Super Bowl Field Database - Super Bowl LVIII

pitt6pack

Super Bowl XXIX: January 29, 1995. Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami, Florida

San Diego Chargers - 26 San Francisco 49ers - 49

29_zps26aa1397.png

Many changes for this field, most notably the NFL 75 logo at midfield. Other changes include the Super Bowl logo at the 30's (this was the same year the kickoff was moved back to the 30), no conference logo in the endzone, and the number coloring was the same color as the conference for each teams sideline. Also the 49ers wordmark was different from past wordmarks used with a lager black outline.

This field ended up being a large amount of work, mostly done cleaning up the chargers wordmark and the NFL 75 logo because I only had poor resolution pictures for those. I also had to clean up the Super Bowl logo a bit as well as make the minor changes to the 49ers wordmark.

All in all, I'd say this was one of my least favorite fields before the templated logo era, although there are some good things in this field. What I disliked the most was the exicution of the Chargers wordmark and the way the NFL logo looks in the helmets. It doesn't help that this was a terrible game as well.

This game was over a minute into the game when Steve Young hit Jerry Rice with a long TD pass.

The 94 49ers where one of the best teams in the Super Bowl era, while the 94 Chargers were one of the worst. The 49ers were 18 point favorites and covered the spread by winning by 23, and it wasn't even that close.

This was one of the biggest mismatches in Super Bowl history and was the worst Super Bowl I had seen until this years

At least SD put up double digits. Can't say the same about SB 35 and 48. Those two are the worst in my opinion

Yes Super Bowl XXXV was bad but the part where they scored three TDs in 30 seconds (a pick six and back to back kickoff returns for TDs) made that part of the game exciting.

Super Bowl XXXV also had the worst starting QBs (Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins) in Super Bowl History. I can't think of another Super Bowl that had two worse starting QBs.

Super Bowl XXIX: January 29, 1995. Joe Robbie Stadium, Miami, Florida

San Diego Chargers - 26 San Francisco 49ers - 49

29_zps26aa1397.png

Many changes for this field, most notably the NFL 75 logo at midfield. Other changes include the Super Bowl logo at the 30's (this was the same year the kickoff was moved back to the 30), no conference logo in the endzone, and the number coloring was the same color as the conference for each teams sideline. Also the 49ers wordmark was different from past wordmarks used with a lager black outline.

This field ended up being a large amount of work, mostly done cleaning up the chargers wordmark and the NFL 75 logo because I only had poor resolution pictures for those. I also had to clean up the Super Bowl logo a bit as well as make the minor changes to the 49ers wordmark.

All in all, I'd say this was one of my least favorite fields before the templated logo era, although there are some good things in this field. What I disliked the most was the exicution of the Chargers wordmark and the way the NFL logo looks in the helmets. It doesn't help that this was a terrible game as well.

This game was over a minute into the game when Steve Young hit Jerry Rice with a long TD pass.

The 94 49ers where one of the best teams in the Super Bowl era, while the 94 Chargers were one of the worst. The 49ers were 18 point favorites and covered the spread by winning by 23, and it wasn't even that close.

This was one of the biggest mismatches in Super Bowl history and was the worst Super Bowl I had seen until this years

At least SD put up double digits. Can't say the same about SB 35 and 48. Those two are the worst in my opinion

this could have been the steelers if they didn't choke away the game vs SD two weeks earlier....it would have been one of the best sb fields ever the first to five

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

News Flash. I think I am getting the credential, I will know in a day or two. And since the stadium is so far from "Superbowl Central" (the NFL theme and entertainment complex) and with the Pro Bowl also here. Super Bowl Media Day has been moved to Downtown Phoenix (Talking Stick Resort Arena nee U S Airways Arena), instead of the University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale. I think it's due to them opening up the event to the public (for a fee of course) and the re-sod and painting for the field for the Super Bowl!

Awesome! even if your not by the field for media day you get the first look at the uniforms and get to take part in the media day festivities. And if I remember correctly, they hadn't finished painting the field for media day at Super Bowl XLII (or at least not the endzones), so they may not finish things up until later in the week like last year.

Super Bowl XXVII Update

I was watching some videos on NFL.com, and noticed I needed to make a small change on the Super Bowl XXVII field.

The outlining on my directional arrows were just slightly off. Below is a before and after (before on top).

27_Change_zps2f2022db.png

The arrows were outlined the same as the number color on the outside, and the secondary color on the inside.

Here are some screen shots from the video I watched for validation:

temp1_zps65d152a4.png

temp2_zpsd7a0d7b8.png

Link to the full post: Super Bowl XXVII Field

Unfortunately I did not not get the full crediential I hoped for, as the guy from UPI got it instead. But I did get a feed from the University of Phoenix STadium Facebook and twitter accounts. With pictures as the field is set and rolled in. SO I hope to have the pro Bowl field pic shortly. As far as I can tell the Pro Bowl field is very minimal, NFL shield in the center of the field and Pro Bowl endzones. Hope to see more as they pull the field out in a day or so to redo the endzones and minor areas in the playing area.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Breaking news. The Seahawks and Patriots will not be wearing their game uniforms for the NFL media day. They will be wearing team themed sweats, and shirts. A very big bummer and just a grab for $$$, as some poor Shmoe... er, Fan will shell out the $$$ just because.

Breaking news. The Seahawks and Patriots will not be wearing their game uniforms for the NFL media day. They will be wearing team themed sweats, and shirts. A very big bummer and just a grab for $$$, as some poor Shmoe... er, Fan will shell out the $$$ just because.

That is a disappointment, but we should have seen something like this coming from the $FL. In other news, midfield at UoP Stadium.nfl-super-bowl-xlix-stadium-views-850x56

Jan 23, 2015; Glendale, AZ, USA; General view of NFL shield logo at midfield of University of Phoenix Stadium in advance of Super Bowl XLIX between the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

So I can get a start on the field for Super Bowl XLIX, as I can assume they will just repaint the shield for the game. The blue in the shield looks to be lighter than what we can expect out of the two endzones for the Super Bowl, which is good news. Also noticeable, the numbers are a slightly thinner version of that standard font (like what you would see on the Colts field). Lastly, this image (and others from recent Super Bowls) made me realize my NFL shields from XLIII to XLVII are not to the correct scale, so I'll have to work on that.

Yea I noticed that too. And the cut of the field looks almost Parque'ish. Man that would be hard to replicate...even in photoshop! LOL!

Edited by SFCOM1

Yea I noticed that too. And the cut of the field looks almost Parque'ish. Man that would be hard to replicate...even in photoshop! LOL!

Not something I'm sure I can replicate. I'll probably start by coloring it as I normally do and see what I can do afterwards.

Here is my update to the NFL shield for the more recent Super Bowl's. I'd say I've got the dimensions about as close as I can.

pGtpJwV.png

I based the dimensions off of Super Bowl XLVII midfield.

1u6oAQG.png

I'm going to go back and replace the shields on Super Bowl's XLIII-XLVII.

*** UPDATE ***

I made the changes to the fields.

In addition to updating some midfield shields I made an update to the numbers for Super Bowl 43 and made then thinner (same as what we will see in Super Bowl XLIX). I usually wouldn't post a small update like numbers, but because I also changed the NFL shield for this field and others, I wanted to be able to show the difference.

gE6cFjS.png

JRQA1Mq.png

Looking at the pics form the UofP twitter feed and the AZ Cardinals webpage. They went very minimalistic with the Pro Bowl field. Most lines where not as bright as they could have been. No additional logos or lines except the NFL Shield in the middle of the field. Very boring, but they did not want to do tomuch as this is also the surface for the Super Bowl as well (with replacing the end zones turf and a few touch-ups in the playing area).Everything will be brighter and begin to to take shape in the next 48 hours.

OK I am endevoring to get a larger pic but the field looks to be very simular to The recent Super Bowls (XLV to XLVIII) with NFL Shield in the middle, generic Super Bowl XLIX logos on the "25's" Anticipating Patriots to the Left or North east endzone. and Seahawks to the South West or Right endzone. Biggest change is in the team boxes. The top or (east) endzone is the Visitors box and looks to be painted remiesent to the Super Bowls prior to Super Bowl XL (crossed "X" design in team colors with) Blue, Silver and white (and the "Flying Elvis logo in the center) for the Patriots and Silver, Blue and White with the Seahawks logo in the center) for the Seahawks. Now could this make a possibility of a silver endzone for the Seahawks instead of Blue (I would love to see that). That is what I am Endevoring to find currently.

Edited by SFCOM1

OK I am endevoring to get a larger pic but the field looks to be very simular to The recent Super Bowls (XLV to XLVIII) with NFL Shield in the middle, generic Super Bowl XLIX logos on the "25's" Anticipating Patriots to the Left or North east endzone. and Seahawks to the South West or Right endzone. Biggest change is in the team boxes. The top or (east) endzone is the Visitors box and looks to be painted remiesent to the Super Bowls prior to Super Bowl XL (crossed "X" design in team colors with) Blue, White, and Red for the Patriots and Blue, Silver, and Green) for the Seahawks. Now could this make a possibility of a silver endzone for the Seahawks instead of Blue (I would love to see that). That is what I am Endevoring to find currently.

Well the team boxes sound like a positive change (as opposed to nothing last year). And maybe change means more change? Hopefully. In years past the left and right ends of the team boxes were the same color as the endzones (for XXXVII and XXXIX anyways). Nothing would make me happier for the Super Bowl field to feature either a red, or silver endzone (and the Patriots losing by about 50).

Looks like everything will NOT be back to normal.

B8ZTS2hCQAAQuAG.jpg

B8Y34XaCYAESsUw.jpg

Well that's a disappointment. Why has it only been the Seahawks that have had their conference logo on the other side? Is this something they will do every year for the NFC team? At least the return of the big shield is an improvement, as RayFinkle said. And the return of the crossed team boxes is an improvement as well, although that part of the field is hardly seen during the game.

Maybe this means some of my theories about last years field were wrong, and I may have to consider changing the alternate SB XLVIII field.

Are the Seattle Seahawks the only NFL team with an end zone setup like that? By that, I mean, the only team that has an end zone design where the conference logo is on the left side, the team wordmark in the middle, and the team logo on the right side? It also bothers me to no end, because one would think that it would be different for the Super Bowl, because their normal end zone design for home games at CenturyLink Field is exactly like their Super Bowl end zone design, except for the fact that the NFL shield logo is on the left side instead of the NFC logo.

3 of the last 4 Super Bowl fields have been too blue and too bland! (Ravens vs. 49ers being the exception).

The thing that bothers me most is the plain-Jane 2 color end zones the last 2 years (no outlining of the lettering). Does anyone have an idea why?

p.s. - Im new to this site and new to this topic, but it's great to see there are others out there as passionate as I am about the Super Bowl field. (Maybe I'm not the only dork after all)