New Lightning Logo (just for fun)

Jake3roo

THis is just for fun, it's a small fantasy league between my 7th grade class, the first is Jake and Andy's Ligfhtning!

-1_zps880d6052.jpg

This is a very rough scetch-up, an all for a little fun, please remember that.

tinysig.jpg

13 is usually the standard entry age on the internet, and many 7th-graders are 13.

Now, to the original poster: I started out doing this stuff around your age. Same for a lot of us, I bet. So congratulations on posting this effort. Hopefully you will keep doing this and will grow as a designer. It's a lot of work, but most enjoyable, whether as a hobbyist or a professional.

I see what you're wanting to do--use the initials "JAL". But the pieces aren't working together. I would say that, if you used a lightning logo, you wouldn't need to double up with the L shape to stand for lightning, as well. Consider what you might do with just the J-A initials and a streak of lightning. Play around. Experiment. Sketch, sketch, sketch. Do your best to make your work as clean and tight as possible. And practise. When you're starting out in a new activity, it's all practise starting out. But keep it up. ☺

rATMcmK.png

Someone please explain to me why a 7th grader is on the boards.

I joined the boards when I was in grade 6. It's been a lot of time since then (joined in 2007). Began looking at the site in grade 6.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

13 is usually the standard entry age on the internet, and many 7th-graders are 13.

Now, to the original poster: I started out doing this stuff around your age. Same for a lot of us, I bet. So congratulations on posting this effort. Hopefully you will keep doing this and will grow as a designer. It's a lot of work, but most enjoyable, whether as a hobbyist or a professional.

I see what you're wanting to do--use the initials "JAL". But the pieces aren't working together. I would say that, if you used a lightning logo, you wouldn't need to double up with the L shape to stand for lightning, as well. Consider what you might do with just the J-A initials and a streak of lightning. Play around. Experiment. Sketch, sketch, sketch. Do your best to make your work as clean and tight as possible. And practise. When you're starting out in a new activity, it's all practise starting out. But keep it up. ☺

I just joined the boards in November when I was 15, but I've been lurking on this site since I was about 10. I used to design logos all the time as well. I agree with ^this^ 110%. Congrats on posting, and just keep putting things out there. Take criticism well, and apply it well. This is a great start, and even such a small design can have lots of potential. Hopefully you'll keep posting so we can all see you grow as an artist!

If I'd offer my opinion, it seems to me that my mind jumps to a G or a C before an L with the shape of the lightning your trying to make. I'd flip the lightning on the bottom of the L.

This is C&C, not just commenting on my age. I'll try to get that before tomorrow night.

tinysig.jpg

maybe it's my monitor but is that blue a navy/royal gradient? It looks like I'm seeing navy and dark royal blue.

I see the outline as a different colour as the letters, but no gradient.

No, It's all the same color.

tinysig.jpg

There are definitely two slightly different shades of blue in the logo. I would recommend making both of them the same shade.

I agree with what was said about flipping the bottom part of the lightning. Maybe also experiment with flipping the other part.

You're off to a good start, but I feel like the two parts of your logo (the bolt and the letters) are a little bit disconnected. I don't have any specific ideas about how to fix this.

One thing that I think can help is to just get a piece of paper and sketch a few ideas for logos (this can even be borderline doodling.) Just get a few sketches and layouts on paper and then you can pick the best.

Concept making is really about experimentation and then using feedback from members to improve the product.

The age restrictions are to set a guideline so that we end up with mature members on these boards. As far as I can tell, you have more than enough maturity to be on these boards (and more than some of the people on here above the age limit).

Welcome to the boards.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

maybe it's my monitor but is that blue a navy/royal gradient? It looks like I'm seeing navy and dark royal blue.

I see the outline as a different colour as the letters, but no gradient.

No, It's all the same color.

Are you sure? The JA is definitely a different color than the outline.

Good gravy. The second part of my signature is looking truer the more time I spend on this forum.

That said, I would agree that you don't need the lightning to look like a letter. Just keep it as a bolt, then work with the J and A--and I would say you don't need those to look like the lightning, either. You could just type those instead of trying to draw them. But use a good font. There are more than enough to choose from, but you could start with something as clean as Helvetica. Look for Conrad's font thread.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

It looks good, but an "L" does not immediately jump out. I would look at the shape of the letter and maybe modify the blue a little bit. I'm not quite sure about the J-A. I like where you're trying to go with it, but I think it needs a little work.

I, for one, like NBA sleeved jerseys. :vaderandluke:

Archived