Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Is Super Bowl XL the first time a team's city appeared in the end zone logo?

Yes, all the teams prior just had their team names in the endzones with no city/state name.

Also, this SB was a crock. Seattle should've never taken the damn field. Pittsburgh paid the refs off and Seattle got the pointy fork jammed straight up their butt.

At least Seattle was able to exorcise those demons 8 years later; but this was just unfair to Seattle.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Super Bowl XL: February 5, 2006 - Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan

Seattle Seahawks - 10 Pittsburgh Steelers - 21

40_zps8db16fc9.png

This was the first Super Bowl to be played on field turf.

This Super Bowl is what got me really interested in the Super Bowl fields, since this was the first Super Bowl I had seen with the Steelers. In the years after I would always be excited to see what the new Super Bowl logo would be, and imagine what the field would look like, and even draw up what I though the field would be. This is one of my favorite fields (with a lot of bias), but I always loved the enzone design around the conference logos.

< Super Bowl XXXIX First Post Super Bowl XLI >

Yea the field had a lot of synergy. The SB logo was a great homage to the host city. Though the game was full of contorversy. I dont think was the refs so much as the "ghost" of Jimmy Hoffa. I think his body was buried under the old JL Hudson's department store wharehouse that Ford Field was partialy constructed from! ;-)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Also, this SB was a crock. Seattle should've never taken the damn field. Pittsburgh paid the refs off and Seattle got the pointy fork jammed straight up their butt.

At least Seattle was able to exorcise those demons 8 years later; but this was just unfair to Seattle.

I would't say the Steelers paid off the refs, it was more of an NFL thing. There were definitely bad calls and some plays that should have just not been penalties, but the Steelers had nothing to do with it. If you look back to the divisional game between the Steelers and Colts, there were ridiculous calls and no calls going the Colts way all day, because the NFL needed its best player without a championship (Manning) to win one. After the Steelers won, the NFL's best story-line was Bettis retiring after winning the Super Bowl in his home town, so they went with that.

I honestly do not think any Super Bowl has been fixed, but a couple outcomes do seem too good to be true. The Patriots winning the first Super Bowl after 9/11. The Jerome Bettis homecoming and retirement party, and the Ray Lewis farewell with its seemingly contrived blackout all make me wonder if there isn't just a bit of the WWE in the NFL.

While I do not believe any outcome has been pre-determined, I do believe that the NFL has its favorite teams and Pittsburgh is at the top of the list. Pete Rozelle always seemed very cozy with the Rooneys and I think it exists to this day.

Super Bowl XL: February 5, 2006 - Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan

Seattle Seahawks - 10 Pittsburgh Steelers - 21

40_zps8db16fc9.png

This was the first Super Bowl to be played on field turf.

This Super Bowl is what got me really interested in the Super Bowl fields, since this was the first Super Bowl I had seen with the Steelers. In the years after I would always be excited to see what the new Super Bowl logo would be, and imagine what the field would look like, and even draw up what I though the field would be. This is one of my favorite fields (with a lot of bias), but I always loved the enzone design around the conference logos.

< Super Bowl XXXIX First Post Super Bowl XLI >

Yea the field had a lot of synergy. The SB logo was a great homage to the host city. Though the game was full of contorversy. I dont think was the refs so much as the "ghost" of Jimmy Hoffa. I think his body was buried under the old JL Hudson's department store wharehouse that Ford Field was partialy constructed from! ;-)

As much as I hate remembering this game, this is one of my favorite fields ever. The striping with the conference logo was really unique and cool

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Super Bowl XL On-field logos

Midfield

GCfwp8f.png

Super Bowl XL Logo

NtQFyJt.png

Endzones

Q2NNBFw.png

8aHlzRe.png

Teamboxes

8EnXtwp.png

k1wDTQV.png

This field and the logos felt very organized and well thought out for this game (unlike in recent years). The reds, whites, blues and silvers all remained consistent and the Steelers gold and Seahawks blue contrasted well.

Super Bowl XLI: February 4, 2007 - Dolphin Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida

Indianapolis Colts - 29         Chicago Bears - 17

04zLcxn.png

Super Bowl XLI field without team boxes

Spoiler

ZhSZe61.png

This was the last field where any yard lines were deliberately painted for the game. This field also had an interesting endzone design around the conference logo, and at this point it seemed like it would be a pattern to continue, but it never did. This field also had some good consistency, with the Colts blue being used in the Super Bowl, NFL, and NFC logos, while the same red was used in the Super Bowl, NFL and AFC logo. The team colors just seemed to work out for this game with the blue and orange from the Bears, and blue and white from the Colts matching with the blue orange and white dominate design of the Super Bowl logo.

< Super Bowl XL    First Post    Super Bowl XLII >

• Like 1

Super Bowl XLI: February 4, 2007 - Dolphin Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida

Indianapolis Colts - 29 Chicago Bears - 17

41_zps8d41d6da.png

This was the last field where any yard lines were deliberately painted for the game. This field also had an interesting endzone design around the conference logo, and at this point it seemed like it would be a pattern to continue, but it never did. This field also had some good consistency, with the Colts blue being used in the Super Bowl, NFL, and NFC logos, while the same red was used in the Super Bowl, NFL and AFC logo. The team colors just seemed to work out for this game with the blue and orange from the Bears, and blue and white from the Colts matching with the blue orange and white dominate design of the Super Bowl logo.

< Super Bowl XL First Post Super Bowl XLII >

Devin Hester returned the opening kickoff for a score in the only Super Bowl deluge ever. But, Chicago got all dried up as Peyton was precise and finally got his championship.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Super Bowl XLII: February 3, 2008 - University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona

New York Giants - 17         New England Patriots - 14

iVFhSIj.png

Super Bowl XLII field without team boxes:

Spoiler

Cm0Vc6E.png

< Super Bowl XLI    First Post    Super Bowl XLIII >

Super Bowl XLII: February 3, 2008 - University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona

New York Giants - 17 New England Patriots - 14

42_zpsc91ce2e2.png

< Super Bowl XLI First Post Super Bowl XLIII >

*glares* Super Bowl XLII...no further comment here.

*mutters under his breath* Freaking Eli Manning...you lucky s.o.b...

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

New York Giants - 17 New England Patriots - 14

42_zpsc91ce2e2.png

< Super Bowl XLI First Post Super Bowl XLIII >

*glares* Super Bowl XLII...no further comment here.

*mutters under his breath* Freaking Eli Manning...you lucky s.o.b...

Yea, I was watching that on the giant jumbotron the Host Committie set up for the voluntiers at the NFL Experence. And a lot of people went nuts with the "Helmet Catch!" One other thing was the Fox end of Quarter intros and outros. They were for the FOX program "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and everyone was cheeering for the Terminator over "Cleetus" The Fox Robot! I really wanted the Terminator to kick that Foxbot's butt! "Hasta La Vista...Cleetus!" ;-)

Yea, I was watching that on the giant jumbotron the Host Committie set up for the voluntiers at the NFL Experence. And a lot of people went nuts with the "Helmet Catch!" One other thing was the Fox end of Quarter intros and outros. They were for the FOX program "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and everyone was cheeering for the Terminator over "Cleetus" The Fox Robot! I really wanted the Terminator to kick that Foxbot's butt! "Hasta La Vista...Cleetus!" ;-)

I was really bitter because the 2007 Dallas Cowboys were probably the best Cowboys roster in my time that I can remember (not counting the 3 Super Bowl titles because I was still growing up at that time), and to lose to Eli Manning, with Romo throwing the ball blindly into triple coverage and Patrick Crayton dropping that sure pass when he was wide open. That was a tough loss to swallow; equally as bad as that 44-6 peppering at the hands of Philly a year later...from 2006 to 2010 was a hard, rough period for me.

Then, for the Giants to get lucky two more times...made me extremely pissed off and voila...Eli Manning gets put on the pedestal as my most hated player ever in the NFL. As such, I become giddy as a schoolboy whenever I see him play horribly, because karma is a b-tch.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I was really bitter because the 2007 Dallas Cowboys were probably the best Cowboys roster in my time that I can remember (not counting the 3 Super Bowl titles because I was still growing up at that time), and to lose to Eli Manning, with Romo throwing the ball blindly into triple coverage and Patrick Crayton dropping that sure pass when he was wide open. That was a tough loss to swallow; equally as bad as that 44-6 peppering at the hands of Philly a year later...from 2006 to 2010 was a hard, rough period for me.

Then, for the Giants to get lucky two more times...made me extremely pissed off and voila...Eli Manning gets put on the pedestal as my most hated player ever in the NFL. As such, I become giddy as a schoolboy whenever I see him play horribly, because karma is a b-tch.

Well Eli is really getting the Karma now. The Giants suck, Eli is sucking worse, and their is a "giant" sized black hole sucking all the light and life in the NY area! If a badly injured Cardnial team, and an out of control Lions team put the "Spanking" on the Giants, then its really getting worse there!

Well Eli is really getting the Karma now. The Giants suck, Eli is sucking worse, and their is a "giant" sized black hole sucking all the light and life in the NY area! If a badly injured Cardnial team, and an out of control Lions team put the "Spanking" on the Giants, then its really getting worse there!

It shows how far the NFC East has fallen; Philly had to overcome two slow starts, there's going to come a time where if they have a slow start, they're not going to come back from it.

RGIII can't stay healthy, Eli's throwing the ball haphazardly, and Romo is rusty as heck.

What was once perhaps the best division in the NFC is now the doormat for the entire conference...

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Super Bowl XLII on-field logos

Midfield

YKy0LMo.png

Super Bowl XLII Logo

dWfD7AD.png

Endzones

V7aKyOq.png

t7JY3fM.png

Teamboxes

ZDZH9FD.png

fY58Byx.png

I'm assuming the Patriots changed to this wordmark from the one used in their previous Super Bowl appearances because of their logo being in the endzone instead of a helmet or AFC/NFL logo. Also I'm going to assume the red outline was removed from the Giants wordmark for a similar reason, and I can't remember if the workmark used at Giants stadium also went without the red outline, but I think it was just the white wordmark and nothing else painted in the endzone.