NHL Seattle concept

jrvegeeta

Here's my concept for an NHL team in Seattle. I went with green because of the city's nickname (emerald city), which seems to be the common link between all Seattle pro teams. The teal is because that is the color on the city flag. The Name is simple: the mountains are visible from the city limits and are apart of the city skyline.

SeattleMountaineers.png

SeattleMountaineersHome.png

SeattleMountaineersAway.png

SeattleMountaineersAlt.png

Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is welcome....

Jrvegeeta

The first thing I think is that the logo reminds me too much of the Avalanche. For "Mountaineers", perhaps depict a mountaineer rather than a mountain.

rATMcmK.png

The first thing I think is that the logo reminds me too much of the Avalanche. For "Mountaineers", perhaps depict a mountaineer rather than a mountain.

Not a bad idea, although I don't know how well it would work. The Islanders used a bearded man in their logo some years back and it was poorly received. Still, I play with it and see if I can come up with something.

Jrvegeeta

Maybe make some adjustments to the colour scheme too. Blue and kelly green is too strongly associated with the Canucks. You could try navy and lime green to better fit in with the other Seattle teams, and have a better colour contrast.

Strangely enough, I was just thinking that while I was starting to tinker with the logo in illustrator just now. Good suggestions!

Jrvegeeta

One thing that throws me off is that the point of the mountain is not in the center of the logo. I think the mountain point should be the center point. It's throwing me off seeing the collar then the top of the logo being to the left of it.

Ok, so I re-did the logo and the uniforms. I've replaced the teal with navy blue and the kelly green with lime green for more contrast. I tried to come up with a "mountain man" logo, but all the attempts seemed to come out looking kind of like the logo from ASU (Appl. State) - which doesn't work at all since I needed something that felt more "Rocky Mountain". I decided to simplify the logo so that it doesn't look so much like a minor league team logo.

SeattleMountaineersv2.jpg

SeattleMountaineersHome-1.jpg

SeattleMountaineersAway-1.jpg

SeattleMountaineersAlt-1.jpg

SeattleMountaineersAlt2.jpg

Much better. I'm not a fan of the green shield on the green jersey. Also, for the third jersey, I think it would work better if the S wasn't white. It just creates a lot of negative space that makes the logo looked unbalanced. Overall a way better design though.

If Seattle gets a team, there are three names I could see them using before other names: Totems, Thunderbirds or Metropolitans. Second-teir but still possible are the fish-related ones: Sockeye (kind of funny for a hockey team), Steelheads, Cutthroats, Chinooks (which, funny enough is another word for a likely division opponent... Chinook salmon are also known as King salmon.)*

Much better. I'm not a fan of the green shield on the green jersey. Also, for the third jersey, I think it would work better if the S wasn't white. It just creates a lot of negative space that makes the logo looked unbalanced. Overall a way better design though.

You should see something in a bit. Crazyboy brought this up in an earlier post and both of you are right - too much green-on-green. I'm honestly happy that people care enough to make suggestions to help improve my work. Thanx dude!

If Seattle gets a team, there are three names I could see them using before other names: Totems, Thunderbirds or Metropolitans. Second-teir but still possible are the fish-related ones: Sockeye (kind of funny for a hockey team), Steelheads, Cutthroats, Chinooks (which, funny enough is another word for a likely division opponent... Chinook salmon are also known as King salmon.)*

Thunderbirds is the best, but the Western Hockey League (WHL) might have an issue with that. Totems and Metropolitans doesn't sound bad, with Totems never being used by any team (NY Mets is - unofficially - short for Metropolitans). The second-tier teams I'm a bit hesitant on. Cutthroats will never be used since this country's government would whine and b**** about it (one reason Washington DC changed the name of their NBA team from "Bullets" to "Wizards").

All that said, if the WHL doesn't mind, again, Thunderbirds is the best name IMO.

I still say metros is the best name. As far as NY Mets are comcerned, its first come, first serve, so Im pretty sure Seattle has the upper hand. Also, Jets, Panthers, Kings, Giants, use the same names in the big four.

I still say metros is the best name. As far as NY Mets are comcerned, its first come, first serve, so Im pretty sure Seattle has the upper hand. Also, Jets, Panthers, Kings, Giants, use the same names in the big four.

Actually, I'm quite sure the MLB NY Mets aren't going to say anything about it, since the team could be called the Metros, not the Mets. It's the Thunderbirds name that might hit a snag since there already is a Seattle hockey team with that name.

While I do think Thunderbirds is the best name, that's only my opinion. Besides, I don't live in Seattle (although if I got offered a good enough job, I certainly wouldn't mind moving there), so I would imagine that Seattle folks would have more control over the naming of the team than some outsider like myself.

Also, Metros does sound rather cool, so long as the logo works. In other words, avoid doing with the Oklahoma City Thunder did - dear lord that logo is terrible.

Archived