Is the Sale and Relocation of the LA Clippers Probable?

hawk36

If the Clippers really wanted to grow their own, strong, fan base, they would be wise to move somewhere else in SoCal. Sharing a place with LA's team, the Lakers, does nothing for them except reinforce that they are the "red headed step child". Sure they have bandwagon fans now but that won't last. They need to carve out their own part of the region, design a brand that fits that specific region, and build on making the people in that region Clipper fans. It will take a while but it would be a much better long term plan.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But wasn't the Mets rule only because they were good and the Yankees were bad? All things being equal, aren't the Yankees New York's team? And the Yankees and the Mets play in completely different parts of town so they automatically have built in default fans that didn't have a previous allegiance but happen to live in the area.

To have a long, sustained, successful franchise, I think you have to build the true, deep, fervent fan base that loves you through the good and the bad. I don't think the Clippers can ever have that being where they are now, sharing the same exact space as the Lakers.

If the Clippers really wanted to grow their own, strong, fan base, they would be wise to move somewhere else in SoCal. Sharing a place with LA's team, the Lakers, does nothing for them except reinforce that they are the "red headed step child". Sure they have bandwagon fans now but that won't last. They need to carve out their own part of the region, design a brand that fits that specific region, and build on making the people in that region Clipper fans. It will take a while but it would be a much better long term plan.

The Clippers make a lot of money playing in the Staples Centre due to a favourable lease. There's no way the new owner, whoever it happens to be, is going to turn their back on that. They might move to Anaheim if they can't renew that deal at Staples once it runs out (and no, arena contracts aren't cancelled because the team owner is a douchebag). Still, I don't see them leaving the Staples Centre if they can help it. Yeah, it'll always leave them in the Lakers' shadow but it makes more financial sense to stay there then go anywhere else.

The Clippers make a lot of money playing in the Staples Centre due to a favourable lease. There's no way the new owner, whoever it happens to be, is going to turn their back on that. They might move to Anaheim if they can't renew that deal at Staples once it runs out (and no, arena contracts aren't cancelled because the team owner is a douchebag). Still, I don't see them leaving the Staples Centre if they can help it. Yeah, it'll always leave them in the Lakers' shadow but it makes more financial sense to stay there then go anywhere else.

Exactly this. Not to mention that if someone like Magic actually buys the team, they won't be moving out of LA.

I would say if the Clippers were to be relocated (which I very much doubt), it would be San Diego or Seattle. There was that rumor about the Kings going to Anaheim, and while the Clippers did play there in the past, I don't see them being there permanently. (Although Anaheim does have the Ducks and Angels, so anything is possible).

There was a time when the Mets ruled New York. Wasn't even that long ago. With the Lakers headed for a flat period, the opportunity will be there.

Right; and that opportunity could be right now. Let's not forget that the Clippers are still alive in the playoffs, riding a wave of public sympathy and an emotional high. The spotlight on them has never been greater; they are an exciting team, and they have some great personalities there: Rivers, Griffin, Paul.

If, somehow, we get a Clippers-Nets finals, this will be a full-blown star-studded New York vs. Los Angeles extravaganza -- which will be remarkable considering that the Clippers and Nets were for a long time the most anonymous and most unloved teams in the league. I remember joking once in the early 90s before a Net game against the Clippers that, if both teams were kidnapped on the way to the game, it would be hard to notice the difference.

As for the Clippers' visual identity: it is a bit of a mess. They have two different wordmarks, one in the logo, one on the uniform. But their uniforms are clean and dignified; It might be good to create a primary logo around the uniform's wordmark, while adding something nautical, such as an updated version of the "three sails" logo.

One thing that that needs a major upgrade is that they need a nicer letter logo; that LAC overlay thing is terrible, with a slapdash feel to it. The script "L", "A", and "C" from the jersey wordmarks can somehow be fashioned into a nice letter logo, maybe with those letters being made to look like sections of rope.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yeah, there is no way the new owner would back out of the Staples Center lease, unless they are flat out stupid. The Clippers just renewed their lease last year for another 10 years. And it would cost somewhere in the tens of millions to cancel it.

jNTsTyQ.png

No, Mike.

The Clippers make a lot of money playing in the Staples Center due to a favorable lease.

:P

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

But wasn't the Mets rule only because they were good and the Yankees were bad? All things being equal, aren't the Yankees New York's team? And the Yankees and the Mets play in completely different parts of town so they automatically have built in default fans that didn't have a previous allegiance but happen to live in the area.

To have a long, sustained, successful franchise, I think you have to build the true, deep, fervent fan base that loves you through the good and the bad. I don't think the Clippers can ever have that being where they are now, sharing the same exact space as the Lakers.

I don't think geography has all that much to do with it once you get beyond the immediate area surrounding the stadiums. The Yankees are the pre-approved, corporate-friendly team ("rooting for General Motors", after all) and the Mets, when successful, have positioned themselves as the common man's team. Scrappy and blue-collar. The baseball fan's team, more interested in the sport itself than fashion caps. That plus success (or at least being competitive) is a pretty good niche to fill in a large market.

Yeah, there is no way the new owner would back out of the Staples Center lease, unless they are flat out stupid. The Clippers just renewed their lease last year for another 10 years. And it would cost somewhere in the tens of millions to cancel it.

Correct BUT I would say that although people that can afford an NBA team are aware of costs, they may not really be as married to costs as most people. They know the team is like a stock and they'll get the big windfall when they sell.

So, an argument could be made that while the immediate financial success would be in staying at Staples, the long term success would be in forging their own identity away from the Lakers and increasing the overall value of the team that way. Just a thought.

No, Mike.

The Clippers make a lot of money playing in the Staples Center due to a favorable lease.

Technically he's wrong about the former, but he's most definitely right about the latter ;)

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Correct BUT I would say that although people that can afford an NBA team are aware of costs, they may not really be as married to costs as most people. They know the team is like a stock and they'll get the big windfall when they sell.

So, an argument could be made that while the immediate financial success would be in staying at Staples, the long term success would be in forging their own identity away from the Lakers and increasing the overall value of the team that way. Just a thought.

Well the new valuation models based on financials TV is the #1 factor. For that very reason you won't see the clippers move to the OC or anywhere out of the central LA metro. This is all about marketability and an LA centric team will attract some OC fans, the reverse is not necessarily equal where LA residents will be attracted to an OC branded/focused club. They could try the angels route but that's a bit silly.

It would not be shocking to see a 3rd NBA team in OC or SD as they would still make money as OC is a big enough market to support it's own club and the $$$ is there. It's just not going to be the clippers because they don't want to give up the LA brand even if it's 2nd fiddle. So in 5 years time we could have the Ducks & Bucks both playing in the same building in Anaheim. Sounds like a dream scenario for hunting aficionados.

an argument could be made that while the immediate financial success would be in staying at Staples, the long term success would be in forging their own identity away from the Lakers and increasing the overall value of the team that way. Just a thought.

I would say that's far from proven.

No successful businessman or businesswoman (which one would have to be in order to afford the Clippers) would pay tens of millions to get out of a contract and move to a locale where they stand to be less viable financially then where they currently are. Donald Sterling stands to make a significant gain on his investment in the team, and that was with them playing in the Lakers' shadow for most of his tenure. So there's long term profit to be made as the Lakers' "little brother."

an argument could be made that while the immediate financial success would be in staying at Staples, the long term success would be in forging their own identity away from the Lakers and increasing the overall value of the team that way. Just a thought.

Keep in mind I'm not saying move out of LA, just out of Staples and the Lakers immediate shadow.

The lease with Staples is a big part of what makes the team so valuable.

No, Mike.

What are ya talkin' aboot eh?

Keep in mind I'm not saying move out of LA, just out of Staples and the Lakers immediate shadow.

I guess you're arguing for a hypothetical that is virtually impossible. With acquisition and construction costs it's impossible to build another NBA quality venue in :LA proper and be economically viable.as no municipality nor would a team sink half a billion to set up shop right down the road from staples and also attempt to compete for other events against staples and a completely renovated forum.

Lastly as I mentioned before both teams are tenants of aeg and they are both treated as such with maybe a slight nod to the Lakers due to aeg's minority stake. Staples is such a soulless and sterile venue it's perfect for hosting both teams. Once the lakers left the forum any hallowed ground or venue mystique disappeared. Trust me I've seen both play there and it does not matter one bit who is playing the venue is the epitome of neutrality. The only thing that makes a difference is if the crowd is into it and we know how fickle LA fans are.

Who owns Staples Center? Do the Lakers lease from someone like the Clippers do, or do the Clippers lease from the Lakers?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived