Tampa Bay Lightning early phase

aph7824

I never bring something this early... But I just need help.. I need your help. How can I perfect this?

- note:

- This is REALLY early.

- I haven't done the hands / finish the arms.

It's part of my nhl series I'm working on.... I just need help in making a finish product.

lightning_zps20010cce.jpgI

Give it a hand for starters.

I really like the basic concept.

I think you're going to need to either centre the lighting bolt or have it going diagonally across the logo to balance it out.

Also i'd have Zeus looking at us, not down. I get why you've done it that way, but if he's looking down on a hockey jersey he's just looking at the ice.

But I really like the basic concept and the way you've coloured it thus far.

What is the blue and white thing under the beard?

I'm sorry. I really don't like to bring things to this board that aren't in a "close to being complete" state and this is no where close. It is his arm ... well half of it.

What is the blue and white thing under the beard?

I think that's his other arm but without a hand.

yes. It ends with the beginning of the fore arm. I, again, don't like to bring uncomplete work here but I just needed some guidance.

Give it a hand for starters.

I really like the basic concept.

I think you're going to need to either centre the lighting bolt or have it going diagonally across the logo to balance it out.

Also i'd have Zeus looking at us, not down. I get why you've done it that way, but if he's looking down on a hockey jersey he's just looking at the ice.

But I really like the basic concept and the way you've coloured it thus far.

Yes - I really don't like to bring uncomplete work to this board - but I really needed guidance. I will work on hands asap.

Thank you. I'm glad you like it in this early of a state...

Wow. You are exactly right - thank you for this idea. I'm all about "balance" and harmonious designs. I think you are right. What do you think about it going horizontal ... and kind of behind the head?

... I'll have to reposition the eyes. This is something I'm going to have to "see" in order to "see" if I like it. I did this because I wanted "force"

Thanks for the last compliment. I really want to perfect this.

Good start, but definitely a major way to improve it would be to add hockey aspects. make the bolt look like a stick (or maybe another lightning bolt across the top to make a "T" and then add a bolt to make a "B"), or add a puck. Definitely need the hockey inclusion.

Someone else close to me said the same thing... but I looked at the current identity of the lightning... and it has none. And I don't think it needs one... I might make the stick a bolt - but this is the fundamental direction i want to go in. Thanks for the reply! and i'll have to play around with it a bit. :)

I really like the start of what you have and think it can be (and honestly already is) and upgrade of what the Lightning already have. Just keep listening to the advice of some of the veteran posters and you'll have an even better concept.

I do have a suggestion about color scheme though, and believe you should add a little yellow somewhere In there. A blue/black/yellow color scheme for the lightning would be a very good push away from the "Maple Leafs" copy.

I really like the start of what you have and think it can be (and honestly already is) and upgrade of what the Lightning already have. Just keep listening to the advice of some of the veteran posters and you'll have an even better concept.

I do have a suggestion about color scheme though, and believe you should add a little yellow somewhere In there. A blue/black/yellow color scheme for the lightning would be a very good push away from the "Maple Leafs" copy.

Thanks for your compliments!

I thought about that... And I love the addition of yellow... But your reasoning... Taking a "maple leafs" copy and adding yellow would be making a St. Louis blues, preds and Sabres copy...... I would have to find a happy medium between the black/blue/white and black/blue/yellow/white

I love where you're going with this. But the hand holding the bolt is really awkward--is it not finished? I know you said that the hands were a work in progress.

rATMcmK.png

I love where you're going with this. But the hand holding the bolt is really awkward--is it not finished? I know you said that the hands were a work in progress.

Yeah the hands are no where close to being done... I just needed help - especially on those... Any guidance?

Are you trying to figure out how to draw the hand holding the bolt? Honestly, hands are notoriously difficult to draw, so when I need to draw a hand in a logo, I usually hold something myself, looking in a mirror if need be, to figure out how the fingers, palm, and back of the hand relate to each other.

rATMcmK.png

not sure whats going on in the far right (within the black)

I'm working on that... right now its his hair... but it hink i need to make it all white.

Are you trying to figure out how to draw the hand holding the bolt? Honestly, hands are notoriously difficult to draw, so when I need to draw a hand in a logo, I usually hold something myself, looking in a mirror if need be, to figure out how the fingers, palm, and back of the hand relate to each other.

Yeah... going to look up hand studies and try to figure out how I can get better at that...

I enjoy concepts like this almost all lightning concepts have a lightning bolt and circle design. It's tough coming up with original ideas for a team named lightning i guess, only other idea i could come up with is some type of a shield logo similar to the L.A. Kings. Maybe you could try something like that but involving Zeus.

Good start, but definitely a major way to improve it would be to add hockey aspects. make the bolt look like a stick (or maybe another lightning bolt across the top to make a "T" and then add a bolt to make a "B"), or add a puck. Definitely need the hockey inclusion.

Solid idea. I really like when logos tie in a part of the sport, player, location, or some cool backstory.

Thrashlete-Logo1-400px.png

TRAIN DIRTY. PLAY DIRTY. DESIGN DIRTY.

Thrashlete.com

Thrashlete on Facebook

Thrashlete on Twitter

I really liked how in your first mock up the lightning was white and appeared to be the light source in the image. Putting it behind Zeus's head while not adjusting the shadow and changing it to yellow kind of downplayed the implied physical nature of lightning (intense bright light)

IMO I would just slightly thicken up the bolt from the first image and maybe rotate it a lil less than 45degrees so that it slightly goes behind Zeus's head.

Archived