Uniform looks and identities that you miss in sports

Tigers6884

This set defined THE team of the 80's and 90's. No one ever wanted to mess with these guys, and if you beat em, props to you. They never need to change these. If they had just added the current font, everything would've been perfect, and they never would have had to wear anything different. The only thing they needed to do with these was match the helmet and pants striping(preferably the helmet) on the white pants, and they would've been done.

ray-lewis2.jpg516zXjZCmhL.jpg

And it helps that an absolute beast wore those (pictured above).

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

peter-bondra-washington-capitals-signed-

apr26_18.jpg

Ovechkin-Named-Captain-of-the-Washington

Still to this day my favorite NHL identity of all-time...and one of my top faves across all sports, period. Unique in design, color-scheme--and I always loved the currency note inspired font.

(This also gets at what I think I miss most about sports uniform design overall: the level and quality of both detail and craftsmanship. Take the font...quirky as it was, it still looked as if it could be a real font instead of all hackneyed like so many "proprietary" fonts nowadays. Another thing: the NOBs were also double outlined to match the numbers...that's another detail I always loved about the 1998-2008 Jacksonville Jaguars' uniforms as well-another of my top fave identities of all-time--and something we barely see anymore.)

Other honorable mentions (and all-time top faves):

Phoenix-Coyotes-Inaugural-Black-Jersey-1

PHP4BBD3CA869B58.jpg

New-England-Patriots-Drew-Bledsoe.jpg

aaoi214.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

peter-bondra-washington-capitals-signed-

apr26_18.jpg

Ovechkin-Named-Captain-of-the-Washington

Any reason both the Wizards and Caps had the same color scheme then changed it to the Red,White, and Blue scheme they both currently use?

For me I would love to see the green trim return the Brewers. I know I'm probably in a minority here, but I also think an updated version of the Glove logo could be made too with that color scheme. (Gold Glove with white and green trim?)

164032d1250395793-gambo-t_wil1-photopack

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

I think they were both determined to return to the "American" colors what with DC being the nation's capital. I personally preferred the much less cliché and (IMO) far superior blue black and broze--and hope some team somewhere revives that scheme.

And dear Lord, guy...you just reminded me of another of my all-time faves:

nomo-mil2.jpg.w300h341.jpg

86393a_lg.jpeg

jimabbott050608_fullsize_story3.jpg?2008

I know many don't particularly care for this set...but I always loved the Germanic scripts and numbers of this...and the way they used to mix in just a little bit of the green. Much like the Capitals, this set had true character all its own. (And one of these days I need to finish collecting all the characters from this font so I can finish tracing them...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It is a real bummer looking through this thread as a 17 year old wishing that sports still looked like this, and not the garbage we are seeing today.

I've heard people our age complaining about being born in the wrong generation for music (DAE hate Kanye and love a little band called Queen!1!!111) but your post is a whole new thing. This thread is cherry picking the good uniforms, hence the title, just like how you could cherry pick all the bad jerseys from today.

But yes, back in the good old days.

COOPERALLS2.jpg

IbjBaeE.png

It is a real bummer looking through this thread as a 17 year old wishing that sports still looked like this, and not the garbage we are seeing today.

I've heard people our age complaining about being born in the wrong generation for music (DAE hate Kanye and love a little band called Queen!1!!111) but your post is a whole new thing. This thread is cherry picking the good uniforms, hence the title, just like how you could cherry pick all the bad jerseys from today.

COOPERALLS2.jpg

The fact that they are in copperas kills the look

COOPERALLS2.jpg

The fact that they are in copperas kills the look

That's my point.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived