Hand drawn MLB concepts (Question on Converting to Photoshop)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this was bumped, I'll give you all an update. I worked with both the navy and green, as well as the purple and silver. As soon as I finished the cap sketch with the navy, I realized the uniform with look way too generic. So I began with the purple and silver and all I came up with was their current set with an updated font. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Alright, I got stuck on Colorado so I decided to move on to Miami. It's a little more simple then their current set, and I only used to colors (teal and yellow-orange) instead of the million they currently have.

image_zpsf6f541ac.jpg

I tried to imitate a marlins nose in the "M" and that's what it's suppose to be but it kind turned into a mess. I was stuck between and orange all or a teal alt and I chose the orange for this reason: the orange could be worn with the road cap and socks while a teal jersey would look bad with an orange cap and accessories. The second alt would be used in a limited amount of games and is more of a fauxback than anything. I accidentally used a script similar to their current one but I felt it worked with a fifties era uniform. the jersey would be faux flannel.

Alright, I decided to take a stab at Montreal.

image_zps458d6316.jpg

I'm treating them as an expansion team, however I wanted to maintain part of their old history, kind of like the Charlotte. Here is the wordmark, ad I would love some feedback and some suggestions on how to approach their uniforms. Also, I'm thinking about having a French alt uniform something like "Les Expos" (or would it be "Le Expos"?) but that isn't really set in stone.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it would be Les Expos, but I did mean l'Expos, I honestly did.

Alright, I decided to take a stab at Montreal.image_zps458d6316.jpg

I'm treating them as an expansion team, however I wanted to maintain part of their old history, kind of like the Charlotte. Here is the wordmark, ad I would love some feedback and some suggestions on how to approach their uniforms. Also, I'm thinking about having a French alt uniform something like "Les Expos" (or would it be "Le Expos"?) but that isn't really set in stone.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it would be Les Expos, but I did mean l'Expos, I honestly did.

Very excited to see this, Montreal is my favorite mlb jersey

Fear the future, envy the past

Honestly you're not getting a lot of feedback because it's hard to give feedback on concepts that you can't really visualize because the drawing is a poor representation of the look you're actually going for.

Hand-drawn concepts are great - not everyone can use software, and even if you can use software, you should still start out with the sketches and drawings first. However, you look like you're really rushing and being sloppy with these.

Sketch out with pencil first - focus on getting straight lines with your letters / numbers that are supposed to be straight, and consistent curves with your round letters. Take your time - if you're a poor drawer, then time and an eraser can compensate for that. Also, use rulers, compasses, those circle things (forget what they're called), and other tools to get straight lines or perfect arches for your wordmarks.

Also, if you need to, go bigger - when hand drawing, you can be more detailed if you use a bigger canvas and then resize after scanning.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Honestly you're not getting a lot of feedback because it's hard to give feedback on concepts that you can't really visualize because the drawing is a poor representation of the look you're actually going for.

Hand-drawn concepts are great - not everyone can use software, and even if you can use software, you should still start out with the sketches and drawings first. However, you look like you're really rushing and being sloppy with these.

Sketch out with pencil first - focus on getting straight lines with your letters / numbers that are supposed to be straight, and consistent curves with your round letters. Take your time - if you're a poor drawer, then time and an eraser can compensate for that. Also, use rulers, compasses, those circle things (forget what they're called), and other tools to get straight lines or perfect arches for your wordmarks.

Also, if you need to, go bigger - when hand drawing, you can be more detailed if you use a bigger canvas and then resize after scanning.

I'm not rushing these, I've only posted five or six uniforms in a month. I'm also not scanning these as I don't have a computer. Thank you for the feedback though. I'd actually like you to add on to what you're saying

• 1 month later...

Agreed with TheGiantsFan. Maybe try to encircle the logo in a circle or semicircle to "hold it all together." I like the Rockies' color scheme!

Otherwise, I like what you have going! I agree with BringBackTheVet, but also understand that attention to detail doesn't develop over night. I did a thirty team hand-drawn baseball league about two years ago and as I went, the concepts improved dramatically. So, (probably)notabandwagonfan, I would say to (1) start doing some brainstorming before each concept to figure out which ideas work and which don't (2) although it sucks so much, don't be afraid to start over if you make a mistake (3) just keep going! I'll try to comment because I know how hard it is to do a series without much C&C, but honestly, if you just keep going, you will improve.

Alright, so I'm going to redraw the home uniform, as I realize that the R should be bigger than the "ockies" part. Also, I think Giants1883 is right, and I'll be adding pinstripes along with the redraw. I'm think about drawing two or three versions (socks showing, pants down, and a vest option) of my "template" and then copying them onto one of my family members computer so I can just print them out as well. I will probably have this complete by the end of the week, along with a much improved logo.

Archived