Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

pitt6pack

great job on the fields, have enjoyed seeing all of them. great attention to small details and all. ever thought of doing the 3 USFL championship games? the games are on youtube. the field art were pretty basic but in case you are looking for another field project.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I also made other changes to the Super Bowl XIV field, including a completely different number font.

SG0AOXN.png

Yea, seems like the number fonts at the Rose Bowl where always a bit different than most other stadiums for some reason or another!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

pitt6pack

great job on the fields, have enjoyed seeing all of them. great attention to small details and all. ever thought of doing the 3 USFL championship games? the games are on youtube. the field art were pretty basic but in case you are looking for another field project.

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed the series. At this point I'm pretty much done with fields for now. I'll continue to update these fields and I will probably add texture in the future, and I'll finish my current NFL fields project, but that's about it. When I joined this site it was to post some of my fictional football league concepts, but that hasn't worked out yet since I can't make logos. The USFL championship fields is a good idea though, and maybe I"ll do it in the future because there are only a few fields. For now though I'm busy working on a website for a simulated football league, and working on my fictional teams.

I also made other changes to the Super Bowl XIV field, including a completely different number font.

SG0AOXN.png

Yea, seems like the number fonts at the Rose Bowl where always a bit different than most other stadiums for some reason or another!

The number font they have now is great (same as the Super Bowl IV numbers), and it would be nice to see a Super Bowl there again (although that's doubtful) because the Rose Bowl games always have the best looking fields of any bowl game. I've even thought about a series of Rose Bowl fields, but I've got so many other projects I want to work on.

I've made an update to the numbers on the Super Bowl XXXI field, and made the changes in that post. Nothing major, just removed the black outline (don't know why I had that), thinned the numbers a bit, and moved the directional arrows closer to and lower on the numbers.

Super Bowl XXX Update

sty2Lu1.png

It turns out they painted the team boxes for Super Bowl XXX as well. I had to change the numbers on this field, I added a dark patch along the sidelines, and I had to make the Cowboys wordmark taller and wider.

Official Super Bowl XXX field post

I love the field cutout for Sun Devil Stadium. It was a couple of years earlier that ASU lowered the field for hosting Super Bowl XXX. Of course Sun Devil is going to look a lot different as it is undergoing a complete refit and reduction of seats (in it role now as a college stadium, and minor bowl game stadium) it did not need to hold 70K+ it should do well at 50K where they project the final seating will be after all the upgrades!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Super Bowl XXX Update

sty2Lu1.png

It turns out they painted the team boxes for Super Bowl XXX as well. I had to change the numbers on this field, I added a dark patch along the sidelines, and I had to make the Cowboys wordmark taller and wider.

Official Super Bowl XXX field post

That is a beaut of a field. Dallas v. Pittsburgh is right up there in terms of best uniform matchups in a championship game in professional sports.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

I love the field cutout for Sun Devil Stadium. It was a couple of years earlier that ASU lowered the field for hosting Super Bowl XXX. Of course Sun Devil is going to look a lot different as it is undergoing a complete refit and reduction of seats (in it role now as a college stadium, and minor bowl game stadium) it did not need to hold 70K+ it should do well at 50K where they project the final seating will be after all the upgrades!

I saw a lot of the renovation designs when looking up the Super Bowl field, and the renovations look great, especially for a college stadium.They did a really nice job with the field, and Arizona hasn't hosted a bad Super Bowl yet.

That is a beaut of a field. Dallas v. Pittsburgh is right up there in terms of best uniform matchups in a championship game in professional sports.

Definitely one of the best, and not a bad game between them. XIII is up there with the best Super Bowl games ever. Uni matchup classic as well. It would be nice to see a Dallas-Pittsburgh Super Bowl 50.

I made some updates to Super Bowl XXIX as well. Most notably the helmets and 49ers wordmark.

Definitely one of the best, and not a bad game between them. XIII is up there with the best Super Bowl games ever. Uni matchup classic as well. It would be nice to see a Dallas-Pittsburgh Super Bowl 50.

LOL, it probably will happen. They met in Super Bowl X (10) and XXX (30); the odd numbered "10" Super Bowls. They'll meet in Super Bowl 50 (L) judging by these two previous times.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• 2 weeks later...

I made some major changes to the Super Bowl XXV field that I felt were worth posting. Instead of trying to describe all of them here is a before and after. With some clearly visible changes.

Before

25_zps81feb614.png

After

zs6EPq2.png

I made some changes to other fields as well, which were mostly wordmarks.

Super Bowl XXVII & XXVIII I changed the Cowboys wordmark the same as in XXX.

Before

Cowboys_27_zps11b86573.png

After

Cowboys_27_zpssb6mqjyv.png

Super Bowl XXVI I changed the Redskins wordmark.

Before

Redskins_26_zps123e452d.png

After

Redskins_26_zpsjwrrp42x.png

I've made other smaller changes to those fields as well, and the helmets and numbers on all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Super Bowl XIII Changes

Recently NFL.com has had a bracket for the best game ever, Super Bowl XIII included. So I was able to get a really good and clear video from there, leading to a number of changes.

To list all the changes I'm just going to do some before and after comparisons (bottom picture is the after)

bvLloS4.png

rDWsTUY.png

Changes:

1: Blue - I went from 1 shade of blue to 3. Cowboys endzone and the star in the steelers logo is the darkest, any blue outside the endzones is a lighter shade of blue, which is also the same blue in the NFC logo, and a light shade of blue in the stars of the AFC logo.

2: Silver - gave it a more greenish tint. looked that way on the field because of rain earlier in the day (just my guess). I also matched the silver to be the same shade everywhere on the field.

3: Helmets - converted them to the new template. Also I added a red outline for the NFC logo and a thin white outline for the stars in the AFC logo.

4: Numbers - completely redone

5: Cowboys wordmark - taller

6: PAT lines - slightly changed the outline to have paint on the top and bottom of the line

I figured that was enough changes to be worthy of a post.

A bit off topic, today happens to be the one year anniversary of me joining the community here, and I'm just glad a site like this exists where there are other people who enjoy discussing sports design as I do. It's been great to be able to share this, and my other projects here where people can appreciate what I've done, and where I can help add to all the other great work in the concepts forum.

Official Super Bowl XIII field post

• 4 weeks later...

there is a youtube video title

superbowl xxvi 1991 by Alyssa wheeler

at approx. 11 minute mark (unable to post links)

The Bills endzone a portion of the boarder outside of the white line is the fake dirt of the metrodome

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

there is a youtube video title

superbowl xxvi 1991 by Alyssa wheeler

at approx. 11 minute mark (unable to post links)

The Bills endzone a portion of the boarder outside of the white line is the fake dirt of the metrodome

Thanks, got it fixed. I checked the Redskins side also, but the dirt was too far back. In the later years of the metro dome the field was actually 6 feet further right, so the entire back of the right endzone had the dirt border, and no dirt bordering the left endzone.

OyOIEsq.png

If anyone is going through earlier fields in this thread, I took a lot of the fields down from XX on back because I am re-doing them all. The only reason I deleted them is because I had to many images on Photobucket and Imgur (which totals 4 accounts).

• Like 1

I've been working on getting textures into the field for a long time now, and I finally got it down. From the full view of the field it isn't that apparent, as you would expect to see in reality if you were looking at the field from that distance. The detail is more notable from a much closer view, as below (viewed at 100%).

txtexample_zpsc6nbs13u.png

Adding texture is also where I will be matching colors as close as I can get them, as I said I would do when I started this project.

Here is a before and after for comparison.

QDG70vR.png

ps7ZrpA.png

I will continue to finish fixing up the older fields, then go back through and make sure I have all 49 fields 100% correct before adding texture to all the fields, because this is a very time consuming process given the tools I have.

Super Bowl XLIX Full Post

• Like 1

Holy crap that looks amazing. That is like night and day. It's the same as when you began adding the sideline boxes and stadium footprints. It's just far more immersive now.

Thanks. Hopefully I'm closing in on the end of editing these fields and texture is a hard thing to nail down, which I'm sure you know from trying to put fields together yourself.

Speaking of, I'm looking for some feedback on the texture itself. Specifically, how is the scale? the look? or anything else you all can think of.

Here is natural grass at 100% (how I see it without zooming out). The goal with the natural grass was to be as organic as I could make it, with more color veriety, but also some patches with the same color.

txtexample_zpsc6nbs13u.png

And old style astro turf at 100%. The goal with the astro turf was to get the carpet feel to it and have a more random and smaller pattern, as you would have from machine placed "grass".

txtexampleart_zps252dnp43.png

More examples of the texture can be seen HERE and HERE.

I just want to have the textures perfect before I start implementing them on all the fields.

Looks phenomenal! You've done some great work in this thread! One critique I have of the XLIX field is that it should be a bit brighter. In the game, it was a really bright and strong green.

Hard thing with color matching is a picture taken in the same place at the same time can look completely different for a large number of reasons, but I tried saturating the green a bit more as well as the blue in the endzones.

Before

tEDCjyC.png

After

7x1iUvS.png

Better or worse or other opinions? I'm also working on increasing the contrast in the white, but its not been working out so far. Another thing I might do is when I get home from school, take some pictures of the grass in my backyard and put them all together to get a more organic texture.

I changed up the resolution of the texture on the astro-turf field, and also lightened the color of the turf

Before

txtexampleart_zps252dnp43.png

After

txtexampleart_zpslwc0z5wp.png

And the field

Before

Z8uMmnf.png

After

vjp9see.png

I'm still looking for some feedback on the textures