NASL Jacksonville Armada FC

Island_Style

Old news but a search came up empty. Just a name mention in a sports thread. The NASL expansion team in Jacksonville has a name and logo. Jacksonville Armada FC. I could see it evolving to Jax Armada FC. Both sound great to me. Here is the logo.

JacksonvilleArmadaFC.PNG

I like the name a lot but the logo is a bit of a whiff. I don't like the top of the anchor at all. The As and the bottom of the shield gives me a "fright night" feeling. The colors are boring and predictable. I think it is a wash when compared to the Orlando logo. That logo deserves the nickname "Bukkake Lion."

Okay. Just off the top of my head:

JacksonvilleArmadaFC.PNG

1. The anchor is awkward and oddly stylized. What are those, wings on the top?

2. The color scheme is drab. Brightening the gold would improve it immeasurably.

3. The outlines are off. The two side "points" don't line up with the anchor's flukes.

4. White letters outlined in silver outlined in gold? Ugh. Serves only to blur the edges and reduce legibility. You want the team name to stand out, not recede into the background.

1. The anchor is awkward and oddly stylized. What are those, wings on the top?

Yes. Jacksonville is home to both Mayport Naval Station (a Navy port) and Naval Air Station Jacksonville, which is a massive facility that is the home to P-3's, P-8s, and 10,000+ Naval personnel. I would guess that the integration of the wings is a nod to NAS Jax.

Eh. I don't mind it. The version Goth posted fixed my biggest complaint. It's got a bade shape, which pays homage to traditional soccer aesthetics, but it's modern enough to do its own thing. The anchor/wings plays up the military theme well enough, and the colours work. So no real complaints.

Okay, so it has wings.

But they're poorly-executed wings. Like the rest of the logo. Uninspired design, poorly executed.

Okay, so it has wings.

But they're poorly-executed wings. Like the rest of the logo. Uninspired design, poorly executed. That outline not lining up with the anchor's flukes really bothers me - it's an amateurish mistake.

Archived