Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

11 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

Realistically, we knew the field template would not change, if anything, it would have been worse. If the eagles can finish, which, who knows, we’ve seen big comebacks before, I would expect any more than this field, but with the Vikings number font (I’m on mobile so I’ll have to do it tomorrow when I have my laptop)

lKlOyK9.png

<Mod Edit>.

Edited by Atomic
Not doing this again.

So a first early concept of what we know so far ...

52.png

I adjusted the positioning of the Super Bowl logo, kept the vikings number font as we see it, and added the team boxes, with the same colors as the endzones. Last year the team boxes were the helmet colors of the two teams, but because the Eagles have green helmets, it would seem odd to have one teambox the same color as the endzone, and the other not.

We'll have to wait and see what happens once the team logos and wordmarks start getting added to the field if there are any surprises or changes, but the NFL is some what predictably bland when it comes to the Super Bowl. I'll also have to update the purple border to the stands with whatever the NFL puts up for the Super Bowl.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jc... said:

I came up with a new laziness fear. The Eagles script without the shadow and outline. 

It wouldn't be the first time they got lazy with the Eagles wordmark. In Super Bowl XXXIX they left the green out of the shadow in the black beneath the wordmark, which was interesting. Not sure if it was a mistake, or a decision to do it purposely though.

• Like 1

I think the Vikings field number font makes the field unique for the first time in a long time on recent super bowl fields. <MOD EDIT>

Edited by officeglenn
Let's stay on topic. This is about the fields themselves, not who's playing on them.

6 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

It wouldn't be the first time they got lazy with the Eagles wordmark. In Super Bowl XXXIX they left the green out of the shadow in the black beneath the wordmark, which was interesting. Not sure if it was a mistake, or a decision to do it purposely though.

Daaayyyuuuumm, that SB field will  blow this one away.  SMH at the NFL.

10 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Is it certain they won't swap out the Vikes' numbers with generic ones? They did that last year (unless the Texans added theirs this season):

SBLI:

img_1317.jpg

anonymous-20170910175455.jpg

(best I could find)

I think the Titans just added them this past year. I have seen pictures of US Bank stadium with both the Vikings number font intact, and when they play Baseball for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, I have seen severly faded numbers

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

14 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

Is it certain they won't swap out the Vikes' numbers with generic ones? They did that last year (unless the Texans added theirs this season):

SBLI:

(best I could find)

The Texans had a generic number font for 2016. They replaced the turf this season:

2016 Texans

2017 Texans

• Like 1

I was just on the Vikings website. From what I can tell, the center of the field (where the "Norseman Logo is) and the endzones are swapable with a system much like what is used at Met Life field. The numbers are not a part of that system. They can be painted over, but with the shorter time frame to set up the stadium. I think they might keep the numbers as they are now. 

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

15 minutes ago, SumanCommaJake said:

Eagles Endzone: 

axQxYcK.jpg

Interesting that the spacing between the logo and wordmark are not evenly spaced between the boundaries as the logos and wordmarks were the past two years. There just seems to be a lot of empty space between the logos and the sidelines, at least for the Eagles endzone. I'm not sure why the NFL is okay with all that empty space, but then again, the fields have had less and less detail every year, and I'm not sure what the reasoning is. Maybe they think it looks "cleaner"? The boring Super Bowl logos look "cleaner" to them? Like a less is more thing? I don't know, but it sucks.

4 minutes ago, jc... said:

Almost looks like the same size script template from SB-XXXIX. 

Yeah, it does look to be about the same size, except they dropped the white outline from outside the gray outline as they did in XXXIX. The wordmark does look smaller than what they had on their fields from 2003 to 2016.

9 minutes ago, crosby87rules said:

Patriots endzone is finished

DUQJpNpW4AArCfz.jpg

Well that's interesting. Same endzone as last year for the Patriots, but the endzones have reverted to home team on the left, away team on the right, as they were from Super Bowl's VII through XLIV. From Super Bowl's XLV through LI, the home endzone was on the right. Not sure how this gets decided. For Super Bowl XLV, the home endzone and sideline in Cowboys stadium is opposite from most of the NFL, so I feel like that may have been the source of the change. After that game though, it was never corrected until now. I'd expect the Patriots sideline to be on the bottom of the field, as they were last year.

The blue in the Patriots endzone looks a bit dark, but the color usually lightens up a bit. For Super Bowl XLVI though, their endzone was a noticeably darker shade of navy.

Here's another shot

3ILbOZx.png

It's still a little hard to judge the size of the logos in the Eagles endzone, but I was able to get a good guess based on relevant locations of the numbers and inner hash marks

• Like 1

Wow. I don't know if I'm just OCD or weird, but these end zones are absolute joke. How in the hell can you NOT have the same sized woodworks/fonts in the end zone? It looks ridiculous that the Patriots end zone looks the correct size (despite no AFC conference logo) while the Eagles end zone looks about half that size (way too much green, empty space. I don't get it, can't you just enlarge the Eagles woodwork to the same as the patriots? This was the same mistake with the end zones for Super Bowl 50. It looked correct for SB 51. Who does the NFL hire for this job? I want it. It's not that difficult. I'm almost glad my Vikings lost so I don't have to look at this for 2 weeks and a 3 1/2 hour game. 

Hey guys, first post here.  Awesome thread here.

Is anybody else downright angry about these pathetic end zones?  I know it sounds silly, but the Super Bowl field design is one of my favorite things about the Super Bowl.  I love the old helmets with the conference logo in them, always wished they had never got rid of those. (I also like the SB log at midfield with the helmets at the 25s way better than the NFL logo at midfield and the logo at the 25s.) But now to not even have the conference logo at all? When I saw that huge space in the Eagles end zone in the in-progress shot of it, I just assumed they were putting the NFC logo there. How it is now, it's pathetic.  Why would the NFL do this for their showcase event?

Does anyone know whether the NFL would have possibly just left the Vikings end zone intact for the Super Bowl if they had won as a sort of "Easter Egg"?