Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

so was SB 45 the first super bowl to use the "team boxes" with logos?

No. I know for sure XXXVII had logos within a football with the same cross pattern as this years game. Super Bowl XXXVI had cross painted endzones with an American flag in a circle. Super Bowl XXXIV may have had painted team boxes as well.

Super Bowl XXXII was the first to paint the team boxes. I believe for that game, it was similar to the way they did it this year except there were no logos in the boxes, and the cross section lines were white.

Actually my bad, I just looked at a picture and it wasn't a criss-cross pattern, it was like a triangle pattern and the logos were present.

pcRivkV.jpg

Edited by logoroy

Super Bowl XLIX: February 1, 2015 - University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona

New England Patriots - 28         Seattle Seahawks - 24

aME6fuV.png

Super Bowl XLIX field without team boxes:

Spoiler

lf9Fmdw.png

Well that was a tough ending to watch. Final notes on the field; the grass surface looked great, especially in the beginning in the sunlight. The endzones were lighter than I had originally had them, and I was way off on the Super Bowl logo, but I've got it perfect now.

< Super Bowl XLVIII    First Post    Super Bowl 50 >

Your SB XLIX logos came out better than mine did (I'm going to update that!) ;) . And yes the actual surface looked great under the AZ sunshine. The last touch-ups, (a day prior to the game) had the colors slightly lighter than the orginal painting earlier in the week. It looked far better than the super dark Navy it first was painted.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

And as a Referee, (and general fan) I was wondering what in the name of all that was holy! Why a slant pattern on a 2nd and 1 on the One? Who came up with that call with 20 seconds left, 2 time outs in hand, and Beast Mode in the backfield?

Can anyone say Epic Fail?????????

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

And as a Referee, (and general fan) I was wondering what in the name of all that was holy! Why a slant pattern on a 2nd and 1 on the One? Who came up with that call with 20 seconds left, 2 time outs in hand, and Beast Mode in the backfield?

Exactly. I couldn't believe the formation when they came out, then a throw in traffic like that? If Seattle had scored that game would have overtaken Super Bowl XIII as the greatest Super Bowl ever for me, but that was still a top 5 Super Bowl so we can be happy for that.

Well the field didn't look as bad during the game. The blank space in the Patriots endzone wasn't as noticeable on TV because it was to the lower end of the screen. I'm excited for next years field since the Super Bowl logo will have some color other than just a grey scale, and the game will be played on the west coast in an open stadium, which means direct sunlight for the entire first half of the game. Hopefully there will be a good endzone match up like Packers-Ravens, or Cowboys-Steelers (Make it happen refs).

I cannot believe they did that. They had four down!!!! You get stopped on second down, you still have third and fourth!!! Not only the decision to throw, but to throw it right down the middle into double coverage to a receiver who isn't even open???? Crazy!!!! I'll never get over it. Half a yard away....

Yep, the natural grass made the field/logos look pretty good. Hate the SB fields with that field turf crap, the paint looks so washed out so quickly (Seahawks/Broncos, Ravens/49ers). What a novel concept....playing football outside on natural grass!!

Loved the big shield, and the SB logos look good too.

Loved the natural sunlight coming into the stadium too. Only issue for me was the endzones.

Hmmmm, interesting question above about why GB went from yellow to green endzones.

When I found this sight I was amazed that their were actually people out there as obsessed with field painting as me. Unless its my team in the Super Bowl (Cowboys) its the thing I get most excited about.

Not that the yellow with green Packers is a thing of beauty but the Green EZ on a green field just irritates me. Maybe some like it but to me it one of the ugliest.

Enzones that disappointed:

Green Packer EZ

Blue Bears EZ (I was so pumped for an Orange EZ like SBXX)

GIants (Their first 2 were Red)

What EZ's did yall like and dislike?

I just wanted to say, this is very awesome work!

I cannot imagine the amount of time and research (much less artwork) that must've gone into this effort, which was obviously a labor of love.

I thank you for this gift to all football fans!

• Like 1

Just curious: how would the field have looked if they used the regional Super Bowl logo?

I might have to fill that over in the alternate fields thread, and I've got a large to-do list over there, but I can get it done eventually.

When I found this sight I was amazed that their were actually people out there as obsessed with field painting as me. Unless its my team in the Super Bowl (Cowboys) its the thing I get most excited about.

Not that the yellow with green Packers is a thing of beauty but the Green EZ on a green field just irritates me. Maybe some like it but to me it one of the ugliest.

Enzones that disappointed:

Green Packer EZ

Blue Bears EZ (I was so pumped for an Orange EZ like SBXX)

GIants (Their first 2 were Red)

What EZ's did yall like and dislike?

Maybe I'm biased as a Steelers fan, but their 70's endzones with the grey facemasks are my favorite. Plus gold is a good match-up with just about any other enzone color.

I just wanted to say, this is very awesome work!

I cannot imagine the amount of time and research (much less artwork) that must've gone into this effort, which was obviously a labor of love.

I thank you for this gift to all football fans!

Thanks. It took me a decent amount of time, but the research was fun, and the final product turned out great I think. It also helped me posting the fields here so I could get help from other members here on the fields.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NFC (and originally, the NFL) is the home team in all odd-numbered Super Bowls.

Which means the AFC will be the home team in SB 50. My question is: how does the NFL decide which end zone to color for which team? I can't see a pattern (e.g., home team always gets left end zone) that holds for all Super Bowls.

Just curious if there is a rule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the NFC (and originally, the NFL) is the home team in all odd-numbered Super Bowls.

Which means the AFC will be the home team in SB 50. My question is: how does the NFL decide which end zone to color for which team? I can't see a pattern (e.g., home team always gets left end zone) that holds for all Super Bowls.

It used to be whichever color looks best. Now it's just whatever gets the job done fastest.

From Super Bowl's VII to XLV the home endzone always corresponded to the home sideline of the stadium. The problem occurred after Super Bowl XLV because the Cowboys home sideline is opposite of most stadiums, so the home endzone was moved to the opposite side. In Super Bowl XLVI they did the opposite of Super Bowl XLV and didn't base it on the sidelines, and they have been going opposite of the previous years endzones ever sense.