Uniforms You Associate With One Game or Moment

Squall Hammer

(I did a search to see if a topic like this already existed and I couldn't find one, hopefully I didn't miss anything.)

Are there any uniforms you associate primarily with one game, or one moment? This refers specifically to uniforms worn multiple times, because obviously we all associate Wild Wing and Burger King with the Wild Wing and Burger King Game. For example, I associate the Falcons' 1997-2002 road uniforms with the 1998 NFC Championship Game.

vikings_falcons_nfc_championship_1998-99

This is the most significant victory in Falcons history to date, not to mention one of the most exciting championship games and biggest playoff upsets. But for me to associate a uniform with one game, it's important not only for the game to be significant, but for the uniforms themselves to stick out in some way. For the 1997-2002 Falcons road uniforms, it was the red numbers. The Falcons uniforms of the 90's were so dominated by black (black jersey, black logo on a black helmet) that the red numbers on the road uniforms really jumped out at me. When I think about the 1998 NFC Championship Game, the first image that comes to mind is those red numbers.

Very similarly, the New York Giants' current road uniforms feature red numbers, even though very little red is present in the home uniforms, and so I associate those uniforms with the most significant game the Giants have won while wearing them: Super Bowl XLII.

Super-Bowl.jpg

What about you guys? What uniforms do you associate with one game, one play, one moment?

12555044613_7e41512278_o.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The obvious choice here is the Arizona Diamondbacks purple and teal era home vest uniform that they wore when Luis “Gonzo" Gonzalez hit his 2001 World Series game 7 walk off base hit.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/386269/pg2_2001gonzalez_576.jpg

I was happy when they got rid of those, but now I can't think of what a mistake that was. Such an awesome coincidence that those "dated" 90s colors ended up with a team from the one region of the country where they actually made sense to use.

The obvious choice here is the Arizona Diamondbacks purple and teal era home vest uniform that they wore when Luis “Gonzo" Gonzalez hit his 2001 World Series game 7 walk off base hit.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/386269/pg2_2001gonzalez_576.jpg

That's a great example. Not only were they worn during the franchise's greatest moment, but they also stick out because of their unique color scheme, a color scheme made even more unique by the fact that so many teams have gone away from those colors since 2001 (Though the Hornets are bringing it back).

12555044613_7e41512278_o.png

p576577741-3.jpg

Rocktober.

Was just about to post the same thing. Greatest photo in sports history, IMO.
It's definitely in the conversation, along with Ali over Liston, Micheal crying while holding the O'Brien, the exact moment Elway realized the Broncos were going to win the Super Bowl, Drew Brees with his kid after his Super Bowl win, Mine That Bird at the last quarter pole (insane how far back he was) or on the opposite spectrum Y.A. Tittle's "The Agony of Defeat".

I first thought I would not really have any, but then for some reason, this came to mind.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

338x500xAstros-Nolan-Ryan.jpg.pagespeed.

They may not have won too much with this jersey, but this is probably what people think of when someone says "Tequilla Sunrise" or "Nolan Ryan"

Not Nolan Ryan, J.R. Richard. I associate Nolan with this uniform from his Texas days (and yes, I'm totally submitting this as this one moment): http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0803/tough.guys.alltime.traditional/images/nolan-ryan.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived