Sign in to follow this  
masterchaoss

basketball fanbases by county

Not shocking at all. The Kings are a clear #1 in their market, while the Clippers are a distant(at best #2) in theirs.

I'm a bit surprised that the Kings don't control more of the Sac area, but then again the certain former owners definitely turned at lot of people off and depressed the fan base.

Bucks have 27% of Milwaukee County. Not seen is that "those professionals don't play for the love of the game" has 20%. Bingo bango!

Look at all those bandwagon Lakers fans.

Everywhere that doesn't have a local team is full of Lakers and Heat fans. I could've told you this without looking at the map

I didn't realize the Lakers had such a massive nation-wide following.

San Diego was already a Laker town when the Clippers were there, and San Diegans were pushed away further by that scumbag Donald Sterling.

Well that and the Lakers market themselves in San Diego getting on the local radio and TV stations for most games and playing an exhibition game in SD almost every year at the old Sports Arena... The Clippers didn't do squat in tier former home until Fox Sports SD launched 2 years ago and got some of tier games on there.

That said here's at least 1 San Diego Clippers fan who doesn't fit their stats.

Random patches of Thunder fans all the way up in Alaska.

Nets only own 8 small zip codes in Brooklyn, and Newark has bucked their old tenants for the Lakers.

Washington's claim is a lot smaller than I would have thought, and I also thought the Hawks would have more of Georgia, but that explains a lot about the Hawks.

And the Canada part of the map is also strange. The Lakers own large swaths of Canada, and the Raptors win most of Ontario, but less than you'd expect by looking at the percentages. Then the Raptors get a couple counties in northern BC and Alberta, skip over the Lakers' Quebec, and then take control of the Maritimes.

Alaska isn't surprising. Like the Mariners own portions of that state, the Sonics likely did as well. An being that AK fans are remote from Seattle it seems likely the move to OKC wouldn't have had quite the negative polarizing impact that it did in the Seattle metro area.

In Essex County, Ontario (directly across the river from Detroit), there is absolutely no way that the Lakers have the majority. It's almost split Pistons/Raptors for majority. The Heat I can maybe see as top 3 because there's band-wagoners everywhere, but Lakers just have a handful.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/basketball-map.html?_r=0#4,39.224,-97.139 So not surprising the Lakers dominate. something surprising is that kings own more counties than the clippers, and the clips aren't even second in most southern California counties its the the Bulls or Celtics.

So it's not just the Clippers, but the Kings apparently don't deserve to be capitalized, either. This is getting interesting.

I don't get Seattle. The Sonics skip town and the majority now belongs to their once arch-nemesis Lakers? :therock:

Alaska isn't surprising. Like the Mariners own portions of that state, the Sonics likely did as well. An being that AK fans are remote from Seattle it seems likely the move to OKC wouldn't have had quite the negative polarizing impact that it did in the Seattle metro area.

That makes sense, but it's not even the population centers in Alaska haha. It's the tundra.

I don't get Seattle. The Sonics skip town and the majority now belongs to their once arch-nemesis Lakers? :therock:

I don't think actual Seattle fans are Laker fans, per se. There's bitter resentment those people have towards the Thunder and their ownership group, and the majority of basketball fans there have vowed to cut all local ties to the NBA until the Sonics return to form.

This is just another case of player-centric fanbases. There are hordes of Laker fans nationwide because of Kobe Bryant, not because of the actual Lakers team. Similarly, there are hordes of Heat fans nationwide because of LeBron James, not because of the actual Heat team. In areas with a local NBA team, the attention is paid towards the team; in sparse areas without a local team to root for, you follow the most popular NBA players around.

This is my hunch for Seattle; the people there who will watch the NBA because of the game itself will be outnumbered by the people who will watch the NBA because of Kobe. Hence, the current spread of Laker fans in the Pacific Northwest.

It's kind of funny how almost every single county in Ontario is a Raptors base, while Ottawa and Leeds have the Heat and Lakers taking the tops. Must be a grudge against Toronto, lol.

Also, it seems that every single Canadian country near Eastern and Northern Ontario that isn't a Raptors-first area, has the Lakers as their favourite team, except Ottawa which has the Heat, with Ottawa and Gatineau the only two counties that even have the Heat in their top 2.

In Essex County, Ontario (directly across the river from Detroit), there is absolutely no way that the Lakers have the majority. It's almost split Pistons/Raptors for majority. The Heat I can maybe see as top 3 because there's band-wagoners everywhere, but Lakers just have a handful.

If it were Detroit, there'd be a case for the Pistons. But since it's Canada, how would the average fan there recognize the Pistons? They're a distant 4th-fiddle in Ontario's recognition of Detroit teams. Of course the Red Wings play hockey, the Lions are noticed because of the NFL's vast popularity in the Greater Detroit region, and the Tigers have been consistently good over the years to get themselves noticed. The Pistons? Go ask the average Canadian basketball fan and you'd have to give them time to come up with some salient answers about the team.

The Raptors? They're Canada's NBA team. The Lakers? Of course people worldwide will know them. It's a much more valid rationale to the fanbase there.

I guess I'm surprised the Cavs don't have the full support of Ohio considering the state is pretty state-centric on practically ever other sport there is. It's also noteworthy that the Spurs are still pretty limited when it comes to fans in the south, despite having an envious level of success the past 15 years. .

By the way, what happened Knicks? Historic franchise doesn't even own the state?

I expected more Atlanta Hawks fans in Winnipeg.