Donald Sterling: Don't Bring Black People to My Games

mania

I didn't mean the major venues. I said "important markets" and I meant it.

Do you really think New York or LA is ready and excited about a third team in town? A brand-new team in a brand-new league? In such numbers as to justify the ludicrous expense a serious challenge to the NBA there would take?

Franchises like the Clippers and Bucks are worth what they're worth because they play in the NBA. A start-up league's Los Angeles entry wouldn't be worth $2 billion. Without the television deals? And the chance to play against storied franchises? Forget $2B, it wouldn't even be worth a tenth of that.

I think all four major North American sports leagues - even the NFL - are vulnerable if you have enough people, putting enough money, for a long enough period of time, to establish a viable competitor.

Theoretically? Sure. But I don't think there's enough time or money in the world to dislodge the NFL or MLB. I'm not even sure anyone could make a reasonable run at the NBA anymore.

All of the examples you give are from decades ago, the last time anyone was able to mount even a moderately-successful challenge to one of the major pro leagues. Decades ago. In other words, before television. Before franchise values lept far and beyond the rate of inflation. Before the sports landscape was saturated. In the 1940s, or even 1960s, there will also still substantial markets the established leagues weren't in. That's leverage that the upstarts were able to use. But no longer.

The price of entry is now so much higher than it used to be. There's no unclaimed territory to start reaping instant benefits. Couple those with the multitide of new entertainment options that have arisen in the last half-century and sure, it's theoretically possible that a startup league could challenge any of the pros. But I'm still not sure there's enough time or money to actually make it happen.

I was writing all of this except worse so I deleted my post.

Something that happened in 1970 isn't really applicable to today's sports environment. Things have changed too much and the big 4 are too entrenched and over expanded.

Also, there's no cache to owning an upstart team in an upstart league in a second rate market playing in a second rate venue with what would be mostly second rate players. These billionaires want to sit courtside and/or in their luxury box and be seen with their toy and they want to do with in the league with the healthiest brand. That, is not the junky startup.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also owners want return on their investment quickly, if they cant get that then they pull out. That is why all of these leagues fail because the market wont change from the established brand.

Precisely. There are no long term investors anymore. Everyone is looking for quarterly gratification and won't eat years of losses for the possibility of making a lot of money eventually.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not even the NHL can really be challenged, and it's run by morons. Brand loyalty in Canada alone would keep them financially viable ($5 billion from Rogers for just the Canadian tv rights). Throw in the stronger American markets? You're set. The NHL is poorly run, and most hockey fans know that. Thing is they love the league and they love their teams. Just not the people running them.

• 1 month later...

Shelly won her court case today against Donald and thanks to the judge invoking the rarely-used 1310b provision, Donald can't stop the sale.

The nightmare is finally over!!!

Now the Clippers can finally focus on basketball and hopefully the new owner (who knows) can bring some optimism for the fans.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Shelly won her court case today against Donald and thanks to the judge invoking the rarely-used 1310b provision, Donald can't stop the sale.

Now the Clippers can finally focus on basketball and hopefully the new owner (who knows) can bring some optimism for the fans.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable rebranding of that team. I would like to see the orange and sky blue be a permanent thing just to have one less RWB team.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I'm looking forward to the inevitable rebranding of that team. I would like to see the orange and sky blue be a permanent thing just to have one less RWB team.

On the topic of a rebrand: Ballmer's lawyer specificially stated that the Clippers name stays.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I hope that happens too. That color scheme looks great together especially with some of the members' concepts being shown.

The Clippers should go full pink. Real men wear pink and it's time for a major team to man up and start wearing it. Keep the blue as it is and Clippers apparel will be really popular at baby showers, no matter what the sex of the baby is. Money.

Why would I not be surprised if Don takes out yet another lawsuit because "the hell with it"?

He will most likely appeal (as he literally lives to sue people), but the only thing he can possibly get out of it is monetary damages. He can't actually stop the team from being sold.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Clippers should go full pink. Real men wear pink and it's time for a major team to man up and start wearing it. Keep the blue as it is and Clippers apparel will be really popular at baby showers, no matter what the sex of the baby is. Money.

giphy.gif

Penn State used it in the past, but they changed it because of the accounts of fans being blinded by this "feminine" color. :P

My eyes hurt just trying to read this.

Literally, my pupils went out of focus for this.

Nothing wrong with pink except morons who somehow think that womanhood is shameful or weak. It's a lively, bold color that pairs well with many dark contrasting shades.

But that doesn't make it a good color for text against a white background. ;)

Furthermore, the association of the color pink with womanhood is a recent invention.

On the topic of a rebrand: Ballmer's lawyer specificially stated that the Clippers name stays.

That's fine with me as long as the colors change.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ballmer was voted in unanimously last week and the sale was officially completed and announced today! The introductory press conference/rally is scheduled for next Monday. It appears we're finally getting some closure on this saga.

Not to mention the NBA is countersuing Don Sterling for damages towards the league's reputation.

But that's none of the Clippers' business.

tumblr_inline_n877kw0HsZ1qbk1va.jpg

Ballmer was voted in unanimously last week and the sale was officially completed and announced today! The introductory press conference/rally is scheduled for next Monday. It appears we're finally getting some closure on this saga.

Awesome to hear. Bust out the sky blue and burnt orange.

Archived