Teams you like, but uniforms you hate

msubulldog

The only uniform for the Jazz I like is the green one. Other than that, I really dislike the home and away. Altogether, it's just the totally wrong color scheme for the Jazz. I'm happy to see the music note back, and prefer the music note to stay, but as a lifelong fan...the colors are just wrong. They finally found the right colors in '96, like a "Utahfied" version of the traditional colors. And the color update was perfect. Now if we take those colors and apply them to the music note? Now we're talking. As it is now though? No. Just no.

I can't really say that I hate any other of my favorite teams' uniforms as a whole, but it does irk me when Ole Miss busts out the navy pants in football. The only pants that should ever be in the locker room are the greys.

I'm torn on the current Utah Jazz colors. While I do feel that the blue and green (with "dark yellow" trim) are fitting for Utah, the colors are both too similar to one another. Maybe lighten the blue to royal or the green to kelly, if not outright replacing navy with purple/indigo/plum and it's far more palatable. My theory as to why Utah stuck with blue instead of going back to purple in 2010 is that much of the pre-1996 music note merchandise is purple and yellow, often indistinguishable from the Lakers (besides the logo). My solution? Emphasize the Jazz--as they do often with their current Navy/Green--as a Purple/Green (or Green/Purple) team. That, or go do what you've said, Purple/Light Blue, Purple/Teal, or even Purple/Copper/Black.

I'd actually like to see a hybrid (lovechild, if you insist) set of the Note and Mountain logos and jerseys. Put little serif spikes on the traditional note logo/script and possibly pre-1996 jersey number font. (SFGiants58 has a good example of what I'm talking about). Keep the current jersey template virtually as-is (I like it IMO), add some not-so 1990s-in-your-facedness mountains (i.e., at the bottom of the pants stripes), and be done with it. Granted, I'd personally prefer to focus on the original Purple/Green/Gold scheme (or a slight variation of it, i.e., plum, indigo, etc.), replacing the gray trim (pretty much for apparel/display logos) with light blue, like so:

15806057171_515b2d9e75_o.jpg

It's a slight "cheat" to give you get an updated 1980s-1996 set (with elements from the 1996-2004 set) plus a 1996-2004-colored 4th jersey, kind of opposite of SFGiants58.

As for other teams, there's definitely the Carolina Hurricanes. I don't absolutely hate them, but they're definitely a downgrade from either of their earlier sets. One way to salvage the set is to match the home uniform template with that of the road and putting the hurricane warning flag pattern back on the hem stripes of both jerseys, while bring back the original number font. I'd be tempted to replace black with a dark gray and go back to a set more reminiscent of their inaugural set.

I don't have much against the Carolina Panthers, except perhaps either dropping silver entirely (leading to a white helmet) from the palette or dropping the white pants. Maybe a black helmet if alternate helmets are ever allowed again. As far as the Panthers are concerned, I'd rather have minimal changes that don't quite fit like the new logo than to go the way of their 1995 expansion brethren Jacksonville or division rivals Tampa Bay.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Oakland Raiders logo and hardcore fanbase, but I absolutely hate their basic uniforms. I understand they are that overly used token word, "iconic" but I'm all about teams (regardless of their history) moving on. I would love to see the Raiders do something outside of the box. Honestly, I would prefer the Colts and Bears did the same. Why not the Packers, Redskins, and Chiefs? I suppose I wouldn't be against them either, but I love their color combinations so much that there's just no reason to mess with them.

So you want teams with classic looks to change because you are "all about teams moving on." That's basically saying "they should change for change's sake." Which is NEVER a good idea to change.

mdTa6of.jpg

Put a yellow helmet on this magnificent uniform and this would be my #1 NFL uniform. :notworthy:

No thanks.

Ohio State's away alternate with the white pants. I just prefer they wear the greys instead.

From what I know, that was the plan last year at Penn State until it was announced as a white-out. Then the Buckeyes decided to "wear white to the white-out."

Ohio State's away alternate with the white pants. I just prefer they wear the greys instead.

From what I know, that was the plan last year at Penn State until it was announced as a white-out. Then the Buckeyes decided to "wear white to the white-out."

That's awesome! Though if they had lost they would have been branded a disaster or punishment from the uni gods.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Angels' red-on-red alternate. Although they're my favorite team, I can't stand watching them wear this for a good amount of games. It's a horrible-looking jersey. I want them to go back to the vest they ditched in 2010. The Clippers are going to be a monstrosity for the upcoming seasons. That'll be a bummer.

Even though I see retro merchandise from this era all the time, I've never been able to warm up to it:

8573-5Fr.jpggiants_149.jpg

While the front of the road uniform and the cuff patterns do look good, the rest of the set is rather dull. The bulbous wordmark, the Impact/Helvetica-influenced display font (which sadly survived until 1999), and the rounded cap logo really do not make for a great set. Don't get wrong, it's still better than many other identities from the 1980's, but it's underwhelming in the context of the Giants' uniform history.

I wouldn't say I hate these (how could i ever hate anything related to WVU, the Natties, or the Caps?) but I definitely don't care for these:

Sims11913.jpg

That WVU uniform is beyond fugly, IMO.

Take the vertical chest/side stripes off this jersey (leave the shoulders) and you have perfection. WVU has gone through some downgrades lately.

sfb_081013_fo_brinkley-wvu.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

If they would wear the aqua pants for all road games I may not hate them so much:

miami-dolphins.jpg

The facemask is the only improvement from the last set:

CClzTKcWIAIj4kC.jpg-large.jpg

I didn't even realize that was the Browns - I hadn't seen that image before.

Thought it was Bowling Green for a long time.

#cleve'd_it

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived