Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Super Bowl XXX: January 28, 1996 - Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, Arizona

Dallas Cowboys - 27         Pittsburgh Steelers - 17

4uzBcGq.png

Super Bowl XXX field without team boxes

Spoiler

yE7LAZp.png

I've got Super Bowl XXX on VHS (it was painful to watch) so I was able to prefect the helmets.

< Super Bowl XXIX    First Post    Super Bowl XXXI >

Super Bowl XXX: January 28, 1996. Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, Arizona

Dallas Cowboys - 27 Pittsburgh Steelers - 17

30_zps644099cd.png

I've got Super Bowl XXX on VHS (it was painful to watch) so I was able to perfect the helmets.

Awesome, looks just like the field at Sun Devil Stadium! ;-)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

30_zps644099cd.png

I've got Super Bowl XXX on VHS (it was painful to watch) so I was able to perfect the helmets.

Neil O'Donnell threw the ball right to Larry Brown, not once; but twice.

Ugh, to know now this was Dallas's latest Super Bowl it frustrates me to no end. I was not even 4 years old when Dallas won Super Bowl XXX. My dad has the 3 Super Bowl wins in the 90s for Dallas on VHS, but yeah. I was too young to remember any of Dallas's Super Bowl wins in the early 90s.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

30_zps644099cd.png

Neil O'Donnell threw the ball right to Larry Brown, not once; but twice.

Ugh, to know now this was Dallas's latest Super Bowl it frustrates me to no end. I was not even 4 years old when Dallas won Super Bowl XXX. My dad has the 3 Super Bowl wins in the 90s for Dallas on VHS, but yeah. I was too young to remember any of Dallas's Super Bowl wins in the early 90s.

Its not easy to see your favorite team not make it to a championship. I was fortunate to see both the Detroit Tigers, and Red Wings win (and with the Wings many times) I saw my Second Favorite NFL team, the Arizona Cardinals get to SB XLIII and if it was not for a frantic last minute drive by "Big Ben". But that is for "What if's" and other paltitudes. But my Favorite NFL team (Lions) have never been to the Super Bowl, and most likely never will. Closest was back in 91-92 when Barry Sanders was at the peak of his prowess. Be happy you have the tapes and can go back and see your team in greatness. As for long suffering Lions fans. That is something they might never have. Just food for thought! ;-)

Corrected for correct SB the Cardinals palyed in, Thats what I get for working on my SB XLII and SB XLIX template! ;-)

Edited by SFCOM1

I can't believe old school double-bar facemasks lasted until the year 1995 in Super Bowl field designs! Since the Super Bowl is the NFL's biggest stage you'd think they would have made sure to use more common / modern facemasks before then. I mean, the double-bar facemask became rare for non-kickers and punters in the late 70's and early 80's. The only non-kicker I can think of who wore it when no one else did was Dolphins WR Mark Duper.

When I first looked at the field design for Super Bowl 29 I assumed the double-bar facemasks were used as a throwback reference since 1994 was the 75th anniversary of the league and all the teams wore throwback uniforms. But I was wrong, the league had just always used the double-bar design! Wow!

One more thing: the more modern facemasks that first appeared in the field design of Super Bowl XXX: the way they appear in your rendering, is that how they really looked on TV and in real life? There's just something odd about them in your drawing. I'm not dissing your drawing or anything, I'm just pointing out that they look unusual. If it is accurate to how they looked in real life / on TV I'm just curious why they look odd and not like any facemasks I've ever seen on a real football helmet.

I can't believe old school double-bar facemasks lasted until the year 1995 in Super Bowl field designs! Since the Super Bowl is the NFL's biggest stage you'd think they would have made sure to use more common / modern facemasks before then. I mean, the double-bar facemask became rare for non-kickers and punters in the late 70's and early 80's. The only non-kicker I can think of who wore it when no one else did was Dolphins WR Mark Duper.

When I first looked at the field design for Super Bowl 29 I assumed the double-bar facemasks were used as a throwback reference since 1994 was the 75th anniversary of the league and all the teams wore throwback uniforms. But I was wrong, the league had just always used the double-bar design! Wow!

One more thing: the more modern facemasks that first appeared in the field design of Super Bowl XXX: the way they appear in your rendering, is that how they really looked on TV and in real life? There's just something odd about them in your drawing. I'm not dissing your drawing or anything, I'm just pointing out that they look unusual. If it is accurate to how they looked in real life / on TV I'm just curious why they look odd and not like any facemasks I've ever seen on a real football helmet.

i can answer this one question myself. I am a resident of Phoenix, and have volunteered at both SB XXX and XLII, and will do so again at SB XLIX. The design was the first to use the "Modern" facemasks, and it was right about then the "official" helmet logos transistioned from the "2 bar" to the "Cage" mask. This one design only showed up in this Super Bowl as in SB XXXI and beyond the helmets where on the field area, or completely changed in size altogether. And from SBXL no longer present on the field at all!

• Like 1

I will agree they do look awkward and not like any helmet logo you see anywhere else, but that's how they where on the field for what ever reason, and it was a real pain to replicate. I think the main reason they look so odd is the width of the bars and the proportions to the helmet. From my guess the used the same outline for the shell as in the older games, and came up with a way to do the bar, instead of a whole new template for the modern helmets.

I am currently working on Super Bowl XXXI. There are a lot of changes for this one. Mostly I'm working on another helmet template since this one also had unique designs.

31_helmet2_zps455001fd.png

This is what I have for a template so far.

zdef-new2_zpsabf03fa5.png

I have also added some navigation at the bottom of the posts for each field to make it easier to go through all of them.

Super Bowl XXXI: January 26, 1997 - Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, Louisiana

New England Patriots - 21         Green Bay Packers - 35

Hrwh1Js.png

I didn't intend for this one to take so long, but I had to make clean and accurate versions of the helmets, Super Bowl logo, both wordmarks, and the AFC logo. It seems for XXXII I have to redo the helmets again, because again they are completely different.

< Super Bowl XXX    First Post    Super Bowl XXXII >

SP_NFL_018_LG.jpg

This image makes me feel my AFC logo is a bit too wide, so I might scale it a bit smaller and make some edits to bring the width in without affecting the height. I might need some opinions on this, or some good images/video, because this is the best I can find at the moment.

SP_NFL_018_LG.jpg

This image makes me feel my AFC logo is a bit too wide, so I might scale it a bit smaller and make some edits to bring the width in without affecting the height. I might need some opinions on this, or some good images/video, because this is the best I can find at the moment.

It looks a little too wide yes, but this image is curved a bit so it's kind of hard to tell.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

It looks a little too wide yes, but this image is curved a bit so it's kind of hard to tell.

Looks like I just need to bring it in so it ends about half way into the numbers, and I think I'll thin the "A" a bit, and the stars can be moved closer to the "A" as well

SP_NFL_018_LG.jpg

Dont worry, the size you used will fit perfectly for 32 & 33. Its always bugged me the way they butted that logo ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST the Broncos wordmark

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I don't know why the NFL changed the design of the Super Bowl field, the helmets in the end zones were classic! But putting them on the field was not. I really hate it when they change tradition. This was the 1st Super Bowl played after the death of former commissioner Pete Rozelle and I wonder if the change in design had anything to do with it.

• Like 1