Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

BuccaneersEndZone_zps59095e34.jpg

This was created by user andycumbee19. Here is the thread for proof.

Hey! Good to see I'm still thought of around here!

Dont think you will ever be forgotten. Your template was the basis for my orginal ones. And now even more detailed diagrams have been created!

It looks like that Buccaneers were using more a block style wordmark in 1979 in their end zone like what is in this photo. It is similar to what was in the end zone during their 1979 playoff game with the Rams.

Tampa-stadium-big-sombrero-.jpg

http://www.tampapix.com/tampastadium.htm

Ah, the old "Sombrero" Man some the stadium that no longer exist. How time flys!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

It looks like that Buccaneers were using more a block style wordmark in 1979 in their end zone like what is in this photo. It is similar to what was in the end zone during their 1979 playoff game with the Rams.

Tampa-stadium-big-sombrero-.jpg

http://www.tampapix.com/tampastadium.htm

This is where things get confusing, they used this block wordmark on their field, and I've seen the video and this picture before, and that is why I'm so confused with this. But the wordmark they used on merchandise and everywhere else was the Times New Roman variation font, and then for the recent throwback games they used the TNR variation font.

Anyhow, this discussion can continue in the alternate Super Bowl's thread once I get that started. So I guess this is the end here until January once we know what teams will be in the Super Bowl, because I will probably make a field with the two contenders for what I think the field will look like, and then media day I will try to get the actual field together. So until then, thanks for all the help and input, this was a really fun series to work on.

No problem. I will see what photos I can get when the field will be painted. I have put in to be a part of the set up crew for the stadium. Wont know about that till late December.

Super Bowl XLVIII: February 2, 2014 - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey

Seattle Seahawks - 43 Denver Broncos - 8

48_zps24a67610.png

< Super Bowl XLVII First Post Website Super Bowl XLIX >

Mentioned this at the time but I actually think making the Endzone's navy blue for both teams was a good idea. For starters... the teams wore white and orange... so the endzone's contrasted both teams as an alternate color ..White/Navy and orange/navy. Also -- while I love the color orange it can be VERY clashy - so if there was an iconic photo of a seahawk catching a game-winning touchdown you didn't really want a 50-50 chance of that photo being on a bright orange background as a seahawks fan. Navy worked for both team's in that instance.

I'm not sure why they left the NFC logo navy for the seahawks or why its on the wrong side... maybe it was a style choice because then both conference logos are on the near-side of the TV and the team logos are on the far side. That doesn't explain why its navy though

HOWEVER there is precendent because the Giants endzone at Metlife usues the Giants blue for the NFC logo and also the NFL shield at midfleld is in Giants Blue and Red not the NFL colors.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Super Bowl XLVIII: February 2, 2014 - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey

48_zps24a67610.png

Mentioned this at the time but I actually think making the Endzone's navy blue for both teams was a good idea. For starters... the teams wore white and orange... so the endzone's contrasted both teams as an alternate color ..White/Navy and orange/navy. Also -- while I love the color orange it can be VERY clashy - so if there was an iconic photo of a seahawk catching a game-winning touchdown you didn't really want a 50-50 chance of that photo being on a bright orange background as a seahawks fan. Navy worked for both team's in that instance.

I'm not sure why they left the NFC logo navy for the seahawks or why its on the wrong side... maybe it was a style choice because then both conference logos are on the near-side of the TV and the team logos are on the far side. That doesn't explain why its navy though

HOWEVER there is precendent because the Giants endzone at Metlife usues the Giants blue for the NFC logo and also the NFL shield at midfleld is in Giants Blue and Red not the NFL colors.

Hard to tell. But I still vote for lazyness, with a touch of the weather combined. The NFL got lucky, if that storm had come in 18 hours eariler the game would have looked like it was being played at Mile high rather than New jersey. This is why i believe the field was so bland. Unsure the field would even be visable with a possible storm aproaching. The NFL went with "No Frills" on the field markings.

48_zps24a67610.png

Hard to tell. But I still vote for lazyness, with a touch of the weather combined. The NFL got lucky, if that storm had come in 18 hours eariler the game would have looked like it was being played at Mile high rather than New jersey. This is why i believe the field was so bland. Unsure the field would even be visable with a possible storm aproaching. The NFL went with "No Frills" on the field markings.

I totally disagree with that.... it doesn't snow that much in northern NJ -- granted last year was a very bad winter but there was no way the league assumed it was going to be snow covered. if anything it would be very cold and maybe flurries but it would have to be perfect timing to get a few inches of snow to fall at that exact time.

I dont think last year's field was any more or less bland then it has been for at least 5 years. Its colored endzones, and logos at 25, 50, and 25.

The only laziness is keeping the NFL logo at midfield 6 yards wide rather than making a new one 10 yards wide one.. but honestly i think that more smart money than laziness.. its already there. its not that important for it to be larger. Especially when you consider its not paint.. its colored turf -- I'm not entirely sure how the puzzle fits together but ud probably have to make two new strips of turf 5 yards x the wdith of the field to replace the area between the two 45-yard lines. Its not as simple as just painting it like you would with grass.

So-- not that the NFL and host committee doesnt have the money but its just not so important to spend the money on. That entire turf including the Jets and Giants endzone was brand new last year... replaced the one from the first 3 years of MetLife Stadium. So no need for a new one for midfield.

The other thing is -- I really like having the Super Bowl logos at the 25 yard lines. Think about it -- that's where the majority of the action takes place in the game. Think about how often you see a line of scrimage at the 48 yard line .. compared to either of the like 23 or 29 yard lines. Over the course of the game my guess is like 85% of the plays either start or finish with that logo within the frame of the camera - especially because there are TWO of them - whereas only like 15% show the midfield logo. So from a birds eye the field might not look as cool without the Super Bowl logo at midfield, but on tv and in game photos its much more likely to see the SB logo if its on the 25's vs. the 50.

The other thing is -- I really like having the Super Bowl logos at the 25 yard lines. Think about it -- that's where the majority of the action takes place in the game. Think about how often you see a line of scrimage at the 48 yard line .. compared to either of the like 23 or 29 yard lines. Over the course of the game my guess is like 85% of the plays either start or finish with that logo within the frame of the camera - especially because there are TWO of them - whereas only like 15% show the midfield logo. So from a birds eye the field might not look as cool without the Super Bowl logo at midfield, but on tv and in game photos its much more likely to see the SB logo if its on the 25's vs. the 50.

That is a good point, I never really thought about that. When searching images and videos for Super Bowls like XXV it was hard to find shots of midfield, or the even older games like IV.

Another theory for why the Seahawks endzone had the NFC logo on the left side of the endzone may have to do with the way the field had been put together all year, and this year for the Jets and Giants. I think maybe 12 of the 16 games had the conference logo on the left sides of the endzone, and it seems they are doing the same thing this year.

Another theory for why the Seahawks endzone had the NFC logo on the left side of the endzone may have to do with the way the field had been put together all year, and this year for the Jets and Giants. I think maybe 12 of the 16 games had the conference logo on the left sides of the endzone, and it seems they are doing the same thing this year.

I don't understand that to be honest. It ends up making the field look so awkward because of the fact the stadium had done stuff like that before.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Turns out I have some problems with my template. They are small problems so I'm not sure what I am going to do with all the fields I have made here. I guess I should explain what they are, so the first thing is my hashes were 20 inches tall, and they should be 24 inches. The next thing was the numbers. First, they were too tall, and second they were too close to the yard lines (was 4 inches away, should be 12 inches away). I also had to modify the arrows by the numbers a bit as well.

I found these problems out when making the actual fields for each team when looking up the field dimensions for college while doing Pittsburgh's field, and then went to check if my NFL fields were accurate.

Either way I'll post the old and new so you can see the difference.

This is Super Bowl XLVIII with the old template at MetLife

vZWwRdu.png

Here is the Giants current field at MetLife with the new template, so you can compare.

9AFqGsJ.png

So now I'm not sure if I should go back and redo every single field and just change the picture on each post, or just keep what I have now.

Turns out I have some problems with my template. They are small problems so I'm not sure what I am going to do with all the fields I have made here. I guess I should explain what they are, so the first thing is my hashes were 20 inches tall, and they should be 24 inches. The next thing was the numbers. First, they were too tall, and second they were too close to the yard lines (was 4 inches away, should be 12 inches away). I also had to modify the arrows by the numbers a bit as well.

I found these problems out when making the actual fields for each team when looking up the field dimensions for college while doing Pittsburgh's field, and then went to check if my NFL fields were accurate.

Either way I'll post the old and new so you can see the difference.

This is Super Bowl XLVIII with the old template at MetLife

vZWwRdu.png

Here is the Giants current field at MetLife with the new template, so you can compare.

9AFqGsJ.png

So now I'm not sure if I should go back and redo every single field and just change the picture on each post, or just keep what I have now.

Do you need me to help? I have full sized files on my main computer at home. I was noticing the difference while I was working on a template for the Pontiac Silverdome in its USFL livery with the Michigan Panthers. They used the same layouts except the main yardlines extended all the way to the sideline. It was 1983 to 1986 ;-)

9AFqGsJ.png

300FFA09-942D-43E0-85D4-2ABCCE973317_zpsthis is very nitpicky but I think ur proportions are a little off on the giants. The word mark should be just a tiny bit bigger-- right now u have about a 1 "underlines" space between it and the bottom of the end zone but it shouldn't be that much. But also the NY logo should be a decent amount smaller

Do you need me to help? I have full sized files on my main computer at home. I was noticing the difference while I was working on a template for the Pontiac Silverdome in its USFL livery with the Michigan Panthers. They used the same layouts except the main yardlines extended all the way to the sideline. It was 1983 to 1986 ;-)

I haven't decided on what I might do yet, I will probably redo them though. If I can find a way to do it really easily in paint, which I think I know a good way, then I probably won't need any help. If its more challenging than I think then I will surely take the help, and thanks for the offer. I can send you my new template if you want it as well.

this is very nitpicky but I think ur proportions are a little off on the giants. The word mark should be just a tiny bit bigger-- right now u have about a 1 "underlines" space between it and the bottom of the end zone but it shouldn't be that much. But also the NY logo should be a decent amount smaller

I don't think that s nitpicky at all, as I've said before I want these to be as exact as possible, as you can tell from my changing of the template this far into the project, so thanks for pointing that out. It looks like I might need to darken the blue just a bit as well.

Other than that, I triple checked my template, went on Google street view of Lucas Oil Stadium, and I was at Clarion's stadium today for a class and measured the hashes with my shoe, which is exactly 12 inches long, and also noted the size of the numbers, their proximity to the yard lines, and the size length and location of the arrows by the numbers. So at this point I am very confident I have the template 100% correct at this point.

I redid the field for Super Bowl XLVIII with the new template for comparison. At the beginning of this project I said I wanted to be exact as possible with these fields, so I'm going to keep true to my word and redo them with the new template. Making the change is not bad at all and doesn't take more than five minutes, so when I'm not so busy with school I can get them done. I won't be posting the changed fields, I'll just replace the old ones so I won't be bumping this thread with basically repeats.

Old

Ktcj8UX.png

New

uOJdXO8.png

To me the changes are definitely visible and are an improvement, especially with the numbers. I made one other change to this field, and that was to the "2"s to make them look as they are at MetLife.

the 10 and 25 yard line stripes seem thin and nearly invisible on the SB 48 field

Its not showing up that way for me, but it is probably because these images are re-sized to nearly 10% of the original size. In the full size everything on the field is to scale, so unfortunately I don't think there is anything I can do to change it.

• Like 1

More endzones, more endzones!!! Please!! LOL

Can you clarify what you mean? Either way if your talking about current Super Bowl endzones, I'm making fields with the current Super Bowl endzones and the primary logo at midfield for each team. Those fields won't be for this site at all, just for the simulation I have been working on. But all of the endzones will have to be made at some point.

More endzones, more endzones!!! Please!! LOL

Can you clarify what you mean? Either way if your talking about current Super Bowl endzones, I'm making fields with the current Super Bowl endzones and the primary logo at midfield for each team. Those fields won't be for this site at all, just for the simulation I have been working on. But all of the endzones will have to be made at some point.

Sorry for not being more specific. Thank you for everything you've posted so far.

I was secretly hoping for something like a mismash of odd matchups for the endzones? Like an Eagles vs. Texans, Bengals vs. Lions?

Or different colors for teams, like a black Steelers, a burgandy Redskins, a yellow Packers...........