Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

4 hours ago, DJB said:

Great questions. I’m really going to focus on the endzones and the colors/designs and get as much as I can from that. The absence of the helmets and conference logos are on the forefront. 

I like the question of the throwback field, and I will ask if there is anything special in the works since next year is the NFL’s 100th Anniversary.

I will try to get some pics on here and if our network posts the interview, I will provide the link. Otherwise, I will just come back with some (hopefully good) answers to questions we’ve all wondered about.

Um can you also ask him about the disaster known as the ram/USC field a few months ago

• Like 1

Here's a good full view of the field:

DyBarh6WwAAFR0p.jpg

As I can tell, it looks like the blue in the Patriots endzeon is different from the blue in the Rams helmet (hard to tell though), and the blue in the NFL logo is a different color then the Rams endzone. So possibly 4 different blues on the field, but at least 3 if the Patriots endzone and the blue in the Rams helmet are the same color. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, pitt6pack said:

Finished more requests. This is all I plan on doing today though

8EkWyRg.png

409zRnA.png

F2TjME3.png

WWI4tHG.png

O9Gho8K.png

C9bA6o7.png

CdOT9uD.png

qOcnMkg.png

5IyC2MO.png

Jh0FVqW.png

aqljAay.png

Great work here.  My one piece of feedback is that the Eagles' end zone was gray for Super Bowl XV and though I can't stand the Eagles, it looked sharp.  Cool to see others follow this stuff. 

When two teams are the same base color, they should use the secondary color for the designated road team.  Even though it was for different reasons, I'm thinking about XXV where the Giants end zone was red and the Bills had a blue one. 

P.S. I'd love to see a gray Patriots background with blue lettering in the style of XLII thru XLIX

Edited by fwiper
Additional comments on LIII

2 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

Here's a good full view of the field:

DyBarh6WwAAFR0p.jpg

As I can tell, it looks like the blue in the Patriots endzeon is different from the blue in the Rams helmet (hard to tell though), and the blue in the NFL logo is a different color then the Rams endzone. So possibly 4 different blues on the field, but at least 3 if the Patriots endzone and the blue in the Rams helmet are the same color. 

I hate using extremely negative  statements, but this has to be my least favorite SB field and it's not really close.  Granted, it's not as bad as it could be.  The shade of blue and yellow lettering on the Rams side is a welcome touch, but it is just so aesthetically bland.  Nothing catches the eye.  There's just nothing going on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RayFinkle said:

Wow the spacing in the Rams endzone is brutal looking. As bad as it was for the Eagles last year.

Also, the Patriots wordmark looks so close to the top of the endzone. 

No helmets anywhere.  This field stinks.  At least its not the navy and white Rams logo, thats the one saving grace

• Like 1

90758391980.gif

Well, I got some answers today and unfortunately our hopes of spiced up endzones are all in the hands of the NFL. Asked Ed Mangan a bunch of questions, some on mic and some off mic. Honestly, the interview isnt worth posting because all of the design factors are in the hands of the NFL. He told me that the NFL creative department develops the look of the endzones and runs it by the teams for their approval. The teams may make minor adjustments, but they basically are all on the same page.

As for the helmets and conference logos, again, an NFL creative decision.

He gave me insight on how this field was developed and compared it to last year. This year, he said they scrubbed the entire field after the Peach Bowl and started new.  This makes sense from last year, where they really couldn’t scrub the field considering the Vikings were still playing in mid-January. So, that’s why the Vikings yard-line numbers stayed on the field for Super Bowl LIII.

As for a special field next year, he said it’s in the hands of the NFL. Which would also give us the answer on a potential throwback field.

I will add more when i get a chance. Feel free to ask any questions that I may have forgotten to address.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

Well, I got some answers today and unfortunately our hopes of spiced up endzones are all in the hands of the NFL. Asked Ed Mangan a bunch of questions, some on mic and some off mic. Honestly, the interview isnt worth posting because all of the design factors are in the hands of the NFL. He told me that the NFL creative department develops the look of the endzones and runs it by the teams for their approval. The teams may make minor adjustments, but they basically are all on the same page.

As for the helmets and conference logos, again, an NFL creative decision.

He gave me insight on how this field was developed and compared it to last year. This year, he said they scrubbed the entire field after the Peach Bowl and started new.  This makes sense from last year, where they really couldn’t scrub the field considering the Vikings were still playing in mid-January. So, that’s why the Vikings yard-line numbers stayed on the field for Super Bowl LIII.

As for a special field next year, he said it’s in the hands of the NFL. Which would also give us the answer on a potential throwback field.

I will add more when i get a chance. Feel free to ask any questions that I may have forgotten to address.

Thank you DJB for getting info straight from the top. Very interesting stuff and I think we all would love to hear more (although sounds like he didn't give you the answers we would have liked to hear). My take away from this is....If this is the best the NFL creative department can do to develop and submit for approval by NFL teams, for their Championship game, I think it's time to go in a different direction, because this is embarrassing for a billion dollar organization. As the big bad NFL, how can you look at SB fields of the past and think these recent efforts are acceptable? I will say, this years field is an improvement over the past 3 (same spaced end zone woodworks for both teams), but still a ways to go...

• Like 3

One other thing on the endzone design. Ed did say the designs by NFL creative are close to what the team uses during the season. That actually would explain a theory that I thought was the case in Super Bowl XLVIII (48) and XLIX (49.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DJB said:

One other thing on the endzone design. Ed did say the designs by NFL creative are close to what the team uses during the season. That actually would explain a theory that I thought was the case in Super Bowl XLVIII (48) and XLIX (49.)

You mean with the Seahawks End Zone causing the Messed-Up Conference Logo sides?

da0Lbhs.png

That’s what it sounds like!  That’s what the College Football Playoff does and the Power 5 conference championship games.  Takes the end zone design of each team’s home field and replicates it.  Stupid and non-creative.  Only time you get something different is when a team has no end zone design like Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl or Pitt in the ACC Championship.  Team owners don’t give a crap about the field and will approve just about anything.  They should have no say.

Let’s just cut to the chase.  Super Bowl end zones should be dueling helmets with the background color the opposite team color of the helmet.  Team word mark in between.  Team helmet on the left and helmet with conference logo on it on the right.  NFC logo should be a lighter shade of blue than the NFL logo.  I’d be OK with a large conference logo replacing the right helmet as a compromise to get the rest of this.

Each Super Bowl logo should be unique and different and designed by the host committee.  Placed at the 35 yard lines so that the ball is placed on top of them for kickoffs.

the 20s and the conversion hash marks as well as the yard line numerals  (G, 10, 20, 30, 40) should be outlined/highlighted in respective team colors.  50 yard line is outlined in red and blue as are the “50”s.

NFL logo sits perfectly between the 45s and while we’re at it the font of the “N” “F” “L” should go back to the previous version of the font pre-2008.  Ok to keep the 4 stars though.

Done.  I’ll supervise this all for free as well!

side note—I think the classic Jets end zone, should they have made it to Super Bowl XVII, would have been white background with a black outline to mark the goal line and out of bounds.  I know there’s now some rule against white end zones but the league used to be so consistent that I think this is what would have been done.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, genius said:

That’s what it sounds like!  That’s what the College Football Playoff does and the Power 5 conference championship games.  Takes the end zone design of each team’s home field and replicates it.  Stupid and non-creative.  Only time you get something different is when a team has no end zone design like Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl or Pitt in the ACC Championship.  Team owners don’t give a crap about the field and will approve just about anything.  They should have no say.

Let’s just cut to the chase.  Super Bowl end zones should be dueling helmets with the background color the opposite team color of the helmet.  Team word mark in between.  Team helmet on the left and helmet with conference logo on it on the right.  NFC logo should be a lighter shade of blue than the NFL logo.  I’d be OK with a large conference logo replacing the right helmet as a compromise to get the rest of this.

Each Super Bowl logo should be unique and different and designed by the host committee.  Placed at the 35 yard lines so that the ball is placed on top of them for kickoffs.

the 20s and the conversion hash marks as well as the yard line numerals  (G, 10, 20, 30, 40) should be outlined/highlighted in respective team colors.  50 yard line is outlined in red and blue as are the “50”s.

NFL logo sits perfectly between the 45s and while we’re at it the font of the “N” “F” “L” should go back to the previous version of the font pre-2008.  Ok to keep the 4 stars though.

Done.  I’ll supervise this all for free as well!

side note—I think the classic Jets end zone, should they have made it to Super Bowl XVII, would have been white background with a black outline to mark the goal line and out of bounds.  I know there’s now some rule against white end zones but the league used to be so consistent that I think this is what would have been done.  

So similar to these concepts that @pitt6pack recently made but with the Old NFL Logo and outlined Numerals?

da0Lbhs.png

Those concepts are fantastic and the blue Patriots end zone with helmet logo and the red AFC logo is far, far better than what we currently have as is the Rams version especially the gold one.  Highlight the yard lines and numerals and we’re really getting somewhere....

• Like 1

Sorry for all the posts but I don't have all of the field concepts in front of me...anyway I would also replace the current Super Bowl logo with the Super Bowl/peach concept logo that Pitt6Pack did which was brilliant and move those to the 35's, then it would be complete!  Thanks!

• Like 1

The funny thing was when I brought up to Ed about the two helmet endzone design, he seemed to remember it like yesterday. He then said, the Rams endzone has a helmet, which I countered with, that’s because they don’t have a logo. He understood. 

We talked about the quick turnaround years in Miami and Arizona, along with Minnesota as I mentioned earlier.

He was a really good guy, and my guess....I just think he and his crew do what the NFL asks them to do.

• Like 5