Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Super Bowl XVI: January 24, 1982 - Pontiac Silver Dome, Pontiac, Michigan

San Francisco 49ers - 26        Cincinnati Bengals - 21

vKR7zBc.png

< Super Bowl XV    First Post    Super Bowl XVII >

Super Bowl XVI: Pontiac Silver Dome, Pontiac, Michigan.

16_zpsbceb2ac3.png

The one thing that might need some work are the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5. I didn't add any gaps in them because I couldn't tell if there were any. Some help there will be appreciated.

Judging by that image a few pages ago, the Bengals script wasn't that bunched together, but spread out. I think.

Here the only one I still have from the Detroit News Archives

39081310E.jpg

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

To me it did look like it was buched up based on that image, but I'll go back and find a better image and adjust the wordmark accordingly, or even take a look at what they used in XXIII

The "1" and the "2" did not have any gaps. The "3" "4" and "5" did. On the "3" is was at the top and bottom. The "4" was at the top a seperation where the diagonal arm met the the top. And the "5" was at the bottom base and the left middle at the junction of the small arm and the begining of the upper part of the loop!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Super Bowl XVI: Pontiac Silver Dome, Pontiac, Michigan.

16_zpsbceb2ac3.png

The one thing that might need some work are the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5. I didn't add any gaps in them because I couldn't tell if there were any. Some help there will be appreciated.

Judging by that image a few pages ago, the Bengals script wasn't that bunched together, but spread out. I think.

Here the only one I still have from the Detroit News Archives

39081310E.jpg

the Letters are about .the right width, But a bit to tall. Narrow the height a smidge and you got it.

The "1" and the "2" did not have any gaps. The "3" "4" and "5" did. On the "3" is was at the top and bottom. The "4" was at the top a seperation where the diagonal arm met the the top. And the "5" was at the bottom base and the left middle at the junction of the small arm and the begining of the upper part of the loop!

I'm not seeing the gap on the 5

16_5_zps301dc232.png

And the 4 is looking like the same height as the 0

16_4_zps371abb0e.png

And this is the best shot i could see of the 3 which is inconclusive because of the angle

16_3_zps8824447f.png

Do you have any better images?

Actually you are correct. I was looking at one of my "newer" pics of the silverdome, my notes where from the surface that was installed after the superbowl (in the late 80's) and BC "BS" (before Barry Sanders). Those are the accurate numbers!

I have really good pics of the playing surface that was the final one used (from 92 and before they moved to Ford Field). And that surface has no gaps in the numbers.

Numbers are good, I made a small change to the 4. Bengals wordmark was thinned by 10%, and I changed the footballs a small bit.

16_zps6c898ec6.png

I think (judging by Dave Dameshek's N'if'L series had Dallas beaten San Francisco [AKA 'The Catch' never happened]) Dallas would've beaten Cincinnati here in the Silverdome in Super Bowl XVI.

But, Dallas didn't win and The Catch spelled the end of the line for Dallas and they just began to limp through the rest of the decade before finally hitting rock bottom in 1989 finishing 1-15.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

But, Dallas didn't win and The Catch spelled the end of the line for Dallas and they just began to limp through the rest of the decade before finally hitting rock bottom in 1989 finishing 1-15.

I hope you don't mind, but I think this may have been the field had Dallas beaten San Francisco in Candlestick (I just plugged in their endzone markings from SB XIII, I don't think it would've changed much [if at all] 3 years later).

SBXVIWhat_If_Field.png

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I hope you don't mind, but I think this may have been the field had Dallas beaten San Francisco in Candlestick (I just plugged in their endzone markings from SB XIII, I don't think it would've changed much [if at all] 3 years later).

SBXVIWhat_If_Field.png

Looks good. One of the things I was thinking about doing after I got through all the fields was doing an alternate version for each with the teams that lost in the conference championships, since they're always interesting to look at.

Looks good. One of the things I was thinking about doing after I got through all the fields was doing an alternate version for each with the teams that lost in the conference championships, since they're always interesting to look at.

That's a good idea. Doing that would mean the first Super Bowl (AFL-NFL Championship Game) would've been an all-Texas affair between the Cowboys and Oilers (both lost their respective league championship games in 1967).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Wonder what logo they would have used for the browns in SB 3 and or 4 had Cleveland won the NFL championship game those season. I don't think they were really using "the brownie" (elf) at that point.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Wonder what logo they would have used for the browns in SB 3 and or 4 had Cleveland won the NFL championship game those season. I don't think they were really using "the brownie" (elf) at that point.

They probably would've just used this logo (used from 1970 to 1985):

2og6i7byir43vekj2eis.gif

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png