US Soccer Concept (T-Shirt On Sale & More Uniforms Added)

JPDesign

I usually post my concepts once they're pretty well developed but I thought I'd try jumping in a bit earlier in the process this time.

It started with a doodle. I was on a call the other day and I started doodling a soccer ball. I was zoning out and thinking about the World Cup coming up and how terrible our current crest was. As I was sketching I started turning the pentagonal panels of the ball into another 5-centric shape, a star.

qmEL6RF.jpg

Now, I've since done some Google searching and I've learned that I'm clearly not the first person to make this geometric connection. However, that makes it all the more painful to me that the US Soccer logo doesn't utilize it!

Today I did some more sketches and came up with a layout that I think works quite well for a crest (excuse the terrible S, I've always struggled with that letter):

Pc1dXXy.jpg

The star-studded ball defines the bottom shape of the crest (I've always loved crests that use this shape). Then there are red & white stripes which pay homage to the Centennial crest and fixes the dumbfounding blue stripe issue with the current crest. Lastly a bold, block USA at the top rather than the Helvetica Bold Italic they use now.

Like I said, still rough but I think it has some potential. I'll update later with some vector comps.

Updates:

Jump to the rough crest.

Jump to the updated crest.

Jump to the rough roundel.

Jump to the updated roundel.

Jump to the change kit.

Buy it on a t-shirt!

Jump to the home & Captain America kits.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like the direction this is going. One little thing: the stars on the ball remind me of the Champions League ball used in European club competition. Although I like the use of stars in the logo maybe try incorporating them in a different way.

GZt8H04.jpg?1?2136

Imo it needs some bolder elements. As it is, it's just a little too direct with the general American motifs going on that it's lacking some character that you would find with most other national crests. I say this only because the design is reminiscent of some ideas I've seen done before. Why not play with variations of a more unique font, or perhaps tweak the shape of the badge? Lots of untapped potential here.

Midway.png

This looks nothing like the Champions League logo... can't wait to see it in color.

Just the use of the stars on the ball, not the Champions League logo itself.

GZt8H04.jpg?1?2136

Here we are with the first vector / color version. Overall I think it's looking good. I may try a more condensed typeface for the "USA" to give it more height. That could help balance it. I initially tried some different things with the star sizes where all the points met, but it looked too perfect. I like the tension that the small gaps between the outer stars provide. I think it also implies a bit of perspective without warping the stars.

OGEwsJg.png

I'm going to play with type size a bit, and then I want to do a roundel next.

Generic? Because tgere are so many teams with that crest shape and a soccerball made of stars. Generic is a retro ball (similar to a volleyball) on a roundel.

I think this is perfect. If you want to change the font a bit, it should be fine, but the rest is great and simple.

I think generic seems like the wrong critique. Minimal would be accurate though.

I was going for a classic feel; something that wouldn't have to be updated for years to come. Unlike the current crest which hasn't been updated in years but should be (sans a border change).

Italy is one of my favorite crests, for example. I like the simplicity. Ornate crests only feel right if they've been around for decades, like England, or Spain. I don't think a design like that fits the US very well.

Anyway, I've played with a more condensed type and I like it a lot. I'm tweaking some of the counters in the letters and then I'll uploaded the revised crest.

Updated the crest with a more condensed face. I'm really happy with how this is materializing thus far! The proportions work a little better this way.

6B84ON8.png

And here is what it looks like on red:

0jcQaco.png

Next I'm going to start on a secondary roundel.

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Here is the first look at the secondary roundel logo.

Something feels off about it, I think it may be too much white. Now that I look at it, I may try making the circle with the name blue, with a white stroke.

1Ve47jA.png

I like it, but I think all thats lacking is some more red. If the "United States" and "Soccer Federation" were of equal size, you could probably use red stripes as a divider intead of stars but that may be too tight.

Thanks again for the feedback. I started on a version with the text on a blue background rather than white, and I think that helped balance the colors more.

As for the flower thing, I agree. I knew something was a little off. I added a blue stroke around the ball and I think it helps pull it out and diminishes the "flower effect.

I think adding the stripes is a great idea too. It will help tie them together. It was a little cramped to try and use stripes as a divider, but I added another circle section and filled it with stripes and I think it ends up as a nice compliment to the crest.

yybcdM1.png

And here it is on red:

NXyLrVK.png

I've started on some uniform ideas, and hope to have those up next!

Archived