Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Yea, I remember this very vivdly. I had just gotten engaged to my wife, Cherry. And this was one of the first programs we watched as a couple. And she loved listening to Bono anyway! ;-)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

I think the patriots used their current navy blue in that super bowl

The blue used in the Patriots endzone was the same used in the Super Bowl logo, as well as the red and silver. You can definatly see the difference in blue between the jersey and pant stripe with the endzone. They only used their current navy blue in Super Bowls XXXVIII, XLII, and XLVI.

130124135348-36-super-bowl3-single-image

That Super Bowl was going to be the continuation of the new Rams dynasty....... or so we thought.

Til Tom Terrific and Adam "Automatic" Vinateri destroyed the Greatest Show on Turf Dynasty and instead crafted a Patriot Pat dynasty becoming the 2nd team ever to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years (1993, 1994 and 1996 Dallas Cowboys).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Here is an alternate version of the Super Bowl XXXVI field using the unused logo for the game. In this scenario, the NFL stuck with the original logo, and like in today's game, there is no such thing as the "tuck rule", which means Oakland beats New England, and goes to play Pittsburgh in the AFC championship. Everything stays the same in the NFC, and I had the Steelers beating the Raiders because the Raiders will be in Super Bowl XXXVII, and yes, because I'm a Steelers fan.

36-alt-full_zpsc476a8d9.png

Overall, I think the new logo they used in the game was much better than this, and the actual field was better than this one as well, but its always neat to see alternates.

Here is an alternate version of the Super Bowl XXXVI field using the unused logo for the game. In this scenario, the NFL stuck with the original logo, and like in today's game, there is no such thing as the "tuck rule", which means Oakland beats New England, and goes to play Pittsburgh in the AFC championship. Everything stays the same in the NFC, and I had the Steelers beating the Raiders because the Raiders will be in Super Bowl XXXVII, and yes, because I'm a Steelers fan.

36-alt-full_zpsc476a8d9.png

Overall, I think the new logo they used in the game was much better than this, and the actual field was better than this one as well, but its always neat to see alternates.

Pittsburgh's defense was okay, but I think they would've been stampeded by the Rams and The Greatest Show on Turf. New England got fairly lucky that they didn't get blown out and kept St. Louis in check.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I've been trying out some methods to give texture to the fields in paint, and this is where I'm at right now. I will do final color correction as well once I get the textures in. I just wanted some feedback to see if this looks good enough to start implementing once I finish up all the fields.

13_zps33063428.png

13-Midfield_zpsb8716c91.png

That Super Bowl was going to be the continuation of the new Rams dynasty....... or so we thought.

Til Tom Terrific and Adam "Automatic" Vinateri destroyed the Greatest Show on Turf Dynasty and instead crafted a Patriot Pat dynasty becoming the 2nd team ever to win 3 Super Bowls in 4 years (1993, 1994 and 1996 Dallas Cowboys).

Like the 90's Cowboys, I don't consider a team that only wins three Super Bowls a dynasty. A nice run, but not a dynasty.

The Pats were closer than Dallas to being one, though. They went to two more Super Bowls after they won their three, but lost. Dallas never went back again.

As for the Rams, what hurt them was that loss, and poor draft day decisions. Trung Canidate? Robert Thomas? Jimmy Kennedy? WTF?

The Rams and Ravens should have been the dominant teams of the 00's, but Baltimore couldn't get a QB, and the Rams had too many beer kegs and crack in the war room on draft day.

I've been trying out some methods to give texture to the fields in paint, and this is where I'm at right now. I will do final color correction as well once I get the textures in. I just wanted some feedback to see if this looks good enough to start implementing once I finish up all the fields.

13_zps33063428.png

13-Midfield_zpsb8716c91.png

Texture looks great for the grass fields. The fieldturf and astroturfed fields will be a bit different!

Texture looks great for the grass fields. The fieldturf and astroturfed fields will be a bit different!

Yeah, I'm not sure how I will do those yet. I think Field Turf is more similar to grass, except it has the small rubber pellets. As for AstroTurf, it's more like carpet on concrete (I've played on it before and its not fun), so there are bit less variation in the shades.

Super Bowl XXXVII: January 26, 2003 - Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, California

Oakland Raiders - 21         Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 48

12sgqP1.png

Super Bowl XXXVII field without team boxes

Spoiler

ml0SaKm.png

< Super Bowl XXXVI    First Post    Super Bowl XXXVIII >

Super Bowl XXXVII: January 26, 2003 - Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, California

Oakland Raiders - 21 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 48

37_zps0de0cc3c.png

< Super Bowl XXXVI First Post Super Bowl XXXVIII >

Oakland got totally destroyed, although that may be because;

A) Bill Callahan purposefully threw the game, picked easily exploitable plays for Gruden to capitalize on it because they the two were chums.

B) Bill Callahan purposefully threw the game to get back at Al Davis for trading Gruden away for a draft pick to Tampa Bay.

C) Bill Callahan purposefully threw the game because he didn't like Al Davis and wanted him to suffer a humiliating defeat like he was going to.

And Oakland has gone through 18 different QBs since that time.

They're like a house on Trick or Treat night in your neighborhood; the lights were on, but no one was home.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Yeah, I'm not sure how I will do those yet. I think Field Turf is more similar to grass, except it has the small rubber pellets. As for AstroTurf, it's more like carpet on concrete (I've played on it before and its not fun), so there are bit less variation in the shades.

Agreed, having umpired on both surfaces. Astroturf is one hard as a rock surface. Field turf is a superior product. For the Astroturf, I would leve the fields as they are solid colors, no texture, But field turf would be 1/2 the texture of a grass field. Trust the guy who trows the flags! ;-)

Edited by SFCOM1

Hard to believe that California will go from 2003 to 2016 without hosting a Super Bowl. Well I guess it isn't too hard given the paucity of modern stadia and the lack of a team in LA. Florida as well will go from 2010 until at least 2019. That's a far cry for those who grew up on what was basically a LA/Pasadena, Miami, New Orleans rotation.

^^^^ It will be nice to see a Super Bowl in the California sunshine again. Well, for the first half anyways.

I totally thought the Buccaneers were going to get pewter end zones and red lettering. The red/black combination made it hard to read.

iq5b7nF.png