Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NFC (and originally, the NFL) is the home team in all odd-numbered Super Bowls.

Which means the AFC will be the home team in SB 50. My question is: how does the NFL decide which end zone to color for which team? I can't see a pattern (e.g., home team always gets left end zone) that holds for all Super Bowls.

Just curious if there is a rule.

From Super Bowl's VII to XLV the home endzone always corresponded to the home sideline of the stadium. The problem occurred after Super Bowl XLV because the Cowboys home sideline is opposite of most stadiums, so the home endzone was moved to the opposite side. In Super Bowl XLVI they did the opposite of Super Bowl XLV and didn't base it on the sidelines, and they have been going opposite of the previous years endzones ever sense.

SB XLVIII was like SB XLV with the home sideline being the top sideline when it's watched on TV, since that's the home sideline for the Giants and Jets. I noticed the teams have run out of tunnels that are the same as their end zone. In SB's XLVII, XLVIII and XLIX. In XLV & XLVI, both teams entered on the right side which was colored for the "home team."

I'm still not used to it. I'm used to seeing the home end zone being on the left and the road end zone being on the right.

Super Bowl XLIV Update

MGg50Yg.png

There are some clear changes, that being the dirt around the field and adding the team boxes. I also changed the numbers and made the Colts blue just slightly lighter.

Official Super Bowl XLIV Post

Super Bowl XLIV Update

There are some clear changes, that being the dirt around the field and adding the team boxes. I also changed the numbers and made the Colts blue just slightly lighter.

Official Super Bowl XLIV Post

It technicaly was not "Dirt" it was a synthetic compound that resembled dirt but was solid instead of granualated. It was far more stable as the stadium converted so much from baseball to football!

Edited by SFCOM1

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Super Bowl XLII Update

x7U6cf6.png

Changes to the actual field besides adding team boxes was the number font and I darkened the red a bit. And again, thanks to SFCOM1 for the UoP field tray here.

I didn't include the smaller version of the field because it's redundant. Also I'm only going to add team boxes to the fields that had them painted, which is back to Super Bowl XXXII. I still plan on posting the fields when I add the team boxes (unless this is getting annoying, so let me know if it is). I will probably make further changes to the number font on fields past that, but I won't post those changes because they are too minor.

Official Super Bowl XLII Post

• Like 1

Super Bowl XLI Update

SToWbS6.png

Changes include the numbers and the coloring of the white paint. I really like the team boxes here matching with the endzone conference logos. It was unique to have the 'banner' in both the endzones and team boxes, and I wish they would have done something similar in the team boxes for Super Bowl XL.

Super Bowl XLI official post

Super Bowl XL Update

GAkMHb5.png

I changed the '0' for the number and moved the directional arrows closer to the numbers for this field. I also centered the conference logos between the wordmarks and the sidelines. For the team boxes, I was able to find many good images of the Steelers sideline, but none for the Seahawks so there is a little bit of guess work. I assumed the Seahawks logo would be the same height as the Steelers logo and I assumed the stripes would also be black and not blue like their endzone. From what I could see of their sideline I believe the Seahawks logo was facing the way I have it (not up-side-down). If anyone can find a good picture of the Seahawks sideline I'd appreciate it, because I've had a hard time finding one so far.

Official Super Bowl XL Post

Super Bowl XXXIX Update

8kesyiJ.png

Besides the team boxes, I changed the numbers, the paint around the 20ydl at the Patriots end of the field. Before it was outlined in blue and red, but I changed it to just outlined in blue. I also added a dark strip of grass between the outer hashes and sidelines.

Official Super Bowl XXXIX field post

I know it's probably already been said, but having the team boxes and the walls around the field really adds a lot, and makes this project even more interesting. Before you started adding it, I had no idea that team boxes were ever painted, other than a simple outline.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

I know it's probably already been said, but having the team boxes and the walls around the field really adds a lot, and makes this project even more interesting. Before you started adding it, I had no idea that team boxes were ever painted, other than a simple outline.

That's for sure. The team boxes are an important part of the field art and this years field inspired me to finally go back and add the team boxes in for the fields in which they painted them. The team boxes looked really good from XXXII (when they started) up to XLI. From XLII to XLVII it was just a logo in the same color as the endzone which was too plain. This year at least they made an effort to make something look nice on the field with the team boxes, which I'm glad they did because it gives me hope that the Super Bowl 50 field will at least look decent and maybe they will suprise us.

I'm also looking for a second opinion on the Super Bowl XII field. I've been going back and forth on the arrow color and I still can't figure it out. One of the colors is blue (top left and bottom right arrows in the field) and the others are either red or orange (bottom right and top left in the field) but I still can't decide. Here is the link to the field I have currently: Super Bowl XII Field

Here is a link to a video of the full game on YouTube that I just discovered and probably won't be up long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK-sy7mU-XI

Super Bowl XXXVIII Update

NMkI4hB.png

I changed the numbers and the helmets in the endzone by adding a thicker boarder around them. Also for the game it looks like the added sod around the outside of the field (the darker grass) and I'm not sure if that was just for the Super Bowl or if they had the sod outside the field the entire '03 season. Looking back at pictures Houston did a really good job with the stadium and the field. Everything was really colorful and kept with the space theme and made it feel like a big event. Hopefully they will do as well with Super Bowl LI.

Official Super Bowl XXXVIII field post

Super Bowl XXXVIII Update

NMkI4hB.png

I changed the numbers and the helmets in the endzone by adding a thicker boarder around them. Also for the game it looks like the added sod around the outside of the field (the darker grass) and I'm not sure if that was just for the Super Bowl or if they had the sod outside the field the entire '03 season. Looking back at pictures Houston did a really good job with the stadium and the field. Everything was really colorful and kept with the space theme and made it feel like a big event. Hopefully they will do as well with Super Bowl LI.

Official Super Bowl XXXVIII field post

Many times sod will be added to a field (especialy outside the sideines) Just way too much traffic and with the camera carts and all the photogaphers up and down the sidelines. The sidelines can get very "bare" over the course of a season.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Super Bowl XXXVII Update

E798Qxq.png

I made changes to the helmets along with the numbers.

This is some general advice and tips that may be helpful based on my recent experiences. If you don't have your files backed up, back them up now. I recently tried downloading Paint.Net and ended up getting a virus. I didn't have any anti-virus software so be sure your downloading from trusted sources if any of you also don't have anti virus software. Not to say Paint.Net isn't a trusted source, but downloading anything without anti virus software could be a potential threat. Fortunately I keep good track of backing up my files so I didn't loose anything when I completely wiped my hard drive. The only thing I lost was some time, but it could have been much worse. This is why keeping up to date back ups is crucial, because out of no ware something could happen and you have to be prepared.

Official Super Bowl XXXVII field post

Super Bowl XXXVI Update

sfzYAmg.png

Changed the numbers and helmets for this field also.

They went with the flag in the footballs for this game instead of the team logos, to match the patriotic theme.

Official Super Bowl XXXVI field post

Super Bowl XXXVI Update

sfzYAmg.png

Changed the numbers and helmets for this field also.

They went with the flag in the footballs for this game instead of the team logos, to match the patriotic theme.

Official Super Bowl XXXVI field post

Had 9/11 not happened and the patriotic theme, we would've seen the logos within the footballs on the sidelines.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png