Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Super Bowl XLIX field using logoroy's logo

49_alt2_zpsbece9449.png

First Post

The day the Super Bowl matchup is Tampa Bay and Jacksonville will be when *insert obligatory 'hell freezing over' or 'pigs flying' metaphor*.

Anyway, this XLIX logo looks amazing and appropriate for the location of the game. But I feel as if for the shape of this XLIX logo, it's served best at the 50-yard-line with the two team's helmets at the 25/30, i.e. the Super Bowl field styles from 1997-2003.

• Like 1

Bears Jets? It would be really cool if Super Bowl 50 was Packers Chiefs.

Bears Jets because I already had made the endzones for the alternate Super Bowl XLV field. I'm just picking whatever teams and simple endzones for me to paste onto the fields.

Anyway, this XLIX logo looks amazing and appropriate for the location of the game. But I feel as if for the shape of this XLIX logo, it's served best at the 50-yard-line with the two team's helmets at the 25/30, i.e. the Super Bowl field styles from 1997-2003.

Agreed

49_alt3_zpsab04ecf7.png

• Like 1

On 10/9/2014 at 5:58 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

You know what I think could work? Having the team text scripts in gold in the endzone.

It sounds okay on paper, but I wonder how it'd work in practice.

I tried really hard to get gold in the endzones in so many different ways and it just does not work. The only way I can think of would be if everything on the field is gold and silver.

On 10/9/2014 at 7:12 PM, RayFinkle said:

Looks good! The field 'pops'.

Before Jax switched up to pretty much all black, I kinda always wanted to see a teal endzone for them.

At least for the alternate Super Bowl fields they would have used a teal endzone, and it looks quite nice.

Super Bowl 50 concept with classic helmets in the endzone.

50-alt2.thumb.png.2c4b8249cf64477db60bd1

I feel like this would be a way to combine the classic design of past fields with today. Have the modern logos at midfield and the modern conference logos, but pull out the old helmets. And of course add all the paint to the field around the numbers and yard lines. Also use the regional Super Bowl logos because they at least have more detail.

On a side note this regional logo bothers me a bit because the stadium isn't centered in the logo. I'm assuming its because they made the stadium part and the rest of the logo separate, and when they put them together they wanted the trophy to go right through the gap in the stadium. This put the stadium off center, but they didn't want to have to redo the entire stadium to fix the problem.

First Post

The trick with the helmet end zones is to not use the alternate color for the background. Like the Eagles for Super Bowl XV. The gray end zone makes it hard to see the out of bounds border. Really, the end zone should have been green. But then the helmets would blend in too much.

Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX used too small of a helmet to make them pop. Maybe because of the modern facemasks? I wouldn't think so.

I always thought in the more recent Super Bowls, that the Steelers should have had black instead of yellow.

iq5b7nF.png

The trick with the helmet end zones is to not use the alternate color for the background. Like the Eagles for Super Bowl XV. The gray end zone makes it hard to see the out of bounds border. Really, the end zone should have been green. But then the helmets would blend in too much.

Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX used too small of a helmet to make them pop. Maybe because of the modern facemasks? I wouldn't think so.

I always thought in the more recent Super Bowls, that the Steelers should have had black instead of yellow.

The problem with the helmet endzones occurs when you have a team with only two colors and a dark helmet, like the eagles back for Super Bowl XV. This really becomes a problem when the teams second color is white, like the Jets back when they had the green helmets, before they added black as a color. You end up with this problem, or the Eagles helmet in Super Bowl XXXIX.

Jets82_zps472095c6.png

This comes from the alternate Super Bowl XVII field.

As for the Steelers, the Pittsburgh gold looks much better I think.

Steelers_Black_zps152a3d1c.png

Wait, are you going to finish all the alternate SB fields before you upload them to this thread pittpack?

I only have I-VI left which I can get done by the end of today, and XIV, which will not be done because I can't find the Buccaneers wordmark from '79. It looks like its the same one they have used in recent years during throwback games in Tampa (before the stupid helmet rule). I just can't find a version I can clean up for the field. And I think I might start a new thread for the alternate fields, and keep this one just the actual fields.

BuccaneersEndZone_zps59095e34.jpg

This was created by user andycumbee19. Here is the thread for proof.

I think I've seen this thread a while back. But here is the 1970's wordmark I've been able to find. Definitely a variation of Times New Roman. I think above andycumbee19 used exactly that, but here is something from the 70's with the wordmark I just found.

12tampabay.JPG

The wordmark would obviously would have the same size for each letter, but there are just some very slight differences, that you can see in the "C" and "R" especially and the rest of the letters.

Super Bowl XXXVIII: February 1, 2004 - Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas

Carolina Panthers - 29 New England Patriots - 32

38_zps2aef3700.png

This Super Bowl to me fells like the beginning of the end for good looking fields. From this point on the fields begin to degrade, as the helmets go, then at least some interesting endzone designs go after Super Bowl XLI, then of course we get to Super Bowl XLV, which puts the fields on life support, and finally the field for Super Bowl XLVIII just kills it.

< Super Bowl XXXVII First Post Super Bowl XXXIX >

The Super Bowl logo for this was pretty cool, giving the whole space vibe since the Super Bowl was in Houston.

It's a shame the Astrodome never got a Super Bowl, because I think it could've supported at least one Super Bowl since it was, at one point deemed the "8th Wonder of the World".

Todd Radom did the logo for XXXVIII. That wasn't his first choice, though - and having seen one of the other concepts he did for it, I agree with him.

sb38.png

Super Bowl XXXVIII: February 1, 2004 - Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas

Carolina Panthers - 29 New England Patriots - 32

38_zps2aef3700.png

This Super Bowl to me fells like the beginning of the end for good looking fields. From this point on the fields begin to degrade, as the helmets go, then at least some interesting endzone designs go after Super Bowl XLI, then of course we get to Super Bowl XLV, which puts the fields on life support, and finally the field for Super Bowl XLVIII just kills it.

< Super Bowl XXXVII First Post Super Bowl XXXIX >

The Super Bowl logo for this was pretty cool, giving the whole space vibe since the Super Bowl was in Houston.

It's a shame the Astrodome never got a Super Bowl, because I think it could've supported at least one Super Bowl since it was, at one point deemed the "8th Wonder of the World".

... you know, I never really thought of that before. The Astrodome was around the first time Houston hosted.

Why was it at Rice?

Seating capacity. The NFL at the time had a very rigid requirement that a stadium hosting a Super Bowl seat at least 72,000. The Astrodome was nowhere near that number.

Cool, you go to Clarion. I went to Lock Haven. I remember when you beat us in football 69-0 (I think it was 1988 and I was working in the LHU Sports Information Office). That led to a food fight riot in the dining hall that night after the game.

I went to IUP. I remember when we beat both your asses on a regular basis. ;)

nav-logo.png

Cool, you go to Clarion. I went to Lock Haven. I remember when you beat us in football 69-0 (I think it was 1988 and I was working in the LHU Sports Information Office). That led to a food fight riot in the dining hall that night after the game.

I went to IUP. I remember when we beat both your asses on a regular basis. ;)

Nothings changed there. My high school team from my junior year would be able to play a competitive game with Clarion. We had three D1 athletes, and our starting running back ended up going to Clarion and would have been a four year starter if he didn't leave the team because of how bad the coaching was. We probably would have lost, but still would have been competitive.

Back to the fields, I tried to come up with some fields for the logos I made for Super Bowl L. I went out on a limb for these and may have went a little too far in some places, but here they are.

50_alt2_zps30bfaeca.png

50_alt3_zpse875794b.png

I tried to bring back the the Super Bowl XL conference logo design. Tried to incorporate some gold in there as well, but it just doesn't work.

First Post

i was thinking... since it'll be the 50th super bowl, why not go back to the sb1 field design...go complete throwback

50_alt4_zps49dbf83a.png

Here it is with some modifications, mostly field dimensions. The biggest problem with this design, although it is awesome, would be if the Browns, Colts, Jaguars, Ravens, or Steelers made it for the AFC since they have no AFL heritage, especially, the Steelers, Browns, and Colts because they were in the NFL at the time. But this field would be a modern classic if they were to actually do something right in the NFL.

First Post

I love it! Would be a real blast to see such a colorful field celebrating the 50th anniversary. But the N.F.L stands for No Fun League these days, as the corporate mentality will most likely prevent this beauty of a field to ever be used :-(

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png