Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The LA Times is reporting that Ballmer has won the bidding for exactly $2 billion.

Yeah, considering the last time he was involved in the potential sale of an NBA team, chances are the deal won't be approved.

Completely different circumstances there.

Agree, but that won't stop ravenous Seattle fans from speculating.

The most interesting thing to me is the whole reason Shelly Sterling is allowed to sell the team is because it's owned by a Trust. A trust which had experts declare Donald Sterling incompetent.

It's really amazing this all started about a month ago...

The LA Times is reporting that Ballmer has won the bidding for exactly $2 billion.

Yeah, considering the last time he was involved in the potential sale of an NBA team, chances are the deal won't be approved.

His bid was 25% higher than the next closest bid... that means extra value for the other 29 owners.

Estimates I heard at the beginning of this whole thing were $700M-$1B. Does everyone think that the bidding goes this high if it weren't for the controversy? Is it just because it's owning a team in LA, or is it the extra attention, or both?

Not all the estimates were that low. I never thought it would go for less than 1 billion. Bill Simmons initially estimated $1.8B.

Remember that the Bucks - a bad franchise in an old building in a seriously damaged basketball market - just sold for somewhere around twice its Forbes valuation.

So I'm not at all surprised that there's one outlier bidder willing to go that high for a good team in Los Angeles. Even if it's the also-ran team. And especially considering the Lakers look to be in for a spell of awful while the Clippers can compete on the court.

Its a combination: scarcity of available teams to purchase, location, and lets be honest, the opportunity to be a savior. If there is anything we love in American more than tearing someone down*, Its redemption and comeback stories. Ballmer is going to be a hero in LA if/when the team wins a NBA Championship. Short of LeBron signing with them, he will be the main focus of any success the team has in the near future.

*just to be clear, he deserved being torn down without question.

Also, please be clear that there is a big difference between valuation and what something can actually sell for.

Valuation is based on a lot of financial numbers, comps, and some intangibles, and is essentially what a team is "worth" if it could be magically turned in to liquid cash. That really has nothing to do with how much a team or house or anything else is worth to a potential buyer, because there are a lot more intangibles that go in to that, such as future plans the buyer has in mind, rapid appreciation in the market, the fact that a buyer may "just want it bad", etc.

A perfect example would be my house in S Philly. The "value" according to a very recent assessment is mid 2s, but I paid more than 3 for it (and it appraised at more than 3). Normally that would indicate that much like buying a stock after big news sends it artifically up, there will be a correction and I'll lose out in the end. However the appreciation in my particular neighborhood, knowledge of what businesses are going to be moving in, a lot of good press (including by the NYT), and other intangibles made it worth it to me to pay a price that I knew was too high. If I didn't, someone else would have.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sterling paid $12.5 million for the Clippers in 1981 and the team just sold for $2 billion...even with inflation built in for today (2013), he would still only have had to pay $31,554,722.39 for the team. Now minus that from the $2 billion and the man will clear a whopping: $1,968,445,277.61....this is nuts, especially for a team as bad as the Clippers.

spacer.png

Shows you that the sports team market is a beast all its own.

Plus it illustrates how far out of whack our income equality has become, that there's a steady pool of gatrillionaires willing and able to pay such prices.

But Vet's right. Valuations are merely educated guesses. The real value of a thing is whatever one person is willing to pay for it. And when that thing has an "intangible" value of its own, like pride, those educated guesses can be very, very far off.

I think Forbes removed it now, but a breakout on one of their Ballmer/Clippers stories listed the top 5 team valuations "according to Forbes."

It listed Clippers at No. 1 with $2 billion and an asterisk. At the bottom it clarified that Forbes' actual valuation in January was $575 million.

So basically it was a breakout showing how wrong their valuations are. Why would anyone believe the other four listed?

With Ballmer buying the team does this mean the Clippers will soon be shipping to Seattle. He was part of the group trying to buy the Kings after all.

No.

You don't pay $2 billion to create the Sonics mistaken.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Plus the NBA wants to squeeze a big fat expansion fee in a return to Seattle eventually.

The impression that I got from the deal is that Seattle may never get a chance to return to the NBA. Steve Ballmer really wanted to be an NBA owner and figured his best chance was to buy an existing franchise and keep them there, rather than try to get a team for the Seattle market.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

With Ballmer buying the team does this mean the Clippers will soon be shipping to Seattle. He was part of the group trying to buy the Kings after all.

No.

You don't pay $2 billion to create the Sonics mistaken.

Precisely. The big reason this team sold for $2 billion is because it's in the L.A. market. There's no way Ballmer would have paid that much for a team to play in Seattle.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

So, let's see here... Sterling lists the very trust that he was ruled mentally incompetent to administer as a plaintiff, is pursuing the exact amount as his share of the sale, and is going with all this constitutional crap when he was essentially punished the same way as if an employer got a hold of a tape of an employee making derogatory comments of management. All this while demanding that the NBA essentially clear his name despite the fact that he admitted that he said what he said, double downed on national television, and while doing nothing to shed his new accolade of being the most hated man in America.

:upside:

VmWIn6B.png

Archived