Uniform looks and identities that you miss in sports

Tigers6884

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tony-gwynn-80s.jpg

I really did like the Padres look here as well

Now THAT is a Padres look I can get behind. Not that ugly Taco Bell crap everyone else here seems to love :P

The problem is that that is the road uniform. The home uniform from that set was hideous.

8570-4Fr.jpg

A white version of that road uniform, with yellow replacing orange, would make a fine-looking home uniform. (It wouldn't be nearly as distinctintive to that team as the 1984 home uni; but it would be attractive.) I'd accept using the 1985-and-later SD logo in which the entire bottom curve of the S is within the D; but I'd want to keep the bell hat. (Honestly, the urge to throw out everything that makes this team special is perverse.)

And you could pair it with this road uniform:

mlb_g_willmts_576.jpg

I'd also use the numbers from this set, rather than the goofy-looking digits from the 1985 unis.

That would be good enough for me. As along as they had their real colours of brown and yellow, and an overall dignified look, then I'd be satisfied.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Wearing my “Robo-Penguin" jersey today reminds me that I also wish the Pittsburgh Penguins would do a couple of throwback games with those jerseys. I despise Sidney “Crybaby" Crosby and the current Penguins, but Mario Lemiuex was one of my favorite hockey players, and the uniforms from the “Robo-Penguin" era remind me of his triumphant return from Hodskin's lymphoma.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Definitely the old Diamondbacks' purple pinstripes. I know they were a ripoff of the Yankees mixed with the Rockies, but I loved that look. They even won a world series with that look! Shame that their identity went with the trends of the MLB.

Curt_Giles_Slapshot_1024x1024.jpg?v=1374

Looked better without the black, but this was a nice set.

I never, ever say this, but I love the black in that uniform. It really ties everything together, and makes the green and yellow really pop. I love those light green helmets they wore then too. One of my favorite unis of all time right there.

Do baseball jackets count as identities? If so, I miss them and would like to see them return to MLB dugouts. BlB8VLfCAAEzMs4.jpg

I don't really think it qualifies. It's not really part of the baseball uniform, so it would be under the same category as team sweatshirts or t shirts. Identities" would be things like logos, color scheme, stadiums, etc.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Curt_Giles_Slapshot_1024x1024.jpg?v=1374

Looked better without the black, but this was a nice set.

I never, ever say this, but I love the black in that uniform. It really ties everything together, and makes the green and yellow really pop. I love those light green helmets they wore then too. One of my favorite unis of all time right there.

And it's been my contention since they were unveiled that the current Stars home set would like worlds better with a green helmet as well.

Do baseball jackets count as identities? If so, I miss them and would like to see them return to MLB dugouts.

BlB8VLfCAAEzMs4.jpg

I'd say yes. Those were part of the uniform for pitchers that weren't pitching and the coaches.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

This Red Sox look:

<photo snip>

That is classic.

am i missing something or isn't this pretty much the same uniform they have today

<photo snip>

Compare the piping on the sleeves and placket. Also, those stirrups. :wub:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived