Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Hard to believe that California will go from 2003 to 2016 without hosting a Super Bowl. Well I guess it isn't too hard given the paucity of modern stadia and the lack of a team in LA. Florida as well will go from 2010 until at least 2019. That's a far cry for those who grew up on what was basically a LA/Pasadena, Miami, New Orleans rotation.

Well with the new SF stadium (Levi's Stadium) It looks like all the newer stadiums are in the mix. (Phoenix/ Glendale, SF area, Houston, Jerry World/Dallas, Ford Field in Detroit, Superdome/ New Orleans, Indy, and now the new Vikings field), If that is the case older stadiums like San Diego, Miami, and Tampa, might get left out....Unless major renovations are made. Even in Phoenix, they are begining some renovations to keep the stadium up to "Super Bowl" standards! (i.e. Better management in the Glendale area so other games can be hosted in the future!)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Agreed, having umpired on both surfaces. Astroturf is one hard as a rock surface. Field turf is a superior product. For the Astroturf, I would leve the fields as they are solid colors, no texture, But field turf would be 1/2 the texture of a grass field. Trust the guy who trows the flags! ;-)

I was thinking the same for the Field Turf being 1/2 the texture of grass, plus it will look different from grass with the darker color. After watching the Steelers @ Ravens last night and looking over some good pictures of the field I have from when I played at M&T Bank stadium, that seems to be the best way to go. As for the Astro Turf, I was debating on keeping them as is, but as you can see form this picture of SB XXXI, the color isn't completely consistent across the entire field, there are just very small changes throughout.

And you can see why Astro Turf was so awful to play on by looking at the horrendous turf burn on Todd Rucci's (#71) elbow. Those things last for weeks.

121510_XXXI.jpg

Agreed, having umpired on both surfaces. Astroturf is one hard as a rock surface. Field turf is a superior product. For the Astroturf, I would leve the fields as they are solid colors, no texture, But field turf would be 1/2 the texture of a grass field. Trust the guy who trows the flags! ;-)

I was thinking the same for the Field Turf being 1/2 the texture of grass, plus it will look different from grass with the darker color. After watching the Steelers @ Ravens last night and looking over some good pictures of the field I have from when I played at M&T Bank stadium, that seems to be the best way to go. As for the Astro Turf, I was debating on keeping them as is, but as you can see form this picture of SB XXXI, the color isn't completely consistent across the entire field, there are just very small changes throughout.

And you can see why Astro Turf was so awful to play on by looking at the horrendous turf burn on Todd Rucci's (#71) elbow. Those things last for weeks.

121510_XXXI.jpg

Yea. It was essentialy a very rough rug on hard, un-yelding cement. So it gave very bad rug burns. And depending on the solvents and cleaning products to clean that "rug" it would mke other ares on the field looing slightly discolored!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Super Bowl XXXVIII: February 1, 2004 - Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas

Carolina Panthers - 29         New England Patriots - 32

zw17fw2.png

Super Bowl XXXVIII field without team boxes

Spoiler

dEln8ni.png

This Super Bowl to me fells like the beginning of the end for good looking fields. From this point on the fields begin to degrade, as the helmets go, then at least some interesting endzone designs go after Super Bowl XLI, then of course we get to Super Bowl XLV, which puts the fields on life support, and finally the field for Super Bowl XLVIII just kills it.

< Super Bowl XXXVII    First Post    Super Bowl XXXIX >

Carolina Panthers - 29 New England Patriots - 32

38_zps2aef3700.png

This Super Bowl to me fells like the beginning of the end for good looking fields. From this point on the fields begin to degrade, as the helmets go, then at least some interesting endzone designs go after Super Bowl XLI, then of course we get to Super Bowl XLV, which puts the fields on life support, and finally the field for Super Bowl XLVIII just kills it.

< Super Bowl XXXVII First Post Super Bowl XXXIX >

The Super Bowl logo for this was pretty cool, giving the whole space vibe since the Super Bowl was in Houston.

It's a shame the Astrodome never got a Super Bowl, because I think it could've supported at least one Super Bowl since it was, at one point deemed the "8th Wonder of the World".

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Carolina Panthers - 29 New England Patriots - 32

38_zps2aef3700.png

< Super Bowl XXXVII First Post Super Bowl XXXIX >

The Super Bowl logo for this was pretty cool, giving the whole space vibe since the Super Bowl was in Houston.

It's a shame the Astrodome never got a Super Bowl, because I think it could've supported at least one Super Bowl since it was, at one point deemed the "8th Wonder of the World".

... you know, I never really thought of that before. The Astrodome was around the first time Houston hosted.

Why was it at Rice?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

... you know, I never really thought of that before. The Astrodome was around the first time Houston hosted.

Why was it at Rice?

At the time the Astrodome held about 55,000 people and rice was something around 72,000 people.

At the time the Astrodome held about 55,000 people and rice was something around 72,000 people.

Astrodome was created in 1965, and the first Super Bowl was in 1968. I think Super Bowl IX could've been in the Astrodome instead of Tulane Stadium though since wasn't that a nasty cold Super Bowl? I think the score would've been higher then 16-6....

I know, they picked Tulane Stadium since it wasn't too far away from the Superdome construction area...

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Astrodome was created in 1965, and the first Super Bowl was in 1968. I think Super Bowl IX could've been in the Astrodome instead of Tulane Stadium though since wasn't that a nasty cold Super Bowl? I think the score would've been higher then 16-6....

I know, they picked Tulane Stadium since it wasn't too far away from the Superdome construction area...

Super Bowl IX was supposed to be in the Superdome, but construction was still incomplete, so they went to Tulane. As for a higher score, I don't think Minnesota would have done much better against the Steel Curtain then they had that day. Maybe the Vikings would have got 18 rushing yards instead of 17, but that's about it.

Super Bowl XXXIX: February 6, 2005 - Alltel Stadium, Jacksonville, Florida

New England Patriots - 24         Philadelphia Eagles - 21

4GfuYIw.png

Super Bowl XXXIX field without team boxes

Spoiler

WTT6WJG.png

< Super Bowl XXXVIII    First Post    Super Bowl XL >

Super Bowl XL: February 5, 2006 - Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan

Seattle Seahawks - 10         Pittsburgh Steelers - 21

RQWmNd6.png

Super Bowl XL field without team boxes

Spoiler

kFakz6j.png

This was the first Super Bowl to be played on field turf.

This Super Bowl is what got me really interested in the Super Bowl fields, since this was the first Super Bowl I had seen with the Steelers. In the years after I would always be excited to see what the new Super Bowl logo would be, and imagine what the field would look like, and even draw up what I though the field would be. This is one of my favorite fields (with a lot of bias), but I always loved the enzone design around the conference logos.

< Super Bowl XXXIX    First Post    Super Bowl XLI >

• Like 1