New Clippers logo/identity?

I'd be all for the Clippers changing to a logo that had an actual boat and/or a light blue and orange color scheme. But if they ever do go that route, I hope they leave the logo with the three triangles in the past.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major-market teams don't need mascot or nickname-driven identities. IMO they should look serious, classy, and "professional" (subjective, I know.) Let the mascot be for the kids and maybe some merch, but the uniforms / logo should be built around the city. If it will sell tickets, then let the Bucks dress themselves up like deer if it helps*, let the Timberwolves have all the gimickly trees and stupid numbers and wolf logo all over - whatever they have to do. Major-market teams should be better than that.

*FWIW, I really like the current Bucks uniforms, although I haven't seen them since the unveiling, as the Bucks may or may not have even existed for the past 3 years - i'm really not sure.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If anything, I think the Clippers are a little too gimmicky as it is right now, with the weird polygonal side panels and proprietary numbers and so on. The Clippers uniforms from the '90s were nice:

0434BSummer2013_med.jpeg

There's even something vaguely nautical about the red, white, and blue striping. Los Angeles on the roads would be ideal, of course.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Put LA on both uniforms maybe. Something about that script always turned me off - maybe because the entire thing is outlined like a patch, so the C doesn't have the outline on the inside.

I think the wordmark they use in the shorts logo would be better for the jerseys, but I also think that RWB just doesn't work for LA (I know, Dodgers, but that's different.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If anything, I think the Clippers are a little too gimmicky as it is right now, with the weird polygonal side panels and proprietary numbers and so on. The Clippers uniforms from the '90s were nice:

0434BSummer2013_med.jpeg

There's even something vaguely nautical about the red, white, and blue striping. Los Angeles on the roads would be ideal, of course.

The signal flag for C is a red stripe flanked by two blue stripes. That's why I think this uniform was genius (even if accidental). It would be much crisper looking if the outlines on the lettering and numerals were removed, however.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Major-market teams don't need mascot or nickname-driven identities. IMO they should look serious, classy, and "professional" (subjective, I know.) Let the mascot be for the kids and maybe some merch, but the uniforms / logo should be built around the city. If it will sell tickets, then let the Bucks dress themselves up like deer if it helps*, let the Timberwolves have all the gimickly trees and stupid numbers and wolf logo all over - whatever they have to do. Major-market teams should be better than that.

*FWIW, I really like the current Bucks uniforms, although I haven't seen them since the unveiling, as the Bucks may or may not have even existed for the past 3 years - i'm really not sure.

Except (usually) the teams are nicknamed after things with relevance to the city. So there really isn't anything wrong with that. Especially when "classy" and "professional" turns out to mean a script in front of a ball like a quarter of the NBA

If they are doing any kind of rebrand, I really hope they go for something like RichNCreamy's concept from a ways back...

clippers_zpse634243b.png

Wow, that's an old concept of mine (my original username was RichNCreamy but I lost track of that account and had to create a new one). Thanks for the throwback shoutout, Blitz.

Back when I first made this concept, this is the final version I ended up with:

33zmeoU.png

0434BSummer2013_med.jpeg

The signal flag for C is a red stripe flanked by two blue stripes. That's why I think this uniform was genius (even if accidental). It would be much crisper looking if the outlines on the lettering and numerals were removed, however.

Great idea! Gives off a Dodgers jersey vibe, only in red letters.

LAC_zps331c83d4.jpg

The only problem is that the Clippers are a "major-market" team in name only. The Lakers are the major-market team. The Clippers are the team that mostly catches the leftovers and bandwagoners. Looking "serious, classy, and professional" only makes them seem even more like little brother trying to dress up in big brother's clothes. Add the RWB color scheme, and you have the perfect recipe for "Generic NBA Team #2." Usually when you're a team in the same market as a more well-known team, you don't want to look like them. You want to present your own personal unique look that sets you apart. Now that doesn't mean go crazy. But the Clippers' identity through the years has done them no favors, and now that there's finally a reason to change, they need to strike while the iron is hot, and find their own fresh, unique identity that clearly separates them from the Lakers. They can start by ditching RWB for Powder Blue and Burnt Orange. After that, who knows what the next step will/should be?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

If they were to change their name, would Hammers be a good nickname for Los Angeles (or any professional sports club)?

The Clippers actually play in the same building as the Lakers. Same city, same arena, same everything unlike the 2 NY NHL Teams, and the 2 Chicago MLB teams. No wonder their logos are similar. Who do you cheer for? :P

I recall reading that Jerry Buss was influential in getting Sterling to buy the Clippers, so adopting and keeping that Lakers knockoff logo makes a little sense to me at that level. "See, Jerry, I'm like you"

The Clippers actually play in the same building as the Lakers. Same city, same arena, same everything unlike the 2 NY NHL Teams, and the 2 Chicago MLB teams. No wonder their logos are similar. Who do you cheer for? :P

I recall reading that Jerry Buss was influential in getting Sterling to buy the Clippers, so adopting and keeping that Lakers knockoff logo makes a little sense to me at that level. "See, Jerry, I'm like you"

Also, Sterling helped Buss raise funds to buy the Lakers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

0434BSummer2013_med.jpeg

Dear new Clippers owner/s,

Adopt this look please.

If that's their logo, they are going from "suck" to "suck more". Blah!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

If they are doing any kind of rebrand, I really hope they go for something like RichNCreamy's concept from a ways back...

clippers_zpse634243b.png

Wow, that's an old concept of mine (my original username was RichNCreamy but I lost track of that account and had to create a new one). Thanks for the throwback shoutout, Blitz.

Back when I first made this concept, this is the final version I ended up with:

33zmeoU.png

Beautiful logo and script. I think if the Clippers base a new identity on that, I think it would be a hit. You don't really see a Navy and Blue combo like that in the NBA other than with the Knicks.

I loved the old semaphore flags on the San Diego Clippers uniforms that spelled "Clippers"

And the old light blue/orange color combination was their best IMO.

I had never seen the San Diego Clippers uniforms before, but I've always thought they should use nautical flags to spell Clippers.

Archived