new Orlando City Soccer MLS logo

BrandMooreArt

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit too simple for my taste. There is really nothing about it that makes me think "ah, this is an athletic team." It's so, sanitized, I guess, that you could realistically put it on any hotel or convention center and I would just assume it was that entity's corporate logo.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

The type is the weakest point of the design. There is a kerning issue between the L and A that could have been addressed how the A and N were done, or at least just tightened up there. the A and N overlap create another bad eye distraction because those are the only 2 letters that are treated this way. Also, the A is even more of an oddity because of the disconnection of the crossbar. No other letter has any kind of disconnection like that. The leading could also be increased. Note the large difference of space between "Orlando" and the shield edge compared to "City", There is plenty of space under "City" and the type feels crammed together.

I agree whole-heartedly. The kerning is glaringly bad... Here's my guess how it happened:

- The organization picked out a font they wanted to use before designing the crest.

- After designing the crest, they wanted to center the A in the middle of the shield

- To continue the symmetric motif, they dropped the two Os on the outside as anchors in the exact same position.

- When they went to add the two pairs of letters, they were a little surprised to find out that the combination of RL is shorter than ND.

- Instead of picking a different type, they tried forcing the original type into the crest by doing creative edits to the letters like changing the angled stem on the R to a 45° degree angle (look how far off it is from the angled stems of the A" and cutting off the descender of the N to make room for the D.

The type is the weakest point of the design. There is a kerning issue between the L and A that could have been addressed how the A and N were done, or at least just tightened up there. the A and N overlap create another bad eye distraction because those are the only 2 letters that are treated this way. Also, the A is even more of an oddity because of the disconnection of the crossbar. No other letter has any kind of disconnection like that. The leading could also be increased. Note the large difference of space between "Orlando" and the shield edge compared to "City", There is plenty of space under "City" and the type feels crammed together.

I agree whole-heartedly. The kerning is glaringly bad... Here's my guess how it happened:

- The organization picked out a font they wanted to use before designing the crest.

- After designing the crest, they wanted to center the A in the middle of the shield

- To continue the symmetric motif, they dropped the two Os on the outside as anchors in the exact same position.

- When they went to add the two pairs of letters, they were a little surprised to find out that the combination of RL is shorter than ND.

- Instead of picking a different type, they tried forcing the original type into the crest by doing creative edits to the letters like changing the angled stem on the R to a 45° degree angle (look how far off it is from the angled stems of the A" and cutting off the descender of the N to make room for the D.

yea i can see that. not sure how closely the team was involved in this, but its a pretty sure bet they made some "suggestions" before it was finalized

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I really like the lion, but the rest is pretty underwhelming. It looks like one of the generic crests they use in Football Manager with the lion slapped on. I don't know exactly what it needs, but the crest needs something more. I little red wouldn't hurt either.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I really like this, though I might well like it more if they went without the shield shape entirely.

i was actually thinking the same thing. the lion + a wordmark i think would make for a nice logo, but how accepted would that be by soccer fans? it's like you have to have a crest or it's not a soccer logo

another thought i had was to drop this shield and go with a roundel design. then you could also work in a "O" design with that

looks like the murals are going up already: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnjUWd1IIAE97yb.jpg:large

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

A big step up from their current. I like it but there are still some issues I can't ignore that have already been mentioned...font/kerning and the tiny amount of extra space on the side of the lion head (very knit picky but its just a little too much).

I am personally glad they left out the red...if it had to be added in I guess making the outer shield line red would be alright. I think a circular crest would have looked a lot better, but it is still a top notch crest for the club.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Cool logo (lions!)

but what the hell does 'Orlando City" mean?

I think it means that they like the way "Manchester City" sounds.

I hope that doesn't catch on in North America, out of all the traditional English team names, that's probably the most simple and boring.

Also, I can't help but think that beige and white don't go all that well together on any logo.

Cool logo (lions!)

I hope that doesn't catch on in North America, out of all the traditional English team names, that's probably the most simple and boring.

Also, I can't help but think that beige and white don't go all that well together on any logo.

MLS will likely prevent teams from using the same name for the most part. Supposedly Kansas City originally wanted to rebrand as Kansas City United as reference to the Kansas-Missouri border and also because KCU would be reminiscent of university abbreviations like KU and MU. I know people whine and complain about Euro-style names in MLS, but I personally like the mixture of Soccer-style and American-style names in MLS. The mixture of culture is just so... American.

All that said, I think this is a very good logo and definite upgrade from the previous logo. I know some aren't happy about the exclusion of red, but I thought the red looked terrible with purple and gold. So well done Orlando. Well done.

Cool logo (lions!)

Uggh. Didnt even think of that as I only VERY causally follow what goes on in the EPL. More Euro-envy from the MLS.

Archived