National Football League helmet logos

Some teams have "modernized" their look or improved their look over the last 25 or so seasons. I wanted to get opinions on which you like, which you hate, which teams need to modernize, and which teams don't.

Miami - Although I know it's very unpopular to many on these boards, I actually love the updated logo. I dislike cartoonish looking logos for a pro team, especially football.

New England - Nice modern look, the "Flying Elvis" head. I know some wish Pat the Patriot would come back. I'm equally pleased with both, but don't see the Pats going back to the retro look, not when they've won 3 Super Bowls w/the current logo.

New York Jets - I rather miss the kelly green helmets. I'd like to see them modernize back to that look, sans the "Jets" name on the helmet.

Buffalo - Was glad to see them return to having white helmets again. The logo itself has been there since 1974, but I feel is fine.

Pittsburgh - Classic logo, it should never change. How do you all feel about the fact that they are unique in that they only have the logo on the right side of the helmet?

Baltimore - I hate the gold "B" stuck in his head. It looks silly. The Ravens bore me, and I have never liked them, so I'm undoubtedly biased against them.

Cleveland - I've seen some really good concepts that include a logo. I wouldn't mind seeing them add one, but if they don't, that's fine too.

Cincinnati - Back in 1981 that look was so wild! Now it's a classic look that I would like to see stay. No bengal head, no "B", just keep the orange helmet and the black stripes.

Indianapolis - Classic look, keep it as is.

Tennessee - I love the logo, an upgrade from the old oil derrick

Houston - Awesome logo, no change needed.

Jacksonville - I actually love the logo update from the one that looked like black elbow macaroni. I just wish they would have keep the helmet all black.

San Diego - I am in the rare rare minority here, but I hate the white helmet w/the gold bolt. I hate the "powder blue" look. My favorite look was from 1974-87. The yellow lightning bolt on a dark blue background looks much better to me and more realistic.

Denver - Awesome update, got rid of that 70's looking "D" with the horse in it. It's a classic logo the "D", but this modernization is splendid.

Oakland - Never needs an update! Their logo and uniform is about all they have going for them.

Kansas City - While it looks dated, I feel they should stay with it, no need to "modernize".

Dallas - Another classic. The helmet is great. The uniforms need to be more uniform color wise, and I wish they had the skinnier numerals too.

Philadelphia - They modernized in the mid 1990s from the classic Kelly Green look to this midnight green. I personally never liked the darker helmet or uniform set. I'd like to see them go back to the Kelly Green look, which would have been perfect last year with Chip Kelly as their new coach. If Atlanta could go all black for Glanville, why not the Eagles going Kelly Green for Chip?

Washington - Classic logo which I'm certain will vanish before long. Seems more and more "P.C." pressure being put on the team to get rid of the "Redskins" nickname.

New York Giants - Classic look on a modern helmet w/the glittery blue. I'd like to see them go back to the darker blue like they had before though, but keep the "ny" logo. Much nicer than the "GIANTS" logo.

Chicago - Perfect as is to me.

Green Bay - Also perfect as is.

Minnesota - I prefer the mid 1970s look for the helmet and the horn.

Detroit - While the modernization is okay, I'd prefer their early 1980s look, both helmet and uniform wise. Loved the silver numerals on the Hawaiian blue jerseys.

Atlanta - Very nice modernization of the falcon. Would love to see red helmets return though, but looks very sharp in black too.

Carolina - Nice modernization of the logo itself. Surprises me a bit that their uniform numerals are vintage 1970s fare though.

Tampa Bay - One of the nicest updates back in 1997. Only gripe is it resembles the 49ers too much. The 2014 helmet logo is a joke though, due to its disproportionate size.

New Orleans - Nice look they have now, helmet wise anyway.

St. Louis Rams - Please go back to the navy blue helmet and the yellow/gold horn. The current helmet is so dull and dreary looking, even moreso when they play indoors.

San Francisco - Glad to see they went back to a somewhat late 1980s look.

Arizona - Nice modernization of the cardinal head.

Seattle - Love both updates, but also miss the 1976-2001 look.

Some teams have "modernized" their look or improved their look over the last 25 or so seasons. I wanted to get opinions on which you like, which you hate, which teams need to modernize, and which teams don't.

Miami - Although I know it's very unpopular to many on these boards, I actually love the updated logo. I dislike cartoonish looking logos for a pro team, especially football.

Baltimore - I hate the gold "B" stuck in his head. It looks silly. The Ravens bore me, and I have never liked them, so I'm undoubtedly biased against them.Tennessee - I love the logo, an upgrade from the old oil derrickSan Diego - I am in the rare rare minority here, but I hate the white helmet w/the gold bolt. I hate the "powder blue" look. My favorite look was from 1974-87. The yellow lightning bolt on a dark blue background looks much better to me and more realistic.Minnesota - I prefer the mid 1970s look for the helmet and the horn.

Detroit - While the modernization is okay, I'd prefer their early 1980s look, both helmet and uniform wise. Loved the silver numerals on the Hawaiian blue jerseys.

Random Thoughts:

Mia: I am totally with you on Miami. I like this logo and I guess I am just "too serious" for their old logo.

Bal: I don't hate the "B" on the right-facing bird, but it looks awful on the left-facing bird so they need to remove it.

Ten: It took me a long to to come to this conclusion, but I HATE this logo. I think it's the flames. A flaming circle? Ugh.

SD: I have come to really not like the idea of a "curved" lightning bolt.

PHI: The 80s helmet was perfect.

MIN: I liked the addition of the black trim...it better-depicts the horn as pointing upward.

DET: I am with you. The pre-black Lions helmet was great.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The new Lions helmet logo is light years better than the blob from past years. It's not even close.

lions_new.png

outside of the black facemask, I feel like the inclusion of it as an accent color works well with the uniform. I could take or leave the new number font though.

Mia: I am totally with you on Miami. I like this logo and I guess I am just "too serious" for their old logo.

The updated dolphin looks good. I only wish he was arched like he's breaching the water surface instead of "swimming" in front of the sun.

I hated the cartoon dolphin of '97-'12. It looked silly more so than "tough."

I disagree. I'm tired of the trend of making everything associated with football super aggressive or super serious. Sometimes goofy works. The Dolphins fielded what is arguably the best team in NFL history with a dolphin wearing a football helmet as their logo. I'd say they made goofy work.

The old logo looked worlds better. Despite the various incarnations, it was a classic, and they will eventually return to it.

New York Jets - I rather miss the kelly green helmets. I'd like to see them modernize back to that look, sans the "Jets" name on the helmet.

The green helmets with the sleek "Jets" logo were much better than what they have now -- much more symbolic of a "jet" than a green oval with racing stripes down the middle.

Pittsburgh - Classic logo, it should never change. How do you all feel about the fact that they are unique in that they only have the logo on the right side of the helmet?

It looks silly and it will always look silly, no matter how many Super Bowls they win while wearing them.

Cincinnati - Back in 1981 that look was so wild! Now it's a classic look that I would like to see stay. No bengal head, no "B", just keep the orange helmet and the black stripes.

Agree completely.

Tennessee - I love the logo, an upgrade from the old oil derrick

The last version of the Oilers helmet was one of the best in NFL history. The current Titans helmet is one of the worst in NFL history. It was ugly in 1999 and it's still ugly today. Why they don't use the sword "T" logo is a mystery to me.

San Diego - I am in the rare rare minority here, but I hate the white helmet w/the gold bolt. I hate the "powder blue" look. My favorite look was from 1974-87. The yellow lightning bolt on a dark blue background looks much better to me and more realistic.

I agree completely. I've never understood why so many people think a yellow logo on a white helmet is a good idea. Not enough contrast in the colors.

New Orleans - Nice look they have now, helmet wise anyway.

...except for the racing stripes that no longer go with the uniforms most of the time.

St. Louis Rams - Please go back to the navy blue helmet and the yellow/gold horn. The current helmet is so dull and dreary looking, even moreso when they play indoors.

Yep, that needs to happen and I think we'll see it eventually.

I disagree. I'm tired of the trend of making everything associated with football super aggressive or super serious. Sometimes goofy works. The Dolphins fielded what is arguably the best team in NFL history with a dolphin wearing a football helmet as their logo. I'd say they made goofy work.

It's not just football. All sports are on the "Rar! Aggressive intensity!" train. In the last year, we got a, angry, sinister pelican logo and now a sleek, angry hornet, which is absurd in both cases. If ever there were cases to go campy, it's teams named the Hornets and Pelicans.

Not only were the Dolphins' old logo(s) worlds better than the current crap from a logical standpoint, but they represented the franchise for over 50 years. At a certain point that's what your franchise is. So drastically changing from something like that after all that history makes very little sense. It's like if the Vikings revamp would have featured an "M" on the helmets instead of their iconic horns.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Lions' new logo has too many elements to scan well from a distance, and they kept the black, which sucks. That said, I prefer the new Lion to "Bubbles," and would love to see something like this:

Logo_zpsd261b818.png

It's not just football. All sports are on the "Rar! Aggressive intensity!" train. In the last year, we got a, angry, sinister pelican logo and now a sleek, angry hornet, which is absurd in both cases. If ever there were cases to go campy, it's teams named the Hornets and Pelicans.

Not only were the Dolphins' old logo(s) worlds better than the current crap from a logical standpoint, but they represented the franchise for over 50 years. At a certain point that's what your franchise is. So drastically changing from something like that after all that history makes very little sense. It's like if the Vikings revamp would have featured an "M" on the helmets instead of their iconic horns.

I don't think the dolphin is supposed to look "mean" or "aggressive." It's more of a silhouette. I agree that "ferocious" can be a bad thing for a logo; it tends to give over-detailed logos that don't belong anywhere, particularly on football helmets (see: Fresno State). However, I don't think it has to be a contest between "campy" and "ferocious". I don't think the new dolphin looks "tougher".

Your point on how long the Dolphins had that logo is a good one, and I even sometimes think it's weird that that logo is gone, but my personal preference is for big league teams not to go campy. No Blue Jay flexing his maple leaf-tattooed arm, no elephant with sun glasses, no dolphin with a snarl and a football helmet. It's why I sit in the minority on my dislike of beer barrel man. Again, that's just my personal preference...I just felt like saying that some people don't like campy logos in the big leagues, whether it's because we're too serious or...

I also happen to love silhouettes (bubbles, Iowa, Texas). I am really glad we did not get another cat head logo at the last lions update. The concepts were both "campy" and "ferocious".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

The Lions' new logo has too many elements to scan well from a distance, and they kept the black, which sucks. That said, I prefer the new Lion to "Bubbles," and would love to see something like this:

Logo_zpsd261b818.png

you literally removed just four white lines.

Logo_zpsd261b818.png

you literally removed just four white lines.

No, he also removed that stupid black outline, which was the one really necessary subtraction.

Yeah it looks great. I agree with Brian that this version of the lion is better (not counting outlines), simply because the old one was a bit "blobby" but boy does it look nice without the black.

POTD (Shared)

Miami- ??? Don't know what they were thinking, after they added blue to primary colors, and take the helmet off the dolphin, the helmets would've been one of the best.

Detroit- Drop the black outline on the logo and facemask, go back to the Honollulu Blue and Silver team colors. Somehow, teams think if they go winless in a season, they have to change their uniforms.

Seattle- The Pacific blue and Navy combo was one of the best, the current ones are ok, drop that grid-like looking, tapered stripe on the top of the helme.

St.Louis- Go back the yellow gold, get rid of the metallic Old Gold.

Tampa Bay- One of the best leave it alone, even if they changed for next season, enlarging the logo.

NY Giants- Go back to the LT era- helmets, love the blue helmet, white facemask, single red stripe. Keep the "ny' logo if you want. IMHO keep the "GIANTS" logo..thats their name, so the logo shoudl be bold and blunt.

San Diego- Again go back to the Navy helmet, Gold facemask, White bolts outlined in navy and gold; the Dan Fouts era...

Detroit- Drop the black outline on the logo and facemask, go back to the Honollulu Blue and Silver team colors. Somehow, teams think if they go winless in a season, they have to change their uniforms.

The Lions added black in 2003. They went winless in 2008.

Nothing was going to save that teams. Not even ditching the black.

Don't let a little thing like "facts" get in the way of a good argument.

Archived