entire time as a Clippers fan. I seriously think there's a good chance that he won't be owning the team for much longer.

But the nba cant force him out of ownership, they can dicipline him with fines and things like that, but it is his team until he sells under his own terms. The only way to get him to sell would be to offer an unreal amount of money that he simply wouldn't be able to refuse. I dont think the nba wants to use that much money to deal with a problem that wont cost them anywhere near that much.

Press conference on NBA TV at 8:30 ET. Commissioner Silver will address this mess.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If you are black, how do you play for the clippers after this.

Money talks

These players will deal with the racism if it means a fat pay check

But there are 29 other owners who can offer the sam checks.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Lee, she was sued by Sterling's wife in March (see one of my earlier post).

The 2009 case and judgment should have been the red alert on his personality or business practices.

I knew that Sterling had bigoted/racist thoughts for years, so I really don't think this is news, but I have as much of a problem with snitches as much as I do with bigots/racists. You can have different opinions with one group and know it, but with a snitch, you never know when they will "drop a dime" on you and your other friends.

This is not news? Oh.

Just because we know something about a person doesn't mean we can't be horrified all over again when it rears its ugly head. On tape.

And I don't see how the snitching part outweighs it in any way.

When I was a little kid I was once told "If you don't want somebody to snitch on you, don't do bad things". Donald Sterling did a bad thing. He deserved to be snitched on. Deal with it.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

You can't seize someone's property because he's a creepy old racist. Make Donald Sterling cash out of the Clippers, he'll just have $400 million to buy more apartments that black people can't rent.

The league can certainly suspend him and censure him, but all this HE CAN'T OWN THE TEAM ANYMORE is just the hand-wringing of social justice warriors.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Even if she got the recording disingenuously, she's not a snitch... people who think like Donald Sterling >need< to be exposed.

I wonder if this will be the end of the Clippers in LA.

No. It won't. Again, contractual obligations with arenas and television channels will not be dissolved because Donald Sterling is gross.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived